Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Eric, that house looks really nice. I might have to come visit. Here are a couple of upholstery pics. Mark.

Attached Files:

daddio211 likes this.
  2. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Eric, here are a couple of pinstripe shots that I had put on. Keep going on yours. It will happen. Mark.

Attached Files:

daddio211 likes this.
  3. daddio211

daddio211

That's the back corner of the lot. I figured if I had an entrance there that would make life simpler for a thief because I wouldn't be able to see it.

Thanks Jeremy! I've really considered a man door elsewhere, but Victoria and I will spend the majority of our daytime hours in the office anyway. Doesn't bother me walking through the office as long as she keeps her side clean! ;)

I've never been a fan of flat roofs, but the city has an ordinance on outbuildings not to exceed 16'. I had originally drawn a pitched roof and intended a vaulted ceiling. The final design will definitely match the exterior of the house with stucco and brick, I'm pretty anal about that kind of stuff.

Funny though, since you mentioned it I realized how incredibly ugly my drawing appears! I assure you that it'll be purty! :D As a matter of fact it'll have an old gas station flavor when finished, but not over the top design/color wise as I don't want it to stand out but complement the property when finished. Hence, the overhang.

Yes I do!

Hell yeah man, come by anytime! Your car is looking absolutely bitchin' my friend! I love how your upholstery guy used the Hide 'Em ends! Very tastefully done!

Looks bitchin!!!

nitrobrother and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The only thing that concerns me with that, is that it would be good to have an emergency exit, in case of something bad happening, safety should always be a primary concern, I think.

Make sure you put a good dead bolt lock on those doors, to aid in keeping thieves out.

daddio211 likes this.
  5. daddio211

daddio211

Good point, Dick, I'll strongly consider it.

6. daddio211

daddio211

Bob sent a pic today. Front shocks are wrapped up with a few pieces he cranked out on the mill and lathe.

1410500531734.jpg

firepilot and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  7. That looks pretty trick Bud, getting closer. JW :)

daddio211 likes this.
  8. daddio211

daddio211

Stopped by a twice yearly gun show today. You can never have enough guns, ammo or hot rods, right? Half the number of vendors this time and half of those vendors were selling jewelry and crap.

As I'm walking down the last aisle (I think there were a whopping five of them) reflecting on my wasted $8 entry fee I spot an older gentleman with a number of vintage rifles.... and license plates!? What the hell are license plates doing here?

Talked with him for a while, nice guy into tri five Chevys and Impalas. Picked up these really nice matched plates for a song, one set never mounted and still wrapped in the DMV paperwork. Maybe that stupid $8 entry fee wasn't so bad.

1410668134079.jpg

1410668182616.jpg

1410668217363.jpg

1410668233715.jpg

Left there and headed to Bob's. Caught him working. Okay, I caught him staring at the chassis contemplating how to run the rear brake lines. So we BS'ed for a while. I cleaned rubbing compound and he continued contemplating that rear brake setup, LOL.

Lots more bolt polishing done, more hardware in place for the final time. His wife's final 3x weekly physical therapy visit from the knee replacement is Monday, so he's promised more results soon.

Again, no concerns. I would like to have it at LARS 2015 though. Enjoy the pics.

1410668261059.jpg

1410668284224.jpg

1410668324327.jpg

More next week!

kiwijeff, firepilot and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  9. Damn that's looking good and those plates are neat. I collect plates and have full set of NZ items back to when they started in the early 20s and only need ten USA ones for that set(pre 85). Staring at something like Bob was is called planning, I know as I find myself doing it a lot.:D Loving the progress Eric. JW

daddio211 likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looking pretty good Eric. You do great work ;) :) So does Bob :D
    Larry

daddio211 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  11. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Looks more like 1st class artwork to me.

Ago

daddio211 likes this.
  12. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

I am liking it Eric. Looking good.

daddio211 likes this.
  13. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks fellas. Larry, he does do nice work for sure. This car is ending up so much nicer than I ever anticipated!

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  14. n847

n847

Wow...looks great & good score on those plates!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

daddio211 likes this.
  15. rjgideon

rjgideon

So, this is the first time I've caught the Vega steering box turned sideways. Is that pitman arm in the center of the steering arc the way it sits? My frame has a tighter pinch at the front than yours, so I was wondering if I would need to switch to traditional steering like Bob has done here or go with a Mopar cowl steering solution. I'm just not that far along yet.

daddio211 likes this.
  16. daddio211

daddio211

RJ, it's actually an early Ford Mustang box, not Vega. Depending on which photo you're looking at the pitman arm may or may not be centered. The center position is just slightly forward of straight up.

Regarding frame width and steering boxes, it's going to depend completely on how you engineer it. This one was kind of a compromise because I wanted outside steering (like we did) but that meant that I would have a somewhat vertical angle on the steering shaft (which I don't like). I had the Mustang box and it was in good shape so we used it. The plus side of the steering entering the cockpit where it does (floor, between my calf muscles) is substantially more leg room.

The pinch in your frame will have very little to do with steering box selection. The steering wheel position and the spindles don't rely on he width of the frame. The Mopar box is a cool unit and looks more traditional than a Vega box, but regardless none of them will take into account the pinch of the frame. If your frame has a significant pinch and you're running your exhaust down through the frame it could be real tight getting your steering through there, but lots of guys do it. I didn't have to worry about that because of the.... shameless plug... www.lakeheaders.com from @saltflatmatt

You just need to engineer your steering to use the parts that you select. Does that help at all? I'm not sure I answered your question.

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks great so far!

daddio211 likes this.
  18. Hi there Eric, have you moved yet? Also hows Bob makin out with the ever so cool T? JW :)

daddio211 likes this.
  19. daddio211

daddio211

Move is done but still living out of boxes. I'm heading up to Bob's in the morning so I'll give a full report tomorrow. :D

20. Good to hear the move has happened and hope all it wasn't too stressful. Hangin out for progress on the T and really looking forward to when the body meets the frame and its sitting on its wheels. JW :D

daddio211 likes this.
  21. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

The wait will be worth it. But you already know this :). Very nice build.

daddio211 likes this.
  22. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks guys! Well, I made it to Bob's this morning. Spent about 5 1/2 hours there polishing.

Bob has finished most of the brake plumbing including residual and proportioning valves. He's also run the 3/8 " fuel line, rear end vent, hung the trans cooler and a few other things.

Today while I was there he mounted the spindles, backing plates and steering arms.

1413089456927.jpg

1413089514184.jpg

1413089551513.jpg

1413089590469.jpg

1413089608738.jpg

1413089634204.jpg

1413089708293.jpg

1413089743399.jpg

1413089763392.jpg

1413089777719.jpg

Sorry. This just might be the most boring thread on the whole HAMB. Oh well, it excites me! :D

firepilot likes this.
  23. It excites me too Eric, the finish on everything is to the highest standard plus a bit more. the most boring thread? ....I don't think so Mister !!! JW:D:D

daddio211 likes this.
  24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is living proff that, slow aint borring!
    One we get a small wiff of update, we boggie back to life!
    I love what I see, and I love to see more! :D

daddio211 likes this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Boring ? :) Hardly Eric, my build has progressed so slowly I also could say it's boring too :D I do keep rolling on however.
    Bob is doing great and it looks good so far.
    So good it almost has me questioning my plan to chrome my wishbones.
    The paint looks good.

Larry

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    daddio211 likes this.
  26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'll add my vote too....I certainly don't find it boring. I have always been fascinated watching anyone who has that much talent and does such meticulous work, keep it up and it will get done and be one fine hot rod. :cool:

Only one thing wrong with it, that I see, it won't be parked in my garage :rolleyes:o_O

daddio211 likes this.
  27. daddio211

daddio211

Ha! Thanks fellas, it is appreciated.

Larry, the last car I built I swore I'd never paint suspension pieces again. I ordered a complete A chassis for my '31 Tudor. Initially I figured it'd be cheaper to get steel parts and paint them. After all that prep work and material I realized ordering chrome would have been much better (and likely cheaper) in the long run. I know you're not in that boat, but thought I'd share my revelation, LOL.

Bob says he's starting on the body next week. Well, he ALREADY started so I guess it's a second start. The cowl and firewall are almost finished. I think he wants to get everything painted before things turn cold here.

28. daddio211

daddio211

I've never rebuilt a rear end before and told Bob I wanted to learn. I swing by the local parts store today to grab bearings, and DAMN! Ford 9" bearings are expensive little shits!

29. t-rod

t-rod

You're in St George, I'm in Bountiful. "Cold" is relative. Oh, Larry is in Canada.

JOYFLEA and daddio211 like this.
  30. Good luck with you 9'' tuition. JW:D

daddio211 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.