Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical whats the best tranny/running gear for a 292 y-block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamin' ace, Sep 8, 2014.

1. looking to keep the 292 in my truck cause apparently those things are rare in a 59'. this car is going to be driven as much as possible. whats good, tough, trans/rg combo that's relatively easy to install?

2. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

This is just a spitball idea and Im sure it will take some modding/adapters (maybe there are some out there) What about a C4? That might not get frowned upon on here and has many things you can mod for a decent price. Final drive ratio can be a very easy or very calculated choice. What are you looking to use the truck for, daily driving and cruising or are you trying to take it down the track? Are you looking for a lot of power to the rear tires and a huge cam or are you looking to do 70 MPH down the expressway all afternoon. I have always been a fan of 3.73:1. I like to go higher (numerically) on trucks because they tend to be heavier and need the extra mechanical advantage of the lower/more torquey gear sets. If you have a larger cam you will need to jump the ratio up, if its a radical cam you want to be closer to the 4.xx:1 and up. This will effect your speedo, fuel consumption and highway cruising speed/RPMs.

3. IGOR

IGOR

Puttin a brand new 292 in my '57 within the week. Gonna keep the manual 3 speed behind it fer now. That's what it came with so I'm sure it'll work great

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Ford 3.o3 truck 3 speed...

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

search ford-y-block.com & transmissionadapters.com/ford_y_block.htm

6. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

Wilcap makes an adaptor for a GM auto use a 700 for the overdrive,unless your a purist then sorry for bringing it up lol

7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has any one real world experience of running the wilcap deal with the 700r4?
    we have all the parts just asking if there are any pitfalls.

8. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Mummert adapter, mustang t5. I loved this trans behind my 292.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will need to fab-up or buy a bracket for the TV cable, and make sure the geometry on the bellcrank is correct.

Other than that, it will work fine.

10. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Don't go for an auto. There only for old people and those that lack the coordination to manage a clutch and shift gears all at the same time. A c4 auto is no advantage as its still only a 3spd gearbox. Id look at a 3spd o/d great hiway cruising with few gear changes.

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Or you can stay all Ford and get and AOD and adapter kit.

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has any one real world experience of running the wilcap deal with the 700r4?
    we have all the parts just asking if there are any pitfalls.
    You will need to fab-up or buy a bracket for the TV cable, and make sure the geometry on the bellcrank is correct.

Other than that, it will work fine.
    Ala Kart had air bags in 1957. Traditional? Yes!

Ok, this is the main reason we got yellow and fitted a 4bbl rather than our 3x2 we already had. There seems to be a little more info on setting up a 4bbl TV cable to make things live and perform . Still love the 3x2 look though.

13. thanks guys, really helpful, its just gonna be for nice, cruising, with a little rearend power for stoplight to stoplight with some of my buddies on Friday nights. its got the three on the tree currently, which is a lot of fun, but its really not very efficient and probably wont get past 55 without trouble. I want a manual for sure, probably a four speed, so a stang or c4 might be what im looking for. imma contact speed gems and see what they have for a 292. they custom make all their stuff, right?

14. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

I've got a Wilcap behind my 292 with a GM 350 turbo works bitchin but wish i would have used a 700 for the overdrive.All of Wilcaps stuff is very nice very well done with all hardware starter and flywheel,it's a bolt on deal.Call and check or go on the website he makes alot of different applications.

15. bolt on is good, very good. ill check em' out

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's a bunch of crap. An auto is easier to drive in stop and go driving such as slow cruises etc.
    I'm going with a C4 behind my Y block using an adapter from Flat O products.

In a small car like my 26 RPU you are lucky if you can find room for a brake pedal never mind the clutch too.
    Anyone who has a bad hip especially on the left side quickly learns to appreciate the auto trans.

The C4 is a fine transmission behind a Y block, there are lots of them out there, look up our own McTim64 he has at least 3 of them. His Y block powered FED and his Y block powered Bonneville truck and his Y block powered Model A sedan.
    All running Flat O adapters and C4s.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

4 speed, C-4 C-6 offer zero improvement over the 3 speed on the top. With the stock 3 speed highway speeds should be no problem. I had a 63 with the T98 4 speed and 5.13 0r 5.26 axles and it cruised 50-55. My F-1 has the original 3 speed and it's a blast,especially 2nd gear.

Really there's no advantage for a swap unless you go with an overdrive transmission.

18. yeah i doubt ill be swapping anytime soon its just if the current one ever goes out i will probably want to do a swap. the three speed is fun and i really like it its just i wanted something that could take a beating and is better for a little street racing from time to time