Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 MERCURY REAR END RATIO'S

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Sep 22, 2014.

1. does anyone know the stock gear ratio choices of a 1950 mercury with a dana 41? thanks!

2. Slopok

Slopok

3.91-1 Standard 3 speed
    4.27-1 With Overdrive
    4.55-1 Station Wagon
    If your rear end is original there may be a little tag with numbers 43-11 or 47-11 or 50-11
    That is the ring & pinion number of teeth.

3. loboymusic

loboymusic

Ive found the tag it says W 47-11. Its a 1950 mercury sport sedan with what I think is a dana 44. I never had the engine, so I'm using a 1966 mustangs 289 w C4 tranny. Hopefully I wont have to change out the rear gearing Or? Thanks so much

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

47-11 is the ring gear tooth count, and 11 is the pinion gear tooth count.

47÷11=4.27

Your rear end gear is 4.27:1.

You will either need to change it, or run an overdrive transmission.

loboymusic likes this.
  5. Not a Dana 44; it's a Dana 41 as noted above. While it looks very similar, almost no parts interchange. Ford did use this rear axle through '56, so you may be able to find a somewhat taller gear set but these weren't used in all models. As far as I know no one is servicing these gears anymore, you're looking for good used or maybe a NOS set.

It'll be far easier (and cheaper) to swap in a Ranger/Explorer 8.8" rear axle...

Hnstray, gimpyshotrods and Deuces like this.
  6. town sedan

town sedan

With that gear ratio, depending on tire size, you'll be buzzing along a bit over 3000 rpm @ 65mph.
    If you never go over 45mph probably no problem.
    -Dave

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

highest is a 3.21. It's why I'm changing to a narrowed Ford 8.8 from a Ranger pick up after a trans swap. Unless you narrow one from a full size pick up you will need to change the bolt pattern. Decided against a 8 or 9" for something a little more modern. good luck

8. loboymusic

loboymusic

Thank you for your kindness and support. Youre very kind and this helps tremendously. All the best to you and yours. Q:What year make and model Ranger/Explorer 8.8" rear axle will work? We have very ltd junk yards here, so It'll have to be something very common or I'll have to ship it in and it'll cost a small fortune. Q:Also is this still a 5x5.5 bolt pattern? I really don't wanna have to buy new rims too. Q:And are the leaf springs and shocks "attach points" the same? Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  9. loboymusic

loboymusic

Q:What year make and model Ranger/Explorer 8.8" rear axle will work? We have very ltd junk yards here, so It'll have to be something very common or I'll have to ship it in and it'll cost a small fortune. Q:Also is this still a 5x5.5 bolt pattern? I really don't wanna have to buy new rims too. Q:And are the leaf springs and shocks "attach points" the same? Thanks everyone.

10. loboymusic

loboymusic

if I cant find a ranger/explorer 8.8" rear end here, which gear set would be easiest for someone to change here? 3.31 someone said or? Can that just be done thru the back of the diff without taking the axle etc all apart or? thanks so much everyone.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good info on the Ranger/Explorer rear axles can be found here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.shtml

It is 4x4 oriented, but fundamentals are the same.

These axles are not 5-on-5-1/2". They are 5-on-4-1/2". While this might immediately seem like a problem, the axle flanges have no access holes, and are otherwise totally solid, and machied on both sides. They can be re-drilled for 5-on-5-1/2" by any competent machine shop, or you can DIY, with a jig from our own HAMBER @rottenleonard . I can vouch for the integrity and quality of his products. I won a few, and use them regularly.

As for swapping gears in your stock axle, you would need to find them, and have them installed (unless you know how). This would likely cost more than replacing your axle with an 8.8, provided you can fine a suitable one in your area. You would need to measure the outside width, from where the wheels mount, and compare that to the 8.8's that are out there. I don't believe that the brackets will line-up, but there should be a welder in the area that can help remove the existing ones, and put correct ones on. Leaf spring perches are very inexpensive, and can be made from square tubing, for even cheaper.

The axle flanges look like this (not an actual one, just an example):
    [​IMG]
    Earlier axles have access holes in the flange, which can prevent re-drilling. Explorer/Ranger units don't:
    [​IMG]

I have a Ranger 8.8 (56-1/2" wide) in my Falcon. I re-drilled it to 4-lug, so nobody knows.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I just noticed that the OP lives in Hawaii. I just wonder how important it is to swap gears. How long is the longest freeway?

51 mercules, Slopok and loboymusic like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about an AOD instead of a C4? If you are swapping the powertrain anyway, run an overdrive, and keep the rear end stock.

loboymusic likes this.
  14. loboymusic

loboymusic

Thanks so much, youre all very appreciated. The advice here is from every angle and gives me plenty of options. That's the 1st option my local drag-race buddy says right off.. "he'd drive it as-is" because there is only 2 or 3 places you can even go faster than 55 legally or illegally for a 5 mile stretch. Ok 2 more stupid questions guys...Q:Wont this make the engine run hot with so many RPMS? And what do I need to address the maintenance on this rear end? Isnt there a fluid change or gasket set to change out? This thing is 1950 & who knows the maintenance history on this.. Dana 41, you say. All the best.