Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear end help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DFW31, Sep 10, 2014.

1. DFW31

DFW31
    from Texas

Ok, so a the rear end assembly that ended up in my car turned out to be less than adequate. It drives fantastic on the highway at 75-85 non problem. My problem is that when I'm in my coupe, I drive it hard bc that's why I got it.

It has a Lincoln versai (sp?) rear end and the gear ratio is a sill 2.43 or something. I'm curious if there are a junk yard route that i can take to save a little cash. I'd really like to avoid spending 1200 on a complete new third member much less 3k on a full rear end. I've been told a mercury marauder would work but those aren't exactly everywhere.

Hambers, help me out. The small block in my coupe dynode 535 and half of it is being wasted. In the words of Ricky bobby himself "I just wanna go fast"

The car sounds so tough at a light and when I stomp on it, it falls FLAT on its face

Please help a youngster moron out??

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

Questions need to be answered ? What transmission and what tire size on rear axle , also what average speed your looking to do ? These answeres will help determine your ultimate goal .

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

You can find any stock Ford 9 inch pumpkin with 3:50 or 3:70 gears, as long as it has the same spline count as your axles. Worst case, you may have to put new bearings and front seal. Just make sure you reuse the same shims on the front pinion support. 3:25's will still leave you at the light with the tires smoking too...

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Your Lincoln Versailles rear end is almost certainly a 28 spline axle. Those are extremely common and usually found in passenger car applications. Pickups were more commonly 31 spline.

Every swap meet I attend has at least two guys selling Ford 9" third members, usually they are asking from $150 to $400, depending if they are open carriers or Trac Loc.

Ray

primeisnotacrime likes this.

5. Yeah, based on dyno HP, if it's accurate, I would lean towards a 9" with 3.50-3.70 ratio and trac-lok for street reliability. BTW it's Lincoln Versaille.

6. oldsman41

oldsman41

ya didnt say what tranny your running but if its non overdrive your going to be up on the rpms if you go to low in the rear. if you dont care a 373 would do the trick. if you just want to stop light race a 411 would be great. no fuel mileage for sure. best of both worlds would be a od tranny and either of the rears 373 or 411.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post some pics - what exactly do when it falls flat on it's face? may be more a motor problem.

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I have an OT shop truck with a 2.42 rear gear in it. Weighs more than 5,000 lbs. Stock 454 w/turbo 400 trans.
    It is no world beater but I can accelerate with traffic and it does not bog even pulling a trailer. My guess is that your 525 hp small block needs a high stall converter to get moving. You can change the rear gear to help your off the line performance but the top end will suffer. The solution is not a cheap junkyard parts fix. The other guys are right. the ideal solution is wide ratio trans with as many speeds as you can afford and match a rear gear to that.

9. First, your Versailles rearend is just a 9-inch Ford with 28 spline axles. I have one in my 38 Chevy, and swapped in a 3.70 rear gear third member. I seem to remember my stock gear ratio in the Versailles rear was 2.75? Just get a complete (used, new, limited slip/locker - your choice for cost) replacement third member and swap that into your exisiting rearend.

Second, I do agree with the other comments that you really need to have a matched system, and that means your torque converter should probably be a higher stall than stock if your engine really is 535 hp small block.

Third, depending on your trans and intended use, that will help determine what new ratio is best for your car. For example, a 4.88 may be a lot of fun for accelerating, but will suck on the highway without some OD type trans. Just like your current ratio is too tall now. You need to have a matched combination of engine/converter/trans/rear.

10. DFW31

DFW31
    from Texas

Trans is is a turbo 400 with over drive. The motor is flawless, when I say it falls on its face I mean it just feels like there's un used power. The motor has a verified engine dyno of 535. I want to go 3.73 posi. The motor has about 1200 miles on it

11. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

I'm all for fun , I also would lean towards a 3:55 gear - will give the car all around drivability . If you are a dragway person the 3:90 be a awesome performance choice . Good luck

12. nitro29

nitro29

Hey, You have an overdive throw a set of 4.11 and a higher stall converter and have some Fun the overdrive will help with the mileage Roger

13. This is a good combination. Most OT Jap cars have something like a 4.10 "rear" in them which is just about perfect with the OD. For stall, something like 2500 might be good.

14. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

What 400 turbo has an overdrive?? IS it a 700r4?

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes, the 700R4 has a .70 overdrive.
    I have been told that some years are better than others, but not sure why.
    Do some research.

16. DFW31

DFW31
    from Texas

I'm not exactly sure which 400 it is. I want to say its the 700.

Is there any junkyard third members that I could use? Rear end and new third member prices are a little scary at the moment.

17. models916

models916

700r4 from 89-92 and a few 93 are the ones to use. Induction hardened input shaft, forged 4 pinion planet assemblies, better timed clutch release and apply, more clutches in the 3-4 drum. improved oiling to the rear, 10 vane front pump, aux valve body, hardened sun shell etc....
    and.....if he has 500+ HP, he shouldn't be concerned about gas mileage. 3:43 - 4:11 with the OD and the lock up converter clutch should be fine.

18. They shouldn't be that steep unless you want a posi. The lower ratio (numerically higher..) are best found in truck junkyards. The last one I got (4.30) came out of an old Econoline. We used open rears for the stock cars and installed spools.

19. DFW31

DFW31
    from Texas

Gas mileage is non existent. Lets say it's the opposite of efficient.

20. Buddha Doll

Buddha Doll

You can Google search gear ratio tire diameter calculators on

21. Buddha Doll

Buddha Doll

Online just plug in the overdrive ratio tire size and speed and it will give you the rpm. Takes the guesswork out