Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. 296ardun

296ardun

THANKS!! These photos are priceless!....so are the stories...

I grew up in Pasadena and still remember the early hot rods, probably saw some of these pictured here..the original PRC was pretty much gone when I started hot rodding...though I worked for Don Blair, who was in the Gophers.........Please keep them coming

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

Excellent photo's! The timing tag is too cool.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Richard (EV8G)

Richard (EV8G)

Back in June 2009, Mike came to our shop looking for a hydraulic brake conversion for his 1936 Wagon.
    The subject of the "old" Pasadena Roadster Club came up, maybe because I had some stuff from the current Club sitting in my office? He told me that his Dad and Uncle had been members of the original Club back in the late 40's and had run at the Dry Lakes. He went on to tell me that he had photo albums and programs and timing tags that his Mom had saved all through the years. She had written all of the times and speeds in the programs and had included captions with the photos in the albums. On a subsequent visit
    , he brought a photo album and a program from El Mirage dated April 24-25 1948. He left them with me and allowed me to make copies to share with the current PRC members. Later on, he attended a PRC monthly meeting and brought all his stuff to share.

In April 2012, I received a phone call from a gentleman named Bruce, who advised me that he was trying to "re-create" his Grandfather Elmer's 1932 roadster. He told me that Elmer had been a member of the PRC and ran his car at El Mirage in 1949 and was now 81 years old. Bruce said that he had a trophy and plaque and maybe some old photos. I advised him of the upcoming PRC 10th Anniversary Picnic at Newcomb Ranch and invited him to come and bring Elmer...

We had also invited Mike to attend and to bring his stuff...

During the picnic, Mike and Bruce and Elmer met and shared a table and their stuff. Elmer had brought a dash plaque and Mike had the original event program, and Mike's Mom had recorded Elmer's time and speed in the program, which matched the plaque. This occurred some 63 years after the event... It also happened that Pat Ganahl was attending and gave Elmer a ride in his roadster. I had intended to follow up with Pat to encourage him to do a story that would include Mike and Elmer's stuff and the "against all odds" meeting after so many years. Due to being so busy and occupied with work, I failed to do so. It would be good if this "historical occasion" could be better documented. If anyone is interested in doing so, let me know.

4. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Wow! Thanks woodiemike! Dang, looks like you have the makings for a book. Just ONE of these photos can keep you occupied for quite a while. The 25 T with the messy garage scene, bungalow backgrounds etc... Big thanks to you and your family for keeping these photos safe.

5. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Man, they are terrific! Thanks so much and welcome to the clan.

Stogy likes this.
  6. @woodiemike -

Welcome to the HAMB logo.jpg !!!

I see you actually joined on June 19, 2010 ... Glad that after 4+ years, you finally decided to post! ... Simply fantastic photographs!!! :cool: ... Let's hope you don't wait 4 more years to post more vintage Hot Rod pics! :rolleyes:

Thanks a ton for sharing!!! :D

chryslerfan55, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Outstanding! Thanks and welcome aboard!

Stogy likes this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thank you so much Mike. We here at the HAMB live for this stuff that you are so kind to take the time and share. I could invest all day and night studying your fathers photos and any info you pass along. Thanks for coming onboard.

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

9. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1039.JPG IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1039.JPG IMG_1040.JPG
    Hello 296ardun...thought you might enjoy some pictures of Don's cars. My Dad knew Don also. I remember going to his Speed Shop in the early 60's. They went to school together. Keep checking in, I have more to come! IMG_1039.JPG

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  10. inline 292

inline 292

Thank you & your family for preserving & sharing this great history.

Stogy likes this.
  11. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1038.JPG roadsters,midgets,motorcycles 020.jpg roadsters,midgets,motorcycles 020.jpg Again I want to thank all of you for the support and praise. I think I'm getting the hang of things!? I have been a member for some time, but have been content to sit on the sideline and enjoy all the articles, and pictures from everyone. I'm privileged to have this platform for so many of you can enjoy the "golden era" as I have for many years. The HAMB is fantastic. Where else can you go and get the knowledge that the members are so gladly to give freely? I only hope that I am able to give back somewhat in that regard. If these pictures spark an interest, help a project, than I think I will have helped in some small way! Hey Richard....thanks for the "shout out"!! For those of you who don't know member Richard [ev8g], he own's the Early V8 Garage in West Covina, Calif. Richard is a wealth of information, and a great guy. Call him if you have any questions, or needs. Richard was also one of the people instrumental in resurrecting the Pasadena Roadster Club. Kuddo's to you Richard!! The planet's, star's, and karma all had to be lined up the day of the 10 Annual PRC Picnic, when I met Elmer, and his Grandson Bruce. Like Richard said, not only did I have the Program that my Mom had filled out with his exact time that was on his timing plaque, but to his dismay, in my Dad's album was two pictures of his car!! One is of his car in my Dad's driveway!!! What are the odd's of that?? I have attached the pictures of Elmer's car, affectionately called Elmer's Boat?! As usual, I'm sure I have rambled on enough. So boy's and girl's; buckle up as I have plenty more to post!!

12. Richard (EV8G)

Richard (EV8G)

Mike, thanks for posting your stuff for all to enjoy, and thanks for the nice things you said about me. I
    would like to clarify that, while I was very involved in the new PRC starting in early 2004, credit for the actual "ressurection" was the work of whom I often refer to as the "Magnificent 7" who got together in
    2002-03 and made it happen. I was invited to join the Club in about April 2004, a few months prior to the first re-running of the PRC Reliability Run. I did then recruit several other new members and we all then worked very hard to stage the subsequent Runs. Alot of credit for that success belongs to the actual
    participants, and especially their hot rods, without whom/which the Runs would not have been possible.
    As most people in the Hot Rod World know, the original runs started and finished at the Rose Bowl. Due to the popularity of that venue for other various events, after the 2nd "new" Run, it became impossible to continue to use that site and we had to relocate subsequent runs to the the PCC parking lot...

13. Damn.....bad ass post. Love the old pictures. Thank you sir. Your father was indeed "touched", but evidently in the right way. What an awesome bit of family history. Thanks again.

Stogy likes this.
  14. ownster

ownster

Post 'em all!

Stogy likes this.
  15. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Thanks for posting, it's great to see pictures like how it really was.

Stogy likes this.
  16. GaryC.

GaryC.

Thanks so much for sharing your album. Those are great photos!
    A fine way to start the day.

I'll follow this thread and hope to see many more.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Spooky like this.
  17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

What a great history lesson here. Thanks for sharing!

Stogy likes this.
  18. 562roadster

562roadster

Love this thread! Thank you for taking the time to post.

Stogy likes this.
  19. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey 562roadster..is that the blue Roadster P/U that is at Ruby's occasionally?

20. Oh my,
    Yeah, I think you can probably stick around.
    Thanks for sharing these incredible photos and stories!

21. Awesome, very nice photos. Must have been a great time for you guys, at least in terms of racing these jalopies.

Stogy likes this.
  22. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Love the speed progression comments in the photo album. I can picture them trying something new, going faster, coming back to the garage and rearranging, doing it again, etc.

23. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Great thread. Keep the photos coming.

Stogy likes this.
  24. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

[​IMG]
    I think all of these pictures are great but especially like this one.Just look at the background. It catches a period when cars were built in garages with dirt floors,(yes I see this one looks like concrete) canvas doors and one 100 watt light bulb hanging from the dusty rafters. I was looking at the laundry hanging there and wondering how many times the builders were chewed out for dusting the sheets with a blast of exhaust form a car being tuned!

Yes keep on posting and thank you for sharing.

25. Man, this thread is killer I absolutely love this type of stuff. Thank you so much for sharing these photos aslong as people love real 40s hot rods then these guys memories will live on. Can't wait to see more and if you can scan the 27T on the first page of the album that would be amazing.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I thought I'd seen and heard all the old archival pictures, stories, meetings...
    Mike, this is like...amazing. So glad Pat was there to meet with Elmer and his son...and gave Elmer a ride...
    Years ago, I attended a 'Forever Four' event at Pomona. Before I knew it, I was jawing with Kong Jackson, who cruised me thru a host of famous guys, guys I had only read about in the Little pages, etc.
    Your posts and pics are in the same caliber. The real stuff, served up on a personal platter.

I feel like what my HAMB brothers have expressed: Real gratified.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  27. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sounding off 39 guy, I appreciate the feedback. As I said in an earlier post, I love this shot also. I have the PRC plate that is on the back of the car. You are right in the fact that it just show's the "bare bones" of the early Hot Rod day's! They used what they could get their hand's on. Remember, this was war time. Everything was done in a garage or back yard back then. Nice mention on the laundry, don't see much of that now day's. Now that I think about it...gives a whole new meaning to "airing out the family laundry"! HA! Keep checking the post, more to follow. Thanks again to all have left feedback!!!!

28. 296ardun

296ardun

Mike, thanks, I will keep checking back, and thanks for the Blair picture...I worked there from '62 to mid-'64 when the Navy called....it was a great place to work...I look forward to more pictures!

29. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

scan0002.jpg scan0003.jpg scan0004.jpg scan0005.jpg scan0006.jpg scan0007.jpg scan0008.jpg scan0009.jpg scan0010.jpg scan0011.jpg scan0012.jpg scan0015.jpg scan0016.jpg scan0017.jpg scan0018.jpg
    OK kids...I'm back!!! I have decided to not only post the pages in the album as they are, but I am also going to post the pictures themselves. A lot of you have requested that also. Along with the fact that sometime's the background is just as interesting as the picture. I'm happy to oblige where I can. I think they will come out much better to see for all concerned. I don't want to abandon the pages, as I think it gives all the pictures a great amount of personality. Agree? It may take me longer to get through the album, but I think it will be well worth the time. I'm totally humbled by the amount of response that all of you have shown. I think I have touched a lot of people, and for that I am grateful. So on that note, I will plow ahead, and as always, if there is anything I can redo or do, let me know and I will try to get it done. Buckle up Kid's!!!! Here we go again!!!!

63fdsnr, Okie Pete, Nobey and 11 others like this.
  30. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Thank you so much for posting these wonderful photos,they made the past a little more clear in my mind.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

chryslerfan55 and Pat Pryor like this.