Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. I have a dog named Snoopy. He's black. Definitely a name used differently these days. Still waiting for a west coast hip hop rapper to sue me. I think a couple shirts regarding a silver hot rod survivor would be safe from the wrath of the Schultz estate......but what do I know?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    Bubba1955 likes this.
  2. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

3. bigorangetruck

bigorangetruck
    from TX

AW Man, such a great story! Builder stories over Beer to boot! Have a Blast, can't wait to see more,

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I didn't mean for it to say outright "Snoopy" I meant the car. As for its name... " if you don't know, then you wouldn't understand".

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

All I can say is wow. And thank you for sharing this. Very happy for you-what a great story!

6. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Ask the original builder what he would have done for tires and or wheels at the time he built it if he could have bought anything he wanted. It may "complete" the car.

sonic03bluegt and volvobrynk like this.
  7. "Snoopee" T-Shirts ! Great Idea ! how can I make that happen ?

Busy day doing everything but work on Snoopy, however I did take some time to shoot more pics & video & measure up rad hoses, remove generator for rebuild & confirm that the the carb is a "94" so I can order a kit... Here is a more detailed "walk around"

I have limited internet connection, but I will post more in day or so, until then - Enjoy & Thanks !

8. Markmonty

Markmonty
    from Gerorgia

Too cool!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Denns1989 likes this.
  9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Very cool, love the video walk around.

Denns1989 likes this.
  10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is such a cool video!!!

I like the car even more now. Regarting your rusty wheel caps, I would look for some slightly better at a show, but not new, that would look wrong.
    The are the only item of the car, that stands out. Because everything else look like the standard of a really good daily driver. But they just look broken, but other old ones would look just like any other piece of chrome on the car.

But it looks so good it's hard to belive it's a car thats around to this day, it's a freaking time capsal.
    It looks like time stood still, no degeneration/deteriation.

You did good so fare.

Denns1989 likes this.
  11. I agree if I can find some used caps, just don't want brand new...

We will see if you still like the car after I post the pictures of the underside :)

I call the underside a "dogs breakfast", it's kinda "messy" it's functional but far from pretty, I think a clean up & a couple rattle cans of something will make it look better.. plus, I remember reading that lots of customs & hot rods from back in the day looked really nice on the side that people saw, but it was a whole other story on the other side ;-)

Looking from front towards back...

snoop_under_02.jpg

and then the X-member from the 47 Merc was "trimmed to fit" also note the "fitting" done the the floor pan from the 47 Merc as well above the drive shaft :)

snoop_under_01.jpg

this one shows the 1/4 plate brace that was applied when the rear frame was bumped up & the Merc rear suspension fit in...

snoop_under_03.jpg

and then this shot showing the 1/4" metal strap from the frame rail down & under to saddle the body for a body mount on the rear... (note the remnants of the old exhaust pipe)

snoop_under_04.jpg

I was brave enough to show the undersides of my untouched 50 + year old Hot Rod ! Hope some people get a laugh if anything !

12. Yikes! Par for course, for the era....though. It is what it is, and it is what it ain't. Oxy acetyl and hammer build not TIG and CNC. Oh well....so what.....the beauty queen has a hairy bush. I'm still down!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    Atwater Mike, Jrs50, Woogeroo and 4 others like this.
  13. Don't let it bother you too much.
    If the car drives straight and the body doesn't squirm around on the frame,
    just find an old gray beard welder that can tighten things up and re-weld anything that looks suspect
    or unsafe.
    Oh I didn't see any shocks on the rear.
    If you add them, use what was available in 60's.
    I'm sure some guys on here have an old set of rears that are still good,
    and probably even an old mounting kit!
    Look on the brite side, you even have cross steering and a panhard bar!

Robert Crosse likes this.
  14. titus

titus

Pretty neat car you found, im kinda partial to survivors.

Denns1989 likes this.
  15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay, there more the one kind of beauty.
    And this will do.

If it was mine I would go thrue all the welds on the frame, and fix broken, leave the rest.
    And a would'nt change anything on the body or the finish on the welds.
    But I would give it some kind of protection from dirt, water and other harmfull things.

Those fishplating things shure is stout.
    But rather look like that, then nothing in there place.

Do you have any kind of MOT/safety inspection in Canada?

Denns1989 likes this.
  16. Agreed and original builder & second owner commented that it rode well, tracked straight etc. So I'm not too concerned, also it does have standard " tube" shocks mounted on top of the axles, and go into a rienforced top mount inside the rear wheel well lip that the fender used to mount in before the fenders were raised.. so I just have to get some measurements & get some replacements.

Yes I will only fix what needs fixing & repair in similiar fashion, I will spray something to ensure that surface rust doesn't turn into rott, probably a normal black undercoat that wears off over a period of time, I see evidence of that being used on this car before, I dont want to go with an epoxy or POR 15 type solution as that requires lots of suface prep, and just would seem out of place on this car ( to high end) ha ha - yes we have inspections , one time only - car has to meet requirements at time of manufacture (no seat belts required etc.) no leaks into interior compartment, no exhaust leaks, brakes have to be in spec, suspension tight, no rotten holes or cracks in frame, lights working, glass in place & in condition to not impair drivers vision etc. Independant shops ( non-chain) are best to go to as they work on older cars & are more familiar with requirements for older cars, not concerned about that.

Robert Crosse and volvobrynk like this.
  17. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

What Tony M. said....clean and straighten, make it SAFE.
    Re-do the frame mods if there is any question at all about the welds.
    Snoopee has some fleas...so what.
    Just don't let him bite 'ya.

Bob

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

So great to see the car go to someone who see's the real value in preserving this old survivor. She was meant to be yours, good luck.

Denns1989, Weezy1930 and volvobrynk like this.
  19. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Unless there is something wrong, maybe rusty shafts, I do not think your car has been driven enough to ware out the shocks. Replace only if defective! GREAT CAR! Gary

Denns1989 likes this.
  20. Man you crack me up

21. That's kinda why you see guys put so much into a chassis now.

I'd look at that as maybe, started but not finished. Up to you if you want to finish it but I surely wouldn't change much. A little finesse and polish on what's there. It may mean altering it into its finished state.

Denns1989 likes this.
  22. AHotRod

AHotRod

So very happy for you , suck a cool Hot Rod.

Kan Kustom and Denns1989 like this.
  23. im up for a snoopee tshirt, lots of great artists here on the hamb thatll make shirts a reality. check out the Friday art show, that's where they all hang out.

24. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Ha Ha Ha, love it!!! Gonna put that quote in my bank for later use.

25. Great story........I think your plan is right on. Not being a Ford guy, I was wondering if that
    round disc with plug on bottom of the oil pan is an original thing or a mod.

Denns1989 likes this.
  26. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

47Plym: From the looks of it, it's a '48-'53 truck pan. It has a junk basket up under that plate.

Denns1989 likes this.
  27. bowie is right, a sludge cleanout!

Denns1989 likes this.
  28. WOW! Love this old hot rod!

Denns1989 likes this.
  29. I dig it!

Denns1989 likes this.
  30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

How is it comming? No Update?
    No driving around the block?