Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Yeah baby!!! I have one of those in my future too....just not right now because I'm broke..but SOON!!!
    Man, everytime I come over here your breaking my heart with this awesome stuff...GRRRRRR :D
    Awesome video by the way...
    GET-R-DONE!!

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ugh....I know,I know!lol!

It runs a clutch,but it's pretty much bomb-proof,and every A and B gas supercharged car that was running out front ran one around 63-64.
    SWC,Mazmanian,the Malicoat Bros,Jr Thompson,KS Pittman......everybody ran a clutch hydro at the time,either by B&M,or one of the other shops that were booming at the time.

It is one hell of a lot more fun rowing gears in an actual 4-spd manual though!:)

Plus,after moving this damn thing a few times,I have my doubts I can actually lift it to put it in the car anymore...!
    Ever lift a cast iron 4 speed automatic lately?OUCH!:(

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Just giving you shit cause its so much fun.:) I have never seen a clutch flight so it would be cool if you ran it just for the period feel. Most of my build is targeted at period more than speed. Otherwise I would just be building a race car. (Which would really suck being beat after all the effort - this way it will add a nostalgia feel to losing :rolleyes:)

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

I totally agree,if you focus strictly on speed,you end up with way too much modern technology on the car an it wrecks the whole thing by forcing everyone to constantly update to stay competitive,turning the cars into te very thing we are trying to avoid:modern race cars.

And this thing is even more of a dinosaur than a ClutchFlite!:)
    It's a clutch hydro!:)

You should have seen all the trouble I had finding a guy who could actually work on this stuff...!lol!

And yes,I've wanted this sticker on the side of a car since I was a kid:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410179825.854811.jpg

:D

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Ponti461, enloe and Dog_Patch like this.
  5. CGkidd

CGkidd

This a awesome build. I got to get back home and work on my Stude.

6. afaulk

afaulk

Nice start! You stole my thunder. I've been looking for a 39-41 coupe for my 392. PS Copperheads are mean sons of beaches! Keep up the good work.

7. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Looking bitching bro. Keep on cranking.

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Good job Dog Patch. I'm signed up so be on your Ps and Qs I'll be watching LOL. Let me know if I can help.

9. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Dang Tony, I am just now seeing this thread. I just can't get use to the new HAMB format and believe I am missing a lot of cool stuff. I am really digging your build! Keep up the killer work!

10. There's Curtis :) . I here ya brother on the new HAMB format. Its like Windows 8 you just have to muscle through it - its not going away :confused: but now we have all these cool smileys and the pic upload is was better. Did you get my PM ? Probably haven't figured that out yet LOL - I sent you the SIM video :

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

What are you going to use for intake manifold?

12. Anyhow - some progress this weekend - mostly because we went to Ware Shoals and talked to Quain and Tommy for like 2 hours. Got lots of ideas and stopped on some work to go back and make some changes. One major item was the ladder bars.

My buddy Tylercrawford did me a huge solid by making up these threaded plugs for the ladder bars :

DSC03782 (Copy).jpg

The consensus after txting 2 mechanical engineers, 1 electrical engineer, a brew miester and a guy who runs a campground, was to do a fishmouth on each side and a rosette deeper in the pocket.
    DSC03785 (Copy).jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    Bean Dip likes this.
  13. DSC03787 (Copy).jpg

Attached Files:

14. Next we loaded up to go to the Southeast Gasser race. After Quain explaned the bend in the ladder yet again o_O it finally sunk in and I had an oh - shit moment. Went home and drew a picture. Then ordered a Male / Female adjuster since some of this is welded already. It should work like the cat's ass. The top bar needs cut and the buckle will screw into both.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kys-100-200-82
    drawing1 (Copy).jpg

DSC03784 (Copy).jpg

15. Damn the pic uploads :mad: Flash Player keeps crashing and goofing up the pic order. I'll try again later.

16. Glenn - I have the most bad ass intake and intake story - can't wait to post that. Maybe tonight.

17. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Yeah, I am still figuring everything out... Your video ROCKs! Next year your Dodge will be in the highlight reel. Hammer Down brother!

18. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Not knowing the rear end and frame mounting points, how do you adjust IC or will you?

Looks great so far :D

19. CGkidd

CGkidd

Looking good.

20. Thanks guys - hoping to pick up speed here sometime :). Tyler the way I plan to do it is make a LOT of extra adjustment holes in all the brackets and then cut off the extra long stuff later.

Ok - was gonna save this for the engine mock up but its killing me not to show it off :D. So every morning I get some coffee and surf through Ebay. Once in a while luck just hits. So I see this Hemi injection setup that looks real clean - says bought new in 1965. I'm like what the ?? that's 50 years. It has a Buy It Now button. Man I need a setup but was going to wait till I got there on the build. Hummina hummina hummina - damn what to do ...... CLICK! Ok now we have Fuel Injection.:)

Ebay has a "Ask seller question section" so I ask was it ever raced, do you have any pics ? And put in my phone number. Later that day the phone rings - guy says he is Dave McCain. I'm like ok. "The guy you bought the injection from." So I'm like ok - cool - "Wow you had this for 50 years?" Then this is where I step on my dick - "When did you stop racing?"

"Stop racing? Never! I have 2 land speed records at Bonneville and one at El Mirage at least I think one still stands, I have a blown flathead dragster that does 7's in the 1/4. " So by now I don't have any words worth saying. "Do you know anything about fuel injection?" I said no - not yet anyway. :rolleyes:

So long story short the guy is world famous and cool as hell. We talked for a long time and he asked if I wanted the timing cover that was on the dragster the injection came off. I said heeeeeeellllll yeeeessss!! So he sold me that and said he would toss in an SP gas pedal for the gasser build.

A week goes by and the box gets here.
    Dave was cool enough to send a pic with him and the dragster and his business card - ' Dave's Rod Shop and Bar ' man wish we were closer.

Enough words
    DSC03801 (Copy).jpg

DSC03803 (Copy).jpg

DSC03795 (Copy).jpg

DSC03799 (Copy).jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    4tford, OahuEli, Mopar Man 73 and 5 others like this.
  21. Cirus Bear better come and get this pinball machine or I might just keep it.

22. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Nice injectors, Gene can give you some pointers about the Hilborn injection at Ware Shoals next week. Send the ser. # to Hilborn and they will send you a copy of the original invoice, it's something cool to have with it.

23. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Ive seen this Hilborn close up and personal. The guy says he only ran it 3-4 times then sold the car and it shows! The unit is mint mint mint!!! Time capsule stuff man.... Way cool score Tony

24. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Gene or Quain...Quain had mine sorted out over the phone in two calls and then about five minutes working on the car...it ran way better than the two months of me and a buddy trying.

Meltdown Drags
    July 17,18,19 2015

beebee78 likes this.
  25. Wow! Nice score on the injector setup!! Did you say Hot Rod Shop and BAR??? That's the stuff dreams are made of. I'll start bugging Circus Bear about the pinball. I want to play it.

26. That is a bitchin' setup with some awesome history brother :cool:

Dave I am envious of that wicked pinball machine brother K:cool::cool:L

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Always liked stck injectors, and they make a lot of sense on a gasser. Deep down I have a dream of putting a set on BGII, but with the electronic controls available for street use.
    OK "Trad Police" flame on! My hot rodding days weren't frozen in time back inna day that yall want to emulate. We got the latest and best we could find and afford.I ran the Rochester/GM injectors on a 327 in '53 Stude coupe back in the early 60s when that was "state of the art".

28. Frank - you are correct! Hilborn sent this back in about 3 hours! Way cool stuff!
    hilborn.jpg

29. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

just keeps getting cooler and cooler

GAOldsman likes this.
  30. CGkidd

CGkidd

Oh Damn thats cool