Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. neyluftlonqp

neyluftlonqp

looking forward to more info and pics[​IMG]

Denns1989 likes this.
  2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Awesome story.looking forward to more.

Denns1989 likes this.
  3. Thanks for all the kind feedback, I really enjoy sharing this story, I feel very fortunate.
    As mentioned above I'm taking my time to get to know Snoopy & just enjoying every moment that I get to spend, although the dirt & grime was kinda neat as in itself was part of the story, I also wanted to see how it would clean up with a quick pass, over the next few months I plan on removing the interior, scrubbing everything clean & conditioning them, and remounting as much of the glue has let go, but of course not replace anything, just make whats there as presentable as possible - Below is a before, during (I think some critter liked the underside of the old morris minor bucket seats to store their nuts !!) & and after, just using a shop vac.

P1050007.JPG

Dirty floor after 40 + years ! Anyone have an idea what that steering wheel is from? it kinda looks like a later 30's lincoln zepher wheel doing some google searches but still doesn't seem right...

P1050008.JPG

Whewww what a mess, fortunately the critter only chewed some strings under the seat & the lower edge of the seat cover, no holes chewed thru the middle of a panel or anything...

P1050009.JPG

I think that's looking better, I have the woodgrain formica panels for the upper dash inserts as well, they were laying behind the seats on the ledge - When I do things like this my wife starts to see hope, the first time she saw it she could not understand why I was so excited... Ohhh ya the widow thinks she has the key for the ignition as well, her son just had a baby so when she's back home she is going to look around for it, hope she finds it, hate to have a shiny key amongst all that tarnish ! ha ha

WC145 and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Wow, watchin' this!

Denns1989 likes this.
  5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Very cool, love it. Subscribed.

Denns1989 likes this.
  6. Awesome car! Man, I love these old survivors. Can't wait to see you get it back on the road. Looks like it will clean up real well.

Denns1989 likes this.
  7. Good for you! Honesty pays off!

So wild that the car has been in your brain for so long! That car deserves to be maintained just as it is! Looking forward to stories from the original owner!

Kan Kustom and Denns1989 like this.
  8. brady1929

brady1929

Sweet hot rod

Denns1989 likes this.
  9. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

Hey check out Surf City's voodoo blend conditioner for your seats, its good stuff!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Denns1989 likes this.
  10. That car reminds me of a lot of East Coast styled cars running around this area when I was a young guy!

I'm subscribed! HRP

11. ......................So true. It definitely has an East Coast vibe to it.

Boden and Kan Kustom like this.
  12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I posted this before, but if 3wlarry sees it, and HRP sees it, it's official open. B-) if they leave a comment, it's all good.
    Those guy know there stuff!

Still, this is such a great story, remember to take the widow for a ride! She deserves one!

I can't open the last pictures, in the Gallery (in the app).

Do you have any pictures of the underside?

It looks fairly complete, at least to me. But did you say it was missing a Master cylinder? Is it missing roof insert, or left open on purpose?

Why snoopy? First builder? Or just for fun?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. slowmotion

slowmotion

Man, I really like these kind of threads. Great back story, and great old hotrod. Thanks for documenting your adventure and progress. Looking forward to updates.

Denns1989 likes this.
  14. Damn. More pictures, and more story....when you get the time to do so...yes. That's a great find. The headlight pads are something different. Love the fender work. How cool is this ? They never stop plopping out...do they? Every day....someone gets to find something neat. Congratulations man. Good score.

Denns1989 likes this.
  15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good karma! Well played man! Thats one beauty of an old rod. Clean,refresh then...haul ass! Have fun.

Denns1989 likes this.
  16. What a FANTASTIC CAR!!! You must be very proud to own this piece of hot rod history. Thank you so much for sharing ! Mikey

lothiandon1940 and Denns1989 like this.
  17. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Great story thanks for sharing

Denns1989 likes this.
  18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

What a great story and old Hot Rod.
    The HAMB lives for stories like this!

Once you have it running, you should have a get together with the 2 previous owners and let them have one more time behind the wheel-including Elizabeth who did such a bang up job on the interior as a youngster! Be sure to take a group photo with the car.
    While you're at the great advantage of having the previous owners around, you should interview them (or film them walking around the car talking about it.). Find out where they raced (tracks and street), cruised, hung out. Car clubs and names of other Hot Rodders, etc.
    Get any photos, time slips, etc. of the car for posterity.
    Glad you were chosen to be the caretaker and that you're preserving the car as is.
    I hope that in several decades when you're "the old guy with the old Hot Rod in the garage", you too will choose such a worthy caretaker.

WC145, brad2v, calonego and 8 others like this.
  19. Awesome find! I hope the Rodding God smiles on me one day. The best I've located is a rusted out suburban with red velvet curtains and a 80's home stereo system. Nonetheless, Subscribed with envy!!!

Denns1989 likes this.
  20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Nice score!

Probably a good thing it sat since 1970...no doubt it would have been updated and changed over the years. Its pretty rare to find an unchanged hot rod in Canada, especially in the Soo. It sounds like you were the right person for the car, almost like it was waiting for you.

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  21. Now that is a neat ol car! Great find!!

Denns1989 likes this.
  22. bfinch56

bfinch56

Great story aside, that car is rad! I can only imagine what it must feel like to just sit in that drivers seat!

Denns1989 likes this.
  23. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Awesome, Awesome, Awsome!

What a difference the clean carpet makes, hell I don't think I could have stopped there, clean that baby up! Then drive!

Denns1989 likes this.
  24. camerl2009

camerl2009

awesome if I were you though I would check that flathead out before trying anything the cold is not too kind to them especially if it had water in it

25. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

"Anyone have an idea what that steering wheel is from?"

It's the steering wheel form a late 50's Canadian Standard VW Beetle. Had one in mine!

Attached Files:

26. great car, great story. As you were saying about the owner wanting a top loader tranny but could only find the '35, you may want to fulfill his goal and get a top loader with synchros. that would be consistent with the builder's original plan and would make the car much more drivable.

I normally do not like the look of a front spring in front of the axle, but somehow it fits this car. GREAT FIND!

Denns1989 likes this.
  27. Original builder commented that the front suspension & headlight/shock pads look funny but at the time his buddy's were all trying to split the wishbones, modify suspensions on their cars & none got it right, so he decided to leave everything stock (as possible), even with he sway bar, but obviously mounted high to lower the front end, he said it rode great & tracked straight, he remembers being able to go into corners & it "would stick"... one time he came in a little to hot & blew the tire off the bead !

snoopy_23.jpg

He found the grill shell in someones back yard & had to pay $10 for it, he thought that was funny considering he paid $15 for the rest of the body, it didn't have any bars in it so he had a metal shop bend up slats & then he hand cut & filed each one to fit...
    I will share some more details about the engine & it's condition this evening when I have time... but for now the motor situation is looking positive!
    Thanks for all the feedback !

WC145, Baumi, Woogeroo and 2 others like this.
  28. Well damn ! Thanks that has been eating at me, I love knowing where all the bits & pieces originated !

29. awesome man! I love vintage hot rods. especially this one. super cool car ill be following this one, as for interior cleaning theres this stuff me and my dad use for our OT turds, its called "tuff stuff" comes in a big red and yellow can, itll cut the crap but wont hurt your interior. no hazardous fumes too so you can use it inside. I don't know it they sell it up there but its worth checking out.

Denns1989 likes this.
  30. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

This is just awesome!! You seriously could write a book about this car and the story from beginning when he built it till the day you found it, got it all back together running and letting the previous owners take it for one last ride!!

WC145 and Denns1989 like this.