Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gorilla glue to repair FG?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cktasto, Sep 21, 2014.

1. cktasto

cktasto

I'm repairing a rip in my FG hood and wondering about using Gorilla glue to reattach the torn edges before i glass on the hood scoop. i've used it before and its pretty darn strong ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411330039.619291.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411330058.802152.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411330099.169430.jpg
    I cut a piece of sheet metal and formed it conform to the curve of the hood and used machine screws to pull the edges together and in the curvature of the hood

Thanks
    Charlie

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. roundvalley

roundvalley

Gorrila glue wants to swell. How about glass resin?

3. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Did you know automobile manufactures have been using panel glue for years! Call your paint supplier and get some to fix it right.

4. cktasto

cktasto

I know it will expand and needs to be wiped of excess as it dries but i think Its stronger than resin.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Charlie

5. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

If i have a questionable situation with a bonding product I usualy call the manufacture and let them tell me if they think the product is a good choice.
    I called loctite last week to ask about a sleeve retainer and they recommended
    A different product than the one i was going to use.

6. cktasto

cktasto

Good point...

7. 3M 8115 panel bonding adhesive

8. cktasto

cktasto

I have the panel bond adhesive as well but i think the GG will sand and finish better

9. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Do a chemical compatibility test on some scrap FG first, before you wreck your hood by mixing stuff that prefers not to be.

10. Use the panel bond, there was huge money spent to get just the right flexibility in the adhesive joint for automotive use. (vibration) GG was formulated to market to us idiots cheap, that think Gorillas are strong. LOL

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There have to be some Marine/boat supply houses close to Plesanton that have actual fiberglass products to redo that with. It's not rocket science to fix fiberglass but half assed fixes will only give you trouble later.

12. The fiberglass panels use polyester resins. When repairing, polyester resins do not adhere well to broken or cracked fiberglass. I suggest you look at West Systems Epoxy resins. There are a lot of boats repaired with it and it really works. In addition, there are powders that can be added to thicken it for specific uses, i.e., crack repair which is strong but hard to sand, and fairing, which makes it act like a really good Bondo.

13. DC43

DC43

^This^
    Having come from an autobody background, and having built/ repaired numerous FG bodies for my customers at my old shop, repairs could be tricky at best, when using the wrong materials, and at worst, would ruin and destroy the original parts.
    (think classic 'Vettes, old T-bucket kit cars, and other rare and hard to find kit cars)
    Do it right, you will not regret it!

14. cktasto

cktasto

Thanks guys, i went ahead and used resin to do the repair. Just waiting for it to dry now.
    My thought is to use the panel adhesive to attach the hood scoop though.

Im thinking some metal tabs glued to the inside of the scoop (bent in an L shape) and then gluing the other end of the tabs to the hood.
    Thanks again for the advice.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Fiber glass resin to repair fiber glass. That's what I've always been told.