Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally got an A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Malibob, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

So been looking for quite a while now and wasn't sure whether to get someone's old project or a stock A but decided that a stock A was the way to go. I can enjoy the nostalgia of it all original while I decide how to build her up. Obviously the idea is traditional in some sense of the word. So begins a lot of reading and learning then little by little I think I will have a neat rod, a real hot rod.

[​IMG]
    1931 5 window coupe
    by Malibob, on Flickr

Well on to the reading portion.
    1st goals are 12v conversion, adjusting brakes and getting floaters for the brakes, then finding tires/wheels and tires that will last the entire build- meaning picking something that will look good now til the final outcome.

I really got to quit typing and start reading to learn.

2. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car, good luck !

3. Markmonty

Markmonty
    from Gerorgia

Congratulations! That's cool that you can drive it before you dig in!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

carmuts likes this.
  4. Sweet little "A". I'm envious.

5. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I did the same thing, bought a stocker, got the brakes up to snuff, put a 5.5 head on it and got it running secondary highway speeds==(55), and then after all that, I decided that I didn't fit in the car very well. Sold it and moved on. I still love A's and yours looks like a keeper. Good luck with your build.

6. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

7. I honestly think that buying a complete running original is the way to go,,I have built quiet a few junkers and having to source all the missing parts is a pain.

You did good! HRP

Markmonty likes this.
  8. bigorangetruck

bigorangetruck
    from TX

Good grief, my Dad would kill me if I bought something like that and altered it!!
    You gotta pick your battles I guess... Love the color and good luck!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the concept of doing the brake thing and wheel and tire thing and hopping up the banger on that particular car.

10. cool, looks super solid

11. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Thanks guys. Been wanting to do this for a long time. This thing is a blast to drive the way it is though even though it is slower than molasses. Got to use the crank to start it today, battery wasn't quite charged enough. Glad I had the crank. Can't wait to change the tires and tubes and try to get her over 45.

kiwijeff and Markmonty like this.
  12. Speed~On

Speed~On

Great score. That's a very nice '31. Does it have the late indented firewall, too? You made a good decision. Starting with a complete and solid car is a great way to go about this.

13. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Looks nice! Time to chop it ;-)

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Sweet. Have fun.
    Can't wait for the Model A Museum Club soap opera, but I say modify a little, drive, & enjoy a traditional hot rod.

15. Way to go! Did just the same with my first '29.
    Did the Snyders head, intake, 94 carb, exhaust and electronic ignition. She'd do 60-65 on flat ground. Hydraulic brakes to match the speed.

Have fun

16. Real nice car, I think you are smart going this route, good luck on your project!!

17. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Need inspiration? Look at this banger Model-A.

quickrack-alan likes this.
  18. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

No chop- I am too tall

They are welcome to chime in, but I have my reasons. Hard to buy a running driving car that you can enjoy while you improve on, this one seemed like a perfect candidate. I will gladly trade anyone for a Brookville bodied A on 32 rails with a flathead, wide whites, a quick change rear end and juice brakes that is running and driving. Just to preserve the heritage you know? LOL

ALWAYS loved that video, watched that a million times and thought how bad ass it would be to own an unassuming car like that.

Thanks to the rest of you guys- appreciate your support.

19. Nice plan - I like it !

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

My A was slow, even a nuisance to other traffic until I put a 7:1 Lion Speed head on it. Now it flys! I got rid of that awful transmission and have a wonderful fully synchronised 3 speed with overdrive. Skip right past 39-48 Lockheed brakes and use Bendix with self adjusters. On tour I learned that every car that problems was always points and condenser so go with Pertronix

for brakes read post number 16
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/brakes-39-48-lincoln-brakes-useful-numbers.6468/

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  21. Thats funny the guys in my local MAFCA Chapter love my coupe. They say it reminds them of A's in the 50's.

Nice looking coupe you have there Malibob. Drive it as is for a while and just enjoy it as a "time machine". Do your research and study, then start upgrading. The Les Andrews Red book is your bible as far as mechanics go, the green book covers upgrades and the blue is for trouble shooting

22. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

HOLY cotter pins. I took a couple of leafs out of the front spring last night just to try to get the car to sit a little better and whoa nelly were there a ton of cotter pins all over. When replacing I was going to add split or lock washers for some- like the center spring mount instead of the cotter pins, anyone have any thoughts on that?

Drove it to work today.
    [​IMG]
    #1931 #modela #5windowcoupe to #work today
    by Malibob, on Flickr

bluestang67 likes this.
  23. the lock washers may work in some places but I went back with the pins. On the shackles you don't want to tighten them up tight as it will make it bind, so you will need the cotter pins there so the nuts won't come loose.

24. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

I agree, I am thinking like U-Joints and things that don't constantly move. Thanks 46international

25. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

bluestang67 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  26. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

what kind of trans?
    I have seen Mitchells and Ruckstells- but those are both hard if not difficult to find and even harder to pay for.

27. Probably a f150 trans from the 80's.

I personally like taking a stocker and cutting it up.

If it were mine. I'd drive it as is until I gathered up all the suspension stuff.

I'd pick out wheels and tires first. 5.50x 16 or 6.00x16 and 7.00 or 7.50 x 16 Either steelies or wires. you can put these on immediately.

I'd get a reverse eye spring for the front and rear. A 4 inch dropped model A axle from Joe's speed shop.
    v8 spindles and lockhead or bendix brakes. Bendix is certainly better. But sometimes you just gotta go with what you can find. Also if you want wires I believe they don't work with the Bendix drums.

Once I had everything ready to go I would swap it out as one project.

there are a million little details to work out depending on how you do it you can find everything you need to know on here. Have fun!

grego31 likes this.
  28. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

It's like you are in my brain man.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good . Glad you are on your way to make it your own.

30. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Took a couple leafs out of the front to see if my spring was worthy of reversing the arch. Think I am going to have to get a new main leaf though- seems little weak. Anyways, it got the car down a little bit.
    [​IMG]
    DSC_5587
    by Malibob, on Flickr
    Waiting on Hershey to find a police head, if not Winfield will be ordered and Mallory 2301105 distributor.

grego31, bluestang67 and Hotrodmyk like this.