Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Y BLOCK DYNO DAY

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mummert, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I'd like to ask,about water pump n upper hoses on dyno,I see a small bleed screw that maybe there,as there is no small cross hose from water pump to thermostat housing top hose.? Is that so air pocket dose not from in top part of water pump?

2. todd ferguson

todd ferguson

fal 5 rs.jpg fal 7 rs.jpg wheel tub modification remount fuel tank and battery mount.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. ohv4d

ohv4d

The bleed hole is to let air out during cooling system fill. This is a part Ted Eaton made.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. ohv4d

ohv4d

After quite a few all-nighters Todd got the Y-Block powered 64 Falcon out to Barona for the Antique Drags. It looks a whole lot better than the crusty "behind the barn find" he started with. First pass was 6.96 @ 98mph. There's still some left in the tune up and set-up and better weather will help too.
    John Hildebrand took his Y-Block powered 31 Coupe to the final round in the Gambler but lost to Rick Reynolds in his BBFord powered Pinto.
    TF-10-14lr.jpg

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  5. todd ferguson

todd ferguson

fal 8.jpg fal 9 rs.jpg pictures getting close to track time.

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Wow that is a great shot the headers look like "Thunderbird" wings.

dana barlow likes this.
  7. Mummert

Mummert

We've been working on the falcon. A few changes to the rear suspension and plumbing some cool air to the carburetor.
    We'll test it out this weekend coming up.

dana barlow likes this.
  8. Mummert

Mummert

The car made some nice improvements this weekend. 6.78 @100.5 mph 1/8th mile. Almost 2 tenths and 2 mph.

dana barlow likes this.
  9. 65COMET

65COMET

WOW;2 tenths and two mph in the 1/8th is a good improvement!! The Falcon looks too kool!! ROY.

10. Mummert

Mummert

Thanks Roy. Were getting close. We had some low hanging fruit from our first venture out. The cars is expected to run about a tenth quicker in its current configuration. The 60' foot are 1.47 -1.49 right now. Were looking to trim this a bit more. We have video going off to Cal Trac so we'll see what they come up with.
    The engine is a little bit different. We were using a borrowed carb from our other y block on the dyno and the carburetor we were gonna use had issues. Long story short were tuning the carb at the track, but its getting fairly close.
    We'll see what we come up with in 2 weeks.
    Right now our goal is D Gas at the March Meet.

dana barlow likes this.
  11. 65COMET

65COMET

WOW;D/GAS,TOO KOOL!!!The gas classes have some Heavy Hitters,you will need to get that Falcon to leave HARD!!! ROY.

12. Mummert

Mummert

We've doing some more racing and tuning on the Falcon. Todd took Super Pro at Barona on Saturday. He went out in the semi's for King of the Track. However the cars did run it fastest and quickest time. 6.69 et 100.6 mph and brokeout.

dana barlow likes this.
  13. 65COMET

65COMET

Mummert;it sounds like you are getting a handle on the setup!! D/GAS is going to be a tough nut,need to get the Falcon to leave HARD!!!! ROY.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sent you a message John, I want to get one of your aluminum valley pans with the baffled PCV provision.
    Larry.

dana barlow likes this.
  15. Mummert

Mummert

Were definitley brain storming Roy. The car is starting to go red with the slow button( long throw) , and the regular PA tranny break. It does have the small diameter front tires which is helping the R/T. I think were gonna run the rest of this year on this tranny break and then switch it to the Redneck break or the PA 4ths break.
    Were hoping that with the faster break the slow button and larger diameter front tires will slow it down enough to run a 5ths sportsman, and then switch front tires and the fast button will work for D Gas. We'll just have to test it see.

16. Mummert

Mummert

Blue One you can call the shop @ 619-596-0312 I think we have some but we'll have to check... John goes by ohv4d on this website. Thanks Geoff Mummert

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Geoff;I may be wrong [won't be the first time] but I believe D/GAS is on a .5 Pro tree,not a .4 Pro tree. ROY.

18. Mummert

Mummert

I thought it sounded strange myself, but the rulebook says that " competition is based on a 4 tenths heads up pro tree"for A-D gas

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Geoff;I got an answer,.4 PRO tree in D/GAS! ROY.

20. Mummert

Mummert

Were heading back out the track this weekend. A few small changes on the intake manifold and the front suspension. The rain has delayed us for a while so we get back out there and see if we've made any progress.

65COMET likes this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm still waiting on that valley pan Geoff, I did call the shop but John said there were none ready to go yet. I want one with the baffled port on the rear for the PCV.
    Larry.

22. Mummert

Mummert

Blue One. We're finishing up intake manifolds right now. We'll be doing cylinder head qualifying next week. Valley Covers will get started after the new year.

After taking the falcon out last weekend we saw some nice gains with car running personal bests. 6.64 1/8th mile at 101.9. The manifold work looks like it was worth a solid 1 mph. 60' times 1.43-1.44 avg .02 quicker. Early next season were looking another solid tenth.. After some more work on the car.

rodl, loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  23. Lancer

Lancer

Fantastic to see this. Wow, amazing numbers.

rodl likes this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll be waiting patiently. :)

rodl likes this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

26. Mummert

Mummert

March-Meet-2016-Famoso-Saturday-launches-61.jpg We had a good time up there. We went home early, red light. The car ran well, 10.28 at 127.7mph. We did learn a bit though, and that always helps. The 331in. motor really liked the 4.88 rear gear. The 343 was leveling off just after the 1000' mark.
    Car ran .15 sec. quicker than last year but the same mph. Some 4.56 rear gears will be going in the car pretty quick.
    We are trying to get the new motor finished up so we can put 343in. motor back in the 31'coupe.
    The next Y block shootout will be out at Barona April 30 in conjunction with Antique Drags.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    dana barlow likes this.
  27. Great thread. Nice numbers John and thanks for keeping the y-block dream alive.

28. Mummert

Mummert

Best 1/8th mile stats at Famoso were 6.47 ET 103.7 mph 1.41 60'

29. F100Jay

F100Jay

This is excellent. Brilliant figures. When i originally bought my F100 last year..I was actually thinking about ditching the Y-Block for a more modern setup. After falling in love with it though over the last few months I will be keeping it and rebuilding it in the near future. So much character.

rodl likes this.