Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Came out great!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I swapped out the wheels on my 34 for the race of gentleman. The white walks just weren't fitting for the blown race car look

Attached Files:

3. your coupe turned out great!

4. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

I want your blower for the race though...... HAHA

5. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

for the last month the model a coupe has been torn apart... the engine was getting tired.. so a month before the race of gentlemen, i decided to do a total rebuild.
    we yanked the engine. tore it down only to find some sludge in the pan and a pickup tube full of holes. that would explain my oil pressure situations.. and i also found 13 valves that were not sealing at all.
    so i sent the block out. had it all cleaned and i had the crank turned and polished. brought it all back home to start my build. ended up getting a set of NOS pistons, NOS pickup tube and some other small parts. i ordered stainless straight stem one piece valves, guides, keepers, retainers and springs... i also ordered a set of johnson adjustable lifters, and an isky 1007B grind cam from delta cams on an original ford core. . Assembly began.... About a day or so of carefully grinding valves and lapping them in, the motor was on its way to being whole again. i installed my set of aluminum heads and a set dual groove head mount water pumps.. Copper head gaskets helped seal it all up.. so the motor was all done, painted and back in the car..
    next it was the mcculloch supercharger.. ive been having oiling trouble with it.. it seemed to run hot like it was starving for oil. So i sucked it up and dismantled it completely.. I found lots and lots of hard burnt oil chunks and a poorly placed shim gasket.. I cleaned it all very well, making sure to keep it in order.. i shot a nice coat of red paint on it, buffed the top cover, and it was back together the same night.. free as it could be and it flowed oil great.
    we reassemble the entire unit onto the motor.. went to fire the engine and it would not run.. not at all.. it would not even fire... after a few hours i come to realize what the problem was... When i ran this engine before, it was pooped, so when i got my new dizzy from bubba, i had to back off the brake so it worked properly with the crappy vacuum i had... so with the new engine all tight, sealing valves, and good compression, the vacuum was ten times what it was before. So i did some adjusting and it fired right up.. a few days of tuning and its really running great.. this little 21 stud is hot!!
    im not sure how or what guys do to invest soo much money in a flathead.. but i rebuilt this engine for less than $2000 there is 2 used parts inside,, the crank and the rods... thats it. everything else is new.. and i did not skimp on parts.. ive linked a few videos on here... the first one is almost the first fire.. you can here it not idling correctly....
    the second video is in the garage after alot of tuning.. its better but not perfect.. last night i got the car spot on! but no video yet.. and after a road test, this thing revs to the hill with power in all RPMS... that may be from me knocking almost 20lbs of cast off the flywheel also..... i forgot to mention that part! later on ill post some build pictures.

kiwijeff, Hotrodmyk and drmrman like this.
  6. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds healthy. Can't wait to see it on the sand.

drmrman likes this.
  7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Dude,
    You are a hot rodder !!!!
    A street machiner would have bought dual carbs,intake,billett distributor and a set of finned heads direct from Speedway, adding another $2500 to the engine bill, then trailered the car to the event in a enclosed trailer pulled by a new diesel rig......:D
    Not to count the gold chain and $300 dollar tennis shoes!!!!!:eek:

Keep it up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amen for guys like you !!!!!!

hotrodderhaag and drmrman like this.
  8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Sounds great! Nice job.

9. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

sounds killer!!! very cool

10. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

thanks jim,
    i do what i can with what i got. i need to give you a call about some timing brake springs and the plunger.
    it seems like i need it to advance a little faster....it has a slight hesitation and from what i can tell the carbs are giving a good shot of fuel, not too much, but enough. so it seems to need advanced faster.

11. "Ah, a fresh Flathead in the morning" nothing finer!!!!!!

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  12. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Send me a picture of the distributor you are running and i will get ya one built that has 22 degrees of advance and comes in quick with out the vacuum retard and you can try that....

All i need to know is how many holes on the back side three or four and how many bolts hold the coil down 2 or three.....Let me know and i can get you done yet this week.....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

it a 3 bolt dizzy with 3 bolts holding the coil down..
    if you can get it out this week i would shit! it would be a good test for the race of gentlemen!! id like to get a stock condenser off you also. its very hard to squeeze that external one in there.
    ill PM you with info!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  14. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

got it workin.........

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

if it wouldnt wake up the wife and some neighbors, i would start it every morning...

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

This thing is BAD! I know everyone is mesmerized by the forced intake charge but I dig the paint and stance equally as much.

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

thank you!! in all honesty, this car has developed into something i never would have imagined.. When i first decided to buy a model a, i wanted a fenderless, chopped hotrod.. boy am i glad i kept it the way it is.. to me, this is a REAL hot rod.. i couldnt be happier.. its taken alot of patients and a few good friends to scrounge the parts needed to build it... Tuning the flathead also has been a task with the supercharger. ive herd of guys bolting them on and jsut running them. not the case here... These things are ancient.. no one knows exactly what is needed to make it run perfect. luckily i have had alot of help from jim linder at Bubbas ignitions.. i have documented every ounce of what has been done, tuning wise, so that it will preform like it should.. so maybe someday i can help anyone out that has decided to go this route!

with the new engine, and that wonderful cam, there is nothing like riding in the car, hearing the lope, the two carbs above the cowl, and the whistle when you lay into it....
    for an 85 horse flathead, this car is no slouch. .

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Where would you rate it on the reliability scale?

.. Say, "drive it to LSRU in Austin" level? ;)

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i would drive it to austin tomorrow. ive put 10k trouble free miles on this car since u built it.... and the only issue i had was some timing on the dizzy and when the engine started to lose oil pressure from being 73 years old., ( remanufactured in 1941)
    now with a new engine.. its good to go. ive driven it to 3 states so farn, Ohio, NY and WV.. and not just across the border.

im going to talk to neal in cali about a new steering box. mine wonders a bit, and im having the original model a shocks rebuilt. after those two things are done.. it will be 100% reliable and comfortable.
    so far ive only done a 8-9 hour round trip.

20. I couldn't agree with you more. I have a stock banger '30 coupe. Im enjoying it now before the overhaul. I took the fenders off already. I have a '50 flattie at the machine shop right now. The common hot rodder gets an A coupe and what do they do? Show some leg and give it a hair cut. I was going to run mine as an open wheel high boy. After following your build, I think I'm going to put the fenders back on. Yours has a bad ass stance, not to mention the flattie. The more I see fenders on a coupe it grows on me more.

Streetrods are drivin' by Chevy, Hotrods are powered by Ford!

21. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Fenders are great. . I love open wheel cars too.. banger high boy model a's are an eye catcher. They give it that look as someone wanted to take the family car and give it some attitude. . That's awesome. I had intentions of fender less and chopped.... I couldn't chop it and my fenders were too nice to mess with. So they stayed! . A banger is a great engine.. leave it in there.. get some cool old bolt ons, maybe a winfield head or even a cyclone head.a cool header and dual 97s... ohhh yea. . That's sweet. Not to many guys do that.. I miss my banger engine sometimes. It was fun.. the flathead is great but my next model a I build will be a banger. .. my belly tank project is going to be to banger powered..

The best advice I can give you is this,
    DRIVE IT ! Don't tear it all apart. . Drive it till the spokes fly out of the wheels. Then Bolt new wheels on and keep on driving.. not everyone gets to drive their car. They spend 4 years building it instead. Don't get me wrong the work is fun. .. but climbing in a car and cruising with some friends or going to a local dairy queen on a later summer evening..... nothing like it.

Keep it mobile !

22. It is an awesome feeling that everyone should expierence once. Now for me it has grown into a monster. The '31 truck has a bored out banger waiting for it. The '30 coupe is going to get the flattie, and the '31 town sedan is getting a sbc.

Streetrods are drivin' by Chevy, Hotrods are powered by Ford!

23. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

in 4 days, this coupe will be heading to the race of gentlemen in wildwood NJ. Im extremely excited to get this car out on the beach and really open it up.. I have done several runs up and down the road and this car is pretty strong. The key will be making it move in the sand.! Im having a little trouble with over flow of water. it really seems to me like the pumps are pumping too fast at higher rpms. It doesnt get hot. it stays at 170 or less. But if your shoving the spoon down, it seems to blow water. I did lower the water level in the radiator and that has helped. seems like it can flow a little faster now. Im also considering yanking the rad off and back flushing it before we leave thursday. Im afraid it has some rust in it from when i had the engine jet washed at the machine shop. I did notice a few chunks in there. Just hope it didnt plug up and cooling tubes.

24. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

I just had mine at the rad shop. had all the old repairs melted out and re soldered. and had it boiled! Flows pretty good. Worth the couple bucks and should get done in a day.

25. here is a blown 21 stud for you :) hehe (i like yours bether tho..) 10455998_639888552768035_5432939222737827986_n.jpg

26. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

joe... I'm running aluminum. They said they can't to much to get anything out of the cores of it other than pressurized water

27. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Oh... I see i didnt know that. Sorry dude.

28. joemac05

joemac05

OK for a 4 banger if you are running an aluminum rad the new water pump instructions show how to remove some of the impeller material. Other wise the AL rad cannot flow as fast as the pump puts out. Plain and simple they say it will not work and you will have water everywhere but in the cooling system. I would imagine a Flathead with two water pumps would be twice as bad.

29. joemac05

joemac05

Now that I thinks about it I remember back in the day we used to put restrictors in the top rad hoses to slow things down, as well as cut the impellers when we raced em on the circle track.

30. Hell I run the flat fed every once in a while just to wake the neighbors up.........................especially the ass in the back of me..................