Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods TRADE offer advice ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62cadd, Sep 17, 2014.

1. 62cadd

62cadd

Got a truck for sale here,56 GMC/Chevrolet (titled as GMC)basically a new build with a sbc 400ci 700r4 tranny about 25 miles on both,70 Camaro subframe,Corvette rear end,new glass,new wood on bed,needs paint no rust.. Im asking 14900 for mine..is the car worth the same ??

Got a guy wants to trade me for a 58 Biscayne 283 sbc 3 speed manual,runs good,some small rust spots,continental kit,modern interior(hate it).. see the pics

What you guys think on a straight trade ??
    DSC09913.JPG

Attached Files:

2. williebill

williebill

I like your truck. You know what you've got there. And a 58 Biscayne isn't a 58 Impala. If it was, it wouldn't be a straight trade, would it? That Biscayne could be hiding some problems under the rust you can see. Plus that Continental kit doesn't do anything for a lower level 58 Chevy.

3. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

If you hate parts of the incoming car why would you trade for it?

4. 62cadd

62cadd

Im wanting a car so I can cruise with the family really wanted an impala but ive been trying to sell this truck for a while now with no luck, really want a car.. what would you guys price my truck and car at ?

5. Mark C.

Mark C.

Sounds like you have way more into your pickup than is into the Biscayne. And you know the truck vs an unknown car... that said, if you're bored with the truck and no longer interested in it, then it doesn't matter how much you know about it, you won't be happy keeping it.

Regarding the Biscayne, there's stuff you don't like about the car already, but I guess it depends on what you would plan to do with it.

For my tastes I would have to change/remove the interior, conti kit, lakes pipes, spots, Impala fender trim, paint job, wheels (etc.). Some of it is an easy fix, some not so much. Depends on what you like and are willing to live with, really.

I see you have a 58 Biscuit in your avatar, so maybe you are fixated on this particular model? If so, then maybe you want to have a closer look as you don't see them every day. If it's good and solid, not hiding bodywork nightmares, etc. it might be worth your while to take a good look.

Again, depending on what you want to do with it and what your tastes are, you will have to determine if it will be worth your while with whatever changes you have to make to get the car you want.

Some of the accessories could probably be sold to help pay for whatever changes you want to make.

I'm thinking, if you've had your truck for awhile and have had no luck selling it, then maybe this is a good way to get out of it and get into a car that you'll like much better.

(edit: just read you want an Impala, so be pickier as the extra money you spend to bring this to where you want it might bring you closer to an Impala or at least a Bel Air hardtop... just my 2¢ after the fact).

6. alchemy

alchemy

I don't think your truck is worth $14,900, but that car is ugly! He'd need to boost you a few grand for sure, in my opinion.

turboroadster likes this.
  7. 327Eric

327Eric

Keep the truck, it is not a good trade. If I owned the Bel Air, I'd be looking to trade up too.

8. ^^ agreed, the truck isnt selling because it seems priced high. I wouldnt trade though, better get re-aquainted and in love with your truck again so you can enjoy what you built.
    Look for another project car and keep the truck to cruise and run for parts for your new under construction family cruiser.

9. 62cadd

62cadd

alchemy what would you think my truck is worth ? just wanting some opinions .. I got well over that in it but Im realistic and not expecting to get all my money out of it

Mark1 thanks for your advice appreciate it , will take all that into consideration.. again thanks to all.. seems that the truck is overpriced so maybe that s one thing I need to address if I want to sell it..

10. Squablow

Squablow

I'd value both of those vehicles at around 10.5K. (As in, an asking price of $11,900 OBO) The truck is cool but looks very unfinished, and despite a lot of really nice work being done for it, I doubt you'd find anyone who'd pay that kind of money for it, although I don't know the market on trucks very well.

If the '58 isn't hiding any horrible work, and is just as it appears, you could swap for it and sell the continental kit (I think that style was referred to as a "Coronado Kit", although that might just have been my 58 Impala driving neighbor's term for it) for pretty good money (easily a grand or better), plus the skirts and the lake pipes, and that'd give you enough capital to buy a straight back bumper, some Bellflowers and a reasonable set of seats and door panels.

Without seeing both vehicles in person, it's hard to say if this is a good deal or not, but I'd definitely consider it worth looking into. I very much like a '58 Biscayne and I'm not a truck guy, so I may be biased.

62cadd likes this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

keep looking for a better trade.

62cadd likes this.
  12. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Some one usually gets screwed on a trade - most of the time it's U. If you're not happy with the truck, sell it for what U can get then look for the car U want with what's in your pocket & be prepared to spend more than U thought for the finished car U really want. Charlotte Auto Fair - starting tomorrow - always has some thing for every one. Good Luck!!

13. oldolds

oldolds

While I am more a truck guy and like your truck, I will say this. Trucks are generally worth less than a car with the same amount of work done to them. Your truck needs paint to come up equal to the condition of the Biscayne. Yes the Biscayne isn't worth Impala prices, but it is a 2dr hardtop a bit on the unusual side. Most seem to be 2dr sedans.
    If you like the car, and it drives well, and it fits you family needs, I think it would be a fair trade. You will be ahead at least a paint job.

racingonerobb likes this.
  14. southerncad

southerncad

I maybe wrong, was once before, but isn't the Biscayne a two door sedan and not a hardtop?

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I agree on the prices given here. And If your hellbent on getting that 58. Figure what money you have to put in it to get it exactly as you'd like and adjust the trade to compensate for that sum. I like them both but the 58 looks more complete to me. Now if your truck had a fabulous paint job I'd say it may be worth the asking price of 14,500.

16. 62cadd

62cadd

I think my truck is worth more, it'll be like going backwards althou the Biscayne will fit my needs the trucks got more money in it, the Biscayne does have some rust spots on the trunk area that I can see from the pics owner does say it has some rust but "not bad" we all know what that means.. I don't know at this point Im leaning towards no, car I think is worth no more then 11k..

17. 62cadd

62cadd

the corvette rear end set up is expensive

DSC09924.JPG

Attached Files:

18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You are correct.

19. 62cadd

62cadd

Also got this as trade offer but Im a Chevy guy..

[​IMG]

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I can empathize with your feelings about your truck's value....been in that position on almost every project vehicle I've owned.

But the cold, hard reality is, what a person has "invested" in a project often has absolutely no direct relationship to it's value in the marketplace. And wishing it does will not make it so.

Assuming you have adequately advertised your truck "For Sale", the best indicator that your truck is overpriced is the fact that you still own it!

You have a difficult choice to make. Either you come to terms with selling it for less than you "want", or you decide to keep it as it's "worth" to you is greater than having a car in it's place.

If you decide not to trade for the '58, while you are searching for a better car, you'll have more time to look for buyer for your truck.....and to consider whether you'll accept what the market determines is it's value.

Either way, best wishes for an outcome that you are at peace with.

Ray

i.rant and 62cadd like this.
  21. oldolds

oldolds

Impala, 3 tail lights, scoops on rear quarters and roof. Biscayne, 2 tail lights and no scoops. Different interior trim as well.

22. belair

belair

A paint job would go a long on your truck. Would make it easier to sell for more, or attract a trade you want. A good looking car attracts a lot more buyers (many more "normal" folks) than a primered hot rod will. (Present company excluded.)

23. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I feel your pain, been there done that. I traded +$ a very nice '40 pickup for the '40 coupe. The pickup was done with all the right stuff, (tilt p/s steering, crate 350 motor rebuilt trans, A/C, SS exhaust system etc.) All done correctly with no short cuts, just needing paint. I traded for a 40 coupe (avatar) needing everything to be done over. The guy liked to tack weld & Bondo over all sins. The transformation has cost me thousands more but it is what I wanted and will be my car as I want it when done. Like 62cadd I had a need for more room (I am 6 ft 5" tall) the pickup was too tight and the 40 front seat in the coupe is a pefect roomy ride.(After I replaced the "van" seat with If 62cadd likes the '58 he may have to add $ to make the necessary improvements he wants. In retrospect I would still make my trade but the cash flow would have been coming to me not leaving my wallet !

62cadd likes this.
  24. 62cadd

62cadd

Well I guess it could not have been better said then Hnstray, I guess Im gonna have to come to terms in ether losing money big time on the truck or keep it .. well I guess I have some thinking to do.. thanks ..

25. roundvalley

roundvalley

Don't forget to add shipping [ if any[ and DMV tax into the cost.
    Because you asked; I would keep the truck.

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The red and white Biscayne pictured is a two-door sedan, not a hardtop. No one in this entire thread said it was an Impala. One could not buy a Biscayne hardtop (or Delray hardtop) in 1958. Only sedans. In 1958, one could buy a Bel-Air 2 or 4 dr hdtp, as well as an Impala 2 dr hdtp, which officially was a Bel-Air Impala, as Impala was part of the Bel-Air line-up in 1958, even though it had a different body.

27. 62cadd

62cadd

It is a local deal, hes about 40mins from me, Im gonna go check it out Im off tomorrow anyways, lets see how the car is..

28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My dad drove a turquoise '58 Biscayne 55 years ago, with 283 and Powerglide. He told me years later that it was his favorite out of all the cars he had ever owned. Somewhere I have a photo of it with my mother's black '54 210.

29. The 58 is going to seem the same behind the wheel regardless of model.

Trucks like that were just discussed in another thread, on the west coast they were said to bring around $14-15K. Not sure you can touch a nice Impala for that money.

But 58s sure do rot. Over the headlights, the floors, looked at a Bel Air up here once that you opened the trunk to see just a pair of springs and part of the rearend housing sticking out of the dirt - entire floor and frame rotted away. I thought that one was a 2dr hardtop, but it's been a long time.

30. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

So.
    Since you asked I may sound brutal, I'm unimpressed with the truck and it's modification. It looks, well, very unfinished and maybe even a little cheesy like the in bed gas tank. The wiring looks unprofessional especially for 14-15 grand. A well done stocker with period upgrades may have been much better.

They made that truck from 55-57 with the 5 & 6s being almost indistinguishable. I see them quite often. I cannot tell you the last time I have seen a 58 Chevy car of any type.

If you like the car better, get the car. That truck is definitely not made of gold.

RocklinDave likes this.