Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest HAGERTY ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE SUCKS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37hotrod, Sep 22, 2014.

1. 7:30 P.M. - Broke down in the '35 last night. Stalled out in traffic, and wouldn't restart for love or money. Pushed it into a nearby gas station, and tried to get it started. No dice. I am only a couple of miles from the house, so I figured I would call Hagerty Roadside Assistance. I have the car insured with them, and I am paying for the service, so might as well use it. Called up, get put on hold for 30 minutes while they "dispatch' a flatbed. Finally come back on the line, and tell me that the wrecker they called would take 2 hours to get there. They promised to find me a truck sooner than that.
    9:30 P.M. - After calling them numerous times for updates, since they aren't calling me back, I ask if the tow truck is arriving soon. They tell me that they didn't dispatch the truck at 7:30, and now it is too late at night to get a truck, and the wrecker service "doesn't want to haul an old car anyway". I inform them that if they had dispatched the truck originally, it would be there now. I also remind them that all they do is deal with old cars, and they should have a provider network that can handle them. They want to schedule a pickup sometime tomorrow, when it is more convenient. I am supposed to just leave my car sitting, unsecured, and hope that nothing happens to it.
    9:40 P.M. - I make 2 phone calls, and find a flatbed close to me that can be there in less than 30 minutes. The tow truck driver, upon hearing that I have Hagerty, replies that no one wants to take work from Hagerty, because they refuse to authorize payment up front, and the tow companies are tired of having to chase them down to get paid. $85 dollars later, my car is back in the garage, safe.
    11:00 A.M. - Call Hagerty to try to get reimbursed for my tow bill, and to express my displeasure at their :service". They don't care, keep hiding behind the "I'm not authorized to help you" smokescreen, and are unwilling to find me someone higher up the food chain to talk to. They also refuse to refund my tow bill.
    I WILL be switching insurance companies. Why would I continue to do business with a company that doesn't value me, my car, my safety, or my continued patronage. I hope that Hagerty goes bankrupt over the loss of my premiums, but I know they won't miss me. If enough people get tired of being treated poorly, maybe they'll change their business model. I'm not holding my breath.

Rant over. Back to the garage to fix my car.

2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Enlightening. Don't know if it is an option for you but I have AAA for my cars and Sea Tow for my boat. Being stranded sucks, and I can only imagine your frustration.

3. TurnpikeCruiser

TurnpikeCruiser

Wow...somewhere you should be able to find a higher-level manager number. Good luck trying to get reimbursement if you are planning on fighting still. I'd be spreading that story like wildfire and report 'em to the BBB or something.

As a AAA member they've responded to my calls at some late hours to help me out when I've locked my keys in the car...

4. Good to know how poorly you were treated. It could help someone else decide which insurer to go with.

5. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Hagerty does suck the hairy sweaty one. I switched from them years ago. I too have AAA and they are awesome!!!

6. Silverplate

Silverplate

I have Heacock and they are awesome.

7. missysdad1

missysdad1

I've got AAA premium. Broke down on the way home from LSRU a couple years ago in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, on a Sunday evening. Called AAA, no problem. Got a tow after a somewhat long wait - but it was Sunday evening, after all. Towed me over 100 miles to home and didn't cost a dime. I never leave home without it.

8. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I feel your pain my fellow car buddy. I have AAA and Grundy Insuance for my '40 Coupe. So far so good. They are polite, fast and great premiums! Give them a call. I've only heard poor things about Hagerty. Low prices but low service does not equal a bargin.

impala59 likes this.
  9. txturbo

txturbo

I've never had that problem with Hagerty.

10. Thanks for the heads up. I purchased Grundy last year. I was debating between the two. Glad I didn't get Hagerty. I have AAA roadside assistance that covers any car I am in.

11. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I had hagerty on a 54 Chevy 5 yrs ago. it caught fire and was eventually totaled. it took from Oct 30 to Feb 15 to settle the claim & get my money. I stuck with Hagerty for the replacement car I bought, but after price shopping I switched to Grundy for the same coverage at half the cost.

12. I've been with AAA premium for over 20 years. I have never had a problem and believe me I have been broke down in some weird, out of the way places. Late at night and so forth. Both daily drivers and hot rods. Always good service.
    Later,
    Dick

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've always had Grundy, no complaints here. Have had our OT Vette hauled home twice, they paid as soon as they got the bill. The towing company I use is owned by a friend, so I don't pay him until they pay me. Never had a problem getting somebody to talk to, or getting paid.

14. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I have AAA & several cars ensured with Grundy. Had a recent claim on one of my cars & Grundy called the day after the adjuster looked at it to tell me a check would arrive shortly.

15. 327Eric

327Eric

I have had bad experiences with AAA for insurance, and am with another company with fair roadside coverage, so I have AAA roadside only, which works great for me.

16. lahti35

lahti35

I never got far enough with Hagerty to get insurance... sounds like it was a good thing afterall! I don't buy that car people for car people BS for one minute.

They won't insure your old car unles every driver in the house has a newish car for transport. Ran into this while trying to insure an old army jeep while my daily driver was a '61 Falcon and my wifes car a 1995 toyota wagon. Said they were concerned I would use the army jeep as trasportation if the Falcon broke down as its old. All this after they did that year of driving a model A stunt. Ok for them to drive an oldie 365 days a year but not me huh?... Nuts to you Hagerty!...

The Falcon has never left me stranded... it didn't burn up it's camshaft at 75,000mi like the 2005 Chevy Colorado it replaced.

Special Ed likes this.
  17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, Grundy and AAA premium for towing. These two together are less expensive than Hagerty.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. x2 da way to go

19. I broke down in the middle of nowhere once, had a fellow rodder stop to help, I didn't have AAA, but they used theirs to have me hauled in. When I got home I got AAA. I have my rod insured with all my other cars by American Family. I just carry liability on the rod, so I've never had any dealings with damage on the car.

20. toughnut

toughnut
    from Arizona

WOW! They just want your money, and want to do the least they can to earn it. Sounds like every other insurance company. Ever see a poor insurance agent? I'm going to pass on Haggerty. Thanks for the heads-up.

21. A note on AAA... I found out the hard way that when you let your collector car insurance lapse or they cancel your insurance because they no longer are writing policies in FL and you still have the valid plate for the collector car (in Florida) and don't turn in the plate, they suspend your license. So I'm in my daily and I get stopped and the officer takes my plate and my DL... and tells me to park the truck because he can't let me drive it (the .25 mile) home. He asks me if I have AAA, and I do. He says to call them and they will tow it.

I call AAA and they say that none of their providers will tow a car without a plate.

So....
    1) Make sure your plate is secure on your car, because if you lose it, AAA won't tow you.
    2) Check to see if your DL has been suspended regularly

22. ken05k

ken05k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Jasper, AR

Wow, hate to see all the bad luck with Hagerty Roadside Assistance cause I have had great luck with them. First time-I had bought a 29 Model A Pickup and am driving it home to Arkansas from Ohio and out on I70 in the middle of Indiana I blow out the right rear. Bummer! I call them figuring they would find a roll-back to haul me somewhere I can get a tire. Well, the lady not only did that but was on the phone to all over trying to find me a tire. That she did in Terra Haute so there I went on a roll-back and got all fixed up. Second time-I take my 46 Coupe to town for a Memorial Day Doing. On the way home I lose all power in the car. Call them figuring it being a holiday and all that I am in trouble. The lady finds me a roll-back than hauls me home so all I got to say about Hagerty is that they are great.

23. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I've used my AAA twice as a passenger in someones car that needed towing and I was afforded the same service as if it were my car. Another Grundy and AAA satisfied customer here.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

24. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

After never being picked up by AAA I canceled. They may show up, but I always either managed a repair or found someone to help me long before that. When I need a towing service I just call one on my own. I have Grundy and should probably send them a claim but I haven't yet.

25. AAA and Grundy are the gold standard.

26. 59 brook

59 brook

they all suck at times. that's why i have AAA and classic collector's roadside . i learn to call them both and when one shows up ill call and cancel the other. on the other hand ,it can be a lifesaver

27. younggto

younggto
    from Erie, PA

I cancelled Hagerty a number of years ago (with zero claims) when they sent me a letter saying my rates would be going up for an age group I wasn't even part of. Been Grundy since

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

AAA is the best!
    The alternator bolts broke on my 32,about 100miles from my house.
    They were there with a flat bed in 35 min. on a Sunday morning.
    Driver was great guy, and was worried about how he secured my car down!
    Glad I had there service!

29. TexasDart

TexasDart

I used AAA a few weeks ago in Eureka Springs AR. My battery had died with no notice...in my OT. They got there before I could walk back to the car. Jumped it with one of those cool jump boxes and off to buy a battery. What was really cool was that the 2010 Lincoln MKS actually had the battery under the hood and with real battery cables...not in some weird place that took hours to get to.

30. That's why I stayed with State farm .I never had a problem when needing a tow. Made sure it was included when I insured the 56 buick wagon today.Bruce.

harpo1313 likes this.