Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. hallrods

hallrods

Cool old car it's from the same era as the car my father built. what a time capsule looks great and you are doing it right.

Denns1989 likes this.
  2. I can appreciate this car. Cars like this are "gold". Enjoy

Denns1989 likes this.
  3. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! I just finished reading your intro and this entire thread. This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing this remarkable car and story with us. When I watched the video if it starting I got almost as excitted as you did. So excited for you. It couldnt have gone to a better person. You are doing right by the widow and this car, the car and this story are so perfect in every way, Congratulations.

olskoolrodder and Denns1989 like this.
  4. Photo Book is an excellent idea, will have to do that when I put her back on the road & have a picture of me puttin the plates on for the last page!

It will be getting rubbed out, but I will save that for after I get the brakes working, fluids changed, fuel system flushed, engine tuned, wiring sorted etc. etc. so probably early next spring :)

dana barlow likes this.
  5. Here are the only dash close ups I have , will get better ones this weekend, but I did see pics online of a 53 Buick Special with the same gauges & it looked stock, so I think that's where they are from... 20140728_182209.jpg

20140728_182157.jpg

6. And then 2 shots I took after being washed & outside in a little sunshine... P1050021.JPG P1050022.JPG

Small dent above right rear light & a little ripple on the trunk lid.. held up pretty good !

WC145, Woogeroo, Kan Kustom and 2 others like this.
  7. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

It's good that you kept your promise to the widow and not disclosed the selling price. That bit of info is only between you and her, and if she specifically said she didn't want that disclosed your first loyalty is to her. Good to hear there are still some who can keep their word.

8. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks for sharing all of this- its so awesome!

Denns1989 likes this.
  9. The funny thing is.....you always remember what you have forgotten, once you see your past right there in front of you. I'm sure that much will be revealed once your new friend/original builder gets to lay eyes on his creation once again. Some things jog through the mind so often, that the details run away thru the years. This is a great story, that I appreciate the chance to catch from you.......and don't mind our commentary.......the peanut gallery shall always be spoken. What fun it is, to determine the next chapter in "your car".......and its history. A thousand congratulations bud.

Denns1989 likes this.
  10. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Man o man, cool as hell.

Denns1989 likes this.
  11. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

This story just keeps getting better! Reminds me of the song "Riding with private Malone"
    Tell the original owner he did one fine job building Snoopy. How many cars can actually make it untouched, non wrecked, unchanged, remarkable.

sonic03bluegt and Denns1989 like this.
  12. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Dennis,
    A revival "journal" is in order. Probably hard to grasp in the moment but the time WILL come, it's hard to pass down an internet thread.o_O
    The one thing I'm most grateful for is all the documentation that my DW's Grandmother saved over the years, right down to the Double Bubble and Tootsie Pop wrappers in the rear ashtrays. (guess who's responsible for that) Everything will stay with the car no matter where it goes from here.

Keep up the good work....

Bob

Denns1989 likes this.
  13. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

This made my day. Seriously freakin' awesome. Keep up the good work and thanks for such a great thread.

Denns1989 likes this.
  14. flathead okie

flathead okie

Great story, glad you posted.

Denns1989 likes this.
  15. silverdome

silverdome

Subscribed! Patiently awaiting "The rest of the Story". Sorry 3WLarry and Paul Harvey I couldn't resist.

I hope the second owner finds it in his heart to get over himself and give you some information on the time he had with this car. Maybe a respectfully written letter explaining your plans for the car would allow him the luxury of reflecting on his misbehavior and he might open up to you.

volvobrynk, Denns1989 and Bubba1955 like this.
  16. Rem

Rem

Cool story and a great little hot rod. It strikes me as odd that someone was installing a flathead in a fresh build as late as the '60s, but then maybe it was just the 'magazine cars' that were all getting overheads by then, and the home-builders were still using what they could scrounge up! Are the Morris Minor seats and VW steering wheel due to European influence in Canada?

Denns1989 likes this.
  17. catdad49

catdad49

That story and the car are just Bitchin. As they say, "good thing happen to good people." Keep us posted and good luck, Carp

Denns1989 and Markmonty like this.
  18. 48 stylemaster

48 stylemaster
    from Canada

Wow is all I can say... subscribed to this one. Maybe I'll see it one day I am just next door in Manitoba

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Denns1989 likes this.
  19. Once original builder is back from a trip we hope to get together for a face to car visit in a couple weeks, really looking forward to it, I will be busy taking notes ! & I don't mind the commentary at all, it's all good !!

I will pass along the compliment on the build, hope to show him this thread when we are having our visit !

I will most definetly keep a journal, hell I have trouble remembering my own name some days !, Car stuff sticks in there a bit better :)

I hope the 2nd owner comes around as well, really unfortunate, I will try to touch base again in a bit, want to be able to share with him, I appreciate all the history with Snoopy..

Once the original builder comes for the big visit I will get more details but he laughed when I asked him about what the seats were out of, he laughed & said "from something that would fit, we combed the scrap yards for anything we could use on that build - think they were from a Morris Minor", also Northern Ontario in 1960, was allot different than California & the magazine cars of 1960 as you mention I would assume, he said he built it because he always thought they looked "so cool", he had just graduated highschool & had a full time job when he started the build..

I hope you can see it someday, I'm in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario, right on the border with Sault Sainte Marie Michigan - anyone reading this if you happen to be nearby PM me, I would be happy to show the car !

On that note Snoopy will be at the 40th St.Ignace Car Show next June, that's only an hour away for me & the largest car show in my area by a long shot !

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. I have a couple shots to share, last weekend I remembered that Snoopy has the same bolt pattern as my 79 F100, so I put the P235/75/15's on the back just for fun, I have to replace all the tires on Snoopy, it has 6.7 / 15's all the way around, I think the back tires could be a little taller / wider however I don't want to alter the "look" either so I lean towards not changing the tire size at all, but then I think to myself, it's just a tire, not permanent... What are people's thoughts ? Just tossin idea's around, I want to keep the original rims & rusty moon caps... P1050024.JPG P1050026.JPG
    P1050028.JPG
    Rear Shot with the 235's

P1050029.JPG
    Wheel track shot front to back with 235's

WC145, volvobrynk, Kan Kustom and 2 others like this.
  21. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Dennis,

Boy she cleans up good don't she.

It's your turn now...do the little things to make it your own.

Bob

Denns1989 likes this.
  22. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd run 8.20's out back(if they clear) ,and 5.60's up front.

33Doll and Denns1989 like this.
  23. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I love this story, you have got class and integrity. This is a great ride!

Denns1989 likes this.
  24. agshelby

agshelby

Great story - congratulations ! I like the larger tires on the rear. It's subtle - but changes the stance in a good way. That car has a great profile.

WC145 and Denns1989 like this.
  25. My humble opinion.....I do understand/appreciate keeping the car original as it should be....but it is also your car.....if you want to make small changes then go for it.....maybe take the original wheels and clean them up and put them in a corner and give it a personal touch with your taste of shoes....you can always put the originals back on in the future!

62hotcat and Denns1989 like this.
  26. Babyearl

Babyearl

Great story,,, You have class that is kind of rare in these days. I am proud for you that you do right by others.
    The tire thing is a must because of the age of the tires. The big and little are right for the A, but your call on size of the tires.
    In my 74 years, I have met people like the second owner,,, hard to understand the reason for their attitude. When you see him again just be yourself,, it just might rub off on him. It would be a Blessing and it seems to me he needs one. You did good. Earl

27. studebaker46

studebaker46

as everyone has told you it is now your car,having said that I vote for the bigger tires on back jmo tom

Denns1989 likes this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I love "Snoopy"!
    I think the tire size increase is an improvement. Just keep period tire style, body match rim color or the same wheels, the hub caps and maybe stay with the white walls and you'll be golden. Stay subtle and you won't have second thoughts. Are you keeping the fan shroud,that wasn't on the original build, off? It was the only thing to me that shouted out " change me!"

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

WC145, mrbeetle and Denns1989 like this.
  29. very cool car and an amazing story!

Denns1989 likes this.
  30. Save the wheels and tires, just as they are in the dark. Wax the wheels and caps before storage.
    Run whatever bigs and littles look good to you. back in the day, just like now, wheels and tires are easy to change and everybody does it. No one will find fault with you on this.

Kan Kustom and Denns1989 like this.