Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods big cars vs. tiny cars... which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamin' ace, Sep 15, 2014.

1. I know in this particular corner of the gearhead world there really is no 'small' sporty cars (maybe im wrong) but which do you enjoy more? owning the road in a massive, imperial or caddy or zipping through traffic in say, a t-bucket or some little European classic?

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

For all the soccer moms that are around where I live it would be hands down for a big car.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  3. Forget the European sporty stuff and lets stick to American iron,,look around at the shows and chances are you will see big overweight guys like me crawling out of chopped top,small coupes and confining pickup trucks and on the other hand you will see scrawny little guys driving behemoth land yachts & lead sleds! :D HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. southerncad

southerncad

Me, I prefer riding in my Cad, wheel tilted down, stereo playing some 50's tunes, seat tilted back just so...and of course during the summer the A/C on...

5. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I have three cars that are considered "small". My T-Bucket is the largest of the three.

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like mine Model A size...

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Large...cruises easier and smoother...doesn't have that tire smoking power, but at $3.50 a gallon, I certainly don't need it...!!!

R-

8. I always thought I would like to own a pretty wicked little Anglia for a short while. It would be fun, but not something I would see myself keeping long-term. Same for a t-Bucket (with all due respect for owners of each). Both would be a blast for a while, but then I think I would tire of them. I love full-size cars, especially Impalas and Galaxies but I guess deep in my soul I'm a hot-rodder at heart. This keeps my mind focused on '32s, Model As, Trucks, '40 Fords, any and all '30s and '40s Fords, '39 Chevies.....................geez at some point I just gotta stop. Oh yeah, I would love to someday own a '60 or '61 Starliner or '61 or '62 Bubbletop. And '49 Olds Coupes are special to me not to mention .49-'51 Ford Club Coupes and Business Coupes. Just dreamin' there for a moment. What was the question again?:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

"I always wanted me one that was long and black..."

~Johnny Cash was onto something - Big & Sleek

10. Don,you are a sick puppy and being one myself it's nice to know I'm not alone! icon_lol.gif HRP

11. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I've got 2 Impalas, a '35 Ford (pile), a '68 F250, and some small quick stuff from Japan. I guess I just like cars regardless of size. The look of long and low early 60's full sized GM knocks me out though.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, I'm in the minority, but sign me up for the small, easy to throw around stuff! I hate driving huge unresponsive, mushy stuff, and avoid it at all costs. My T-Bucket is just about right for me, and cars like Model "A" are about as comfortable as it gets. Just me I guess...

13. I like bigger ones with big cubes but can also really appreciate a Euro body with North American Iron under the hood and in the drive train. Like for instance although not my pick a Corbra, or what were those things with the Sunbeam body and a 289 called? Jensen which was a Road Runner in disguise.

don

14. Sunbeam Tigers. HRP

15. .......................................It's an affliction for sure.

16. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Everyone is different. No matter what you choose I believe it becomes "misery loves company" Case in point is a long string of tri5 Chevys motoring down the highway. If you were one of the smart few to buy a AC Cobra in the 1970s for under $10,000 and was able to keep hold of it, then your misery has very little company and a large dislike for people who drive the fiberglass ones. Back in the 60s we wouldn't even look at a sedan and then the coupes and roadsters had to be a select make and year to warrant modification. Today you see dump trucks!!! So what ever you identify with be happy with it or save your money and change misery but I don't think you should be able to pass judgement on what is cool and what is not.
    Greg

Frankie47 likes this.
  17. big M

big M

Full size cars from the fifties for me. Most small cars I feel cramped in, as I am over six feet tall.

---John

18. Phil1934

Phil1934

Building a Bantam and a Model Y, 6' 300#. Friends just want me to finish one so they can watch me try to get in.

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally, I'm a mid- to late-30's fat-fender coupe guy.

20. squirrel

squirrel

I just got home from Drag Week. Spent a few days driving my 57 suburban with the Chevy II on the trailer to get there...boy was it fun to get into the little car and zip around! then after spending a week in the little car, boy was it nice to get in the quiet Suburban for the long haul home!

so yeah, I like big ones and little ones

21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I love the looks of the small cars but being a tall fat guy it is hard to fit in some cars. On my coupe I moved the stock seat back about 6 inches and am going to lower the riser. I hope that will give me enough room to sit comfortably. I can drive the stock roadster but could use a little more leg room. I do like the big cars.

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My 35 Chevy phaeton is a compact when compared to my 46 Olds sedanette.

23. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

At only 5'9" and 170lbs, I look great -and fit great- in small or large cars! :D

an original 427 Cobra
    [​IMG]

an original 1957 Plymouth Suburban
    [​IMG]

24. i can't say i prefer one over the other, on a trip give me the biggest land yacht on the road, cruising around town give me a small quick ride. i like bouncing down a back road in a cj3a but on the saw mill parkway i want something low that can handle. i guess it depends upon my mood or the job the vehicle has to do.

25. 327Eric

327Eric

I could care less about size. Its all about the style.

26. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Well I seem to go for the Johnny cash stuff>

27. metal man

metal man

Model A's are just right for me. My big, comfortable car is a '40 Ford coupe. I'm 6' tall 173 lbs. The Model A's fit just right.

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Small, with early Fords toward the big end...also no wasted tin, like doors that are a foot thick or stuff hanging way past the wheels...
    Until I look around me. I note that everyone around me is driving a 6,000 pound Cadillac Suburban Deluxo and is entirely focused on a cell phone...holy cow. Stopped at a red light with one of those in front, one on each side, and another approaching behind at 60 with cellular communication underway.
    Last time a cell phone zombie hit me, she wouldn't even stop yakking for the cop...she was actually annoyed when he interrupted her conversation to ask for her papers. We are doomed. Time to drop rods and start getting into armored military vehicles.

29. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

An MGA with a small block is a dream of mine

30. Fender1325

Fender1325

They're all beautiful big and small. If you daily drive a mustang for 10 years like I did, (98 GT), the larger stuff is much more refreshing and comfortable, except when parking.

Right now for me its a '50 caddy sedan and an 03 long bed f150.

Every once in a while, I miss having something lighter on its feet through traffic.

Larger cars take the bumps in the road better. I certainly dont miss having to re route myself to avoid speed bumps.