Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Straight 8 Pontiac problem diagnosed - only 7 pistons working

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lebowski, Sep 8, 2014.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It looks to me as though The carb is in the same place. Different air cleaner

2. It's the same. The carbs are in the same place, yours just has a different filter housing on it.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It is exactly the same as yours, but for the air cleaner assembly. If you look closely at the pic, the carb is peeking out from under the back of the air filter. There was not more than one version of the straight 8 Pontiac in that period.

Ray

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Price is pretty high on that Nashville Engine like 3X what I personally think it's worth
    Same dough would get a Lot done on yours

5. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Kanter lists pistons plus just about everything else you would need to freshen up that motor. Possibly other sources that I am not aware of. Good luck.

6. Obviously you've never tried to upgrade to a LS1 or whatever crate motor in a '50 Pontiac. That alone is the tip of the iceberg. Much much cheaper to get the straight-8 going again. Those blocks are amazingly durable and hard to really do damage to, even with a piston coming apart at the pin.

7. CGkidd

CGkidd

Definately try to keep the straight 8. Otherwise when the hood is opened its just another car at the show. With the 8 its different. Plus split the exhaust, dual carb, maybe find a aftermarket unobtanium head. Oh damn coolness. uh sorry went off on a hotrod rant. But truthfully split the exhaust that thing would sound bitchin.

Andamo likes this.
  8. rfraze

rfraze

As a word of encouragement, you have already done part of the job. It seemed that you didn't think you could. The pan is going to have to come off, so the engine is going to have to go up. Decide what you want when it is finished, and either jack it up or rent a hoist, and pull it out. Learning about this old stuff is fun AND rewarding, otherwise this site would not exist. If you can decide what you want to achieve, you can do it. PLUS, you will end up with tools.

Now you know why enthusiasts clean the underside of their cars also.

9. cheviac

cheviac
    from new jersey

I have a 47 Pontiac with the original 8 that I rebuilt about 18 years ago. The damned block just fit in my buddys boring machine. It was bored, new pistons, cut the crank, shaved the head. My block is a think a 248, yours is a 268 I believe and should be a little cheaper to build. My pistons cost 345.00. Needles to say I almost shit myself when I heard that. Remember, it was 18 years ago. Anyway it runs damned good, and has Chevy 250 6 cylinder performance. There is a picture of the old girl by my name. These engines were what they called 100,000 mile motors. These blocks get small block Chevy oil pressure numbers. Good luck

10. For what it is worth, I would keep the engine in the car. I did on my Buick, and could not be happier. If you do the work, I do not see how you can spend more than around $3500.00, IF you need machine work.

Ben

11. I used Kanter parts when I rebuilt my Ford flathead six. All American made old stock parts in their original boxes, no Chinese junk.......................30,000 miles later still running strong

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. stimpy

stimpy

depending on the car if its a all original numbers car . redo your motor , if not then I would go the change out way . nice thing about a rebuilt is you know it was done . but you have to find a competent and honest shop to do it . and those now days are getting harder to find . and when you do find one ussually they are not cheap .

13. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

A friend who knows a lot about cars came over and took a look at the engine and he said the cylinder wall is "gouged." I asked him if he would call it scratched and he said no, it's a lot worse, it's gouged. I asked him if he wanted to help me pull, rebuild, and reinstall the engine and he said no. He works 10 hours a day, 6 days a week plus he's in the Army Reserve. I asked the retired guy in his 70s next door if he wanted to help me and he also declined. Unfortunately those are the only two guys I know in Kentucky who know anything about cars. I need to either find someone to do the job for me at a reasonable price (not $6k like I was already quoted) or I'll have to sell it as is. I'm in my 60s and have some health issues and I'm not really looking to take on a project of this magnitude. I know some of you guys will probably criticize me for that because pulling and rebuilding engines is easy for a lot of you but I've never done it before. Anyway, thanks to those who offered helpful advice and positive comments....

14. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

If you aren't a mechanic, then you aren't a mechanic. It's not for everyone. :cool:

If you're uninterested in becoming a mechanic, or too old, or too lame, or to busy, or whatever, then just go trade it for something that already runs.

It might not be as exotic as what you have now, but it's faster than restoring and almost always costs less too.

For some of us, embarking on a 5 year restoration at the age of 65 might not be the best use of our time. I'm only 59, but I already feel this quite keenly.

loudbang likes this.
  15. CGkidd

CGkidd

Any HAMB in his neck of the woods able to help him? Someone should be able to help.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Any automotive tech schools in your area that might be willing to take on a project like this? You cover the parts and materials, they supply the labor.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

And those guys would be ass-hats.

There's no shame in drawing your own line where this stops being fun. Your car, your money, your call. End of story.

Having said that, it might be worth getting a couple more opinions and estimates. For what that motor had been through, and how it managed to stay together, I'd say it really wants to stay in that car. Engines want to run. They understand what they were made for. That takes most of us 40 or 50 years to figure out.

Don't throw in the towel just yet. Let the HAMB work for a few days and see what develops. I've seen this place move mountains before. If Alberta was any closer to Kentucky I'd be over there now. Give it time...

18. fat141

fat141

Mate, take the advice of the last couple of posts, reckon you might end up with a couple of new friends from the HAMB and a going car as a bonus. BTW I'm 70, sorry Australia ain't close to Kentucky either
    Good luck
    Rod

19. deto

deto

Hahahaha

20. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Raise the motor up...pull the pan...pull the rod for that piston...order one replacement piston...have it installed on the rod....hone the cylinder wall...reinstall rod and piston....button motor back up...add oil and antifreeze and drive....you already have a lead on a replacement engine...whats the worst that can happen....being that its a low compression motor a few marks in the wall probably wont have much effect on its performance...

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  21. Looks pretty close to me, just a different air cleaner.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fix it. Drive on. Have fun.

23. greybeard360

greybeard360

Go talk to the local machine shop and see what they would charge to tear it down, put a sleeve in that one cylinder, hone the rest and re-assemble with a new piston, rings and bearings. Would not be a full rebuild that way but would get you back on the road at least.

24. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

if that rod was going up and down in that cylinder like that, the wristpin no doubtedly gouged the cylinder wall bad enugh it probably needs a bore, if not a sleeve at this point.

just my .02

25. Those old blocks could take a lot of abuse. It may pay to do a quick layout dye paint of the cylinder and take a pass on it with a flex hone. It all depends on where the gouge is.

26. I'm 59 and into my '59 Ford project. I'm in pretty good shape except for a thoracic spine injury. I now take a joint supplement, OTC and it really helps. I now can get up off the ground a lot better than a few weeks ago. I do feel that time may be running out for me and am committed to ther project even though I may be a tad over my head at times.

I have people on board that have been an immense help, something about the allure of watching a guy spend a shit-ton of money I suppose. I'm doing all the work myself aside from having axle bearings pressed on and I'm having my glass guy set the vent and door glass. I'm dusting off some dormant skills, I haven't had a real project since my stock car days, which ended 30 years ago almost to the day.

27. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

There's some great guys on this site. I have received PM's from three of them including an offer from a guy to drive up to Kentucky from Alabama, pull the engine, bring it home and fix it, and bring it back and install it. How cool is that? I passed on his very generous offer and am probably just going to sell the car as it sits for a number of reasons. Thanks again for all the comments....

28. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED