Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. I'm not getting any pictures either, just little boxes.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Makes 3 of us................

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thumbs up on the tote. And not pics hear either.

5. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

NEAT idea Rusty... A guy here in town heard I had a new V4 air compressor.. and showed up with a neat rig a vacuum and "media blaster" here. He wanted a crazy amount of cash for it. It was just a rubber floppy nose tied to a vacuum canister with the media nozzle in the middle of the suction tip. Ever now and then, he'd turn it off, and the media would fall back into the bottom and recycle.. the unscreenable trash out the side.

Moisture kicks any media blaster's butt. I hung a old "air brake" reserve tank in the ceiling as the final collection point at the end of the air line, where the air had cooled, and in the tank, slowed down to settled the water out. Made a heater on a rod to "stab into the sand".. stick it in, let it cook, the sand is hot and dry. I slung the last small blaster I had into the woods. There is a blast cabinet in the shop, I think the neighborhood cats use it, crawling through the rotted chinese rubber glove holes.

A "real" sandblaster is very dangerous to be around, as I learned years ago.. it will penetrate the skin like rock salt from a shotgun.. A "dead man" blast pot "pneumatic pop off" hit me on the arm, the discharge line turned the wrong way, it blasted my arm with grit.. Looking down, all the tattoos were gone in red blood. thousands of pin holes. My working buddy cut the toe off a sock, helped me thread it onto my red arm.. and for a year black "coal slag" came out of my arm in pimples.. When they'd pop, there'd be a grain of black grit. I've been "scared" ever since of being blasted.

6. Me too no pix

7. Let's try this fellas, sorry...
    10448182_10202883074452802_5061712053392342633_n.jpg

whtbaron and Copper Top like this.
  8. RamJet1

RamJet1

I can see it! I can see it!

Chris Stapley likes this.
  9. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Yep...loving the Ratfink beer fridge too...

Chris Stapley likes this.
  10. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

This may seem pathetically simple, but your post reminded me of it. The hydraulic jack release on my 20 ton press had a habit of sticking just enough that I always had to find the jack handle to loosen it. The solution was to drill out an old knob (yes, it's plastic, but it has a brass threaded sleeve in the center that makes it more durable) to fit the jack release and slot it with a cutoff wheel to fit tight. Filled it with hot glue and slapped it on... tightening or loosening the valve is a one hand operation without looking for the right shaft to do it.

Attached Files:

11. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

my quick and dirty blasl cabinet was a box my quaker state oil came in.folded flaps up,duct tape to hold a sheet of glass,and holes for each hand.cut small hole in bottom and portable spot blast cabinet. no more sand in shorts.

12. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Nothing new in the this thread?

13. Here is a cnc plasma cutter I am making. Still a bit of work to do but hopefully will be cutting at the end of next week. The table is only 600 x 600mm in total cut size as I have only a small shop to fit it in. I can manipulate the size if I have to when I need to if the need arises.

Here is a short video of me testing the x, y, and z axis.

Mtw fdu.

DSCF0597.JPG

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    niceguyede likes this.
  14. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

You sir have exceeded the home made part of this thread! Very nice indeed!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

spooler41 likes this.
  15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I hope you are also buying or building a fume extraction system to get rid of the fumes that it is going to produce. Especially in a small shop.
    Otherwise all that nasty stuff will wind up in your lungs. :eek:

16. Awesome !!
    I want an electric eye follower plasma table. Place I used to to work at had one on a flame table and man it was awesome for onesie twosie parts. Throw them in the tumbler and bam!!!

What I liked about that is a normal guy without cad training could draw what ever he wanted with a pencil, you know like we do lying upside down making a patern, and turn it into steel in a few mins.

Now it seems you still need to Waller around in the floor, make your patern, then turn that into digital X&Y then cut it. Extra step for one off parts.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    BarryA likes this.
  17. Thanks guys for your responses!!

I am thinking about doing an extraction fan for it.
    I also have a oxy profile cutter which runs with an electric motor and a magnetic tracer...That is ok but you still need a pattern and also allow for the cut size compared to the pattern...hence the plasma table. It will save a lot of time even when I do only 1 part. It doesn't take long to draw it and cut it.

Cheers again guys!!!

I will post again when I have it up and running.

Mtw fdu.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think the fume extraction fan is a must. And a strong one at that. The metal vapor fumes off of the high intensity plasma stream as well as any oil residue or anything else on the steel is one of the worst possible things in steel fabrication that you can breathe in.
    Larry.

19. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

As an old shop-hand in a fab shop : X 100 on Blue One's fume comment!!

20. Old fabricators trick, stick cotton balls in your nose! LOL
    Yeah, fumes can be pretty bad off a plasma torch, especially if you cut stainless and other oddball stuff, mild steel doesn't have any of the heavy metals in it, so it isn't deadly, just annoying.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I fought for a long time with a little bench mount drill press that was way too small for what I was asking it to do.
    So this past weekend I bought a new 17" floor model with a 3/4 HP motor.
    I wanted to be able to move it around so I got some heavy duty casters with brakes and built a dolly for it.
    It locks in place wherever you want it to sit and is easy to move around. :cool:
    Larry
    drill press 002 (2).jpg drill press 001 (2).jpg

22. olcarguy

olcarguy

Just thought I'd give it a bump.

23. Here guys is some more progress I have had on my cnc plasma table.

DSCF0602.JPG DSCF0601.JPG

Still have a bit more to do. Will post more pics soon.

Mtw fdu.

Ulu and stealthcruiser like this.
  24. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Here I am a CNC programmer, and I was gonna post a pic of the dent knocker I welded up.

I'm seriously humbled...:confused:

25. Thank you very much Ulu...I am actually speechless from your comments. Again, thank you.

Mtw fdu.

26. Post it up there's always someone who will learn something from any of these posts humble or not

27. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

It's designed to knock out a specific dent on my OT driver, but could be used on lots of other stuff I suppose. I can't find it now...I'll have to take another photo.

But you guys are so nice I'll post you some photos of my rolling tool & supply cabinet, made from recycled steel kitchen cabinets & a big plotter base, reinforced with steel angle, lots of screws, several strategic welds, and stamped corner gussets at the main attachments. I lined it with some high dollar rubber mat, & paint is Rustoleum, which was on sale so cheap I bought a case.
    DSCF7923.JPG DSCF7984.JPG SSPX0198.jpg
    (
    Same paint I used on the torch cart. ;) )
    DSCF8146.JPG

28. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

OK, here's a photo of my pitiful welding project: a dent hook attachment for my 2lb slide hammer.

knocker.jpg
    It's 41" long, assembled to the hammer.

The tip is a steel socket welded solid, on a hex bar, telescoped into a tube from a jack handle, welded into a water pipe, welded to a cast steel fitting from a spring compressor.

This was the first time I ever welded cast steel, and it welded to the water pipe very well. There was some obvious porosity, but it was strong. Wail on that 2lb slide hammer as I might I could bend this thing but I could not break it.

29. dodgewade

dodgewade
    from North AL

Guess I need a tornado.... yes, there's a reason I'm building a new shop and this is one of them.[/QUOTE]
    Hell, I can't even walk straight thru my 40 X 60 shop!

30. This is such a great thread...full of great ideas, for all budgets.

Sent VIA top secret BIGREDTODD Mobile HQ