Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 409 20 Day to Great Bend KS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saltflats, Sep 6, 2014.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So this is what I am starting with. My good friend Tom K has a 62 BelAir 2 door post with what we think is a 409 with mismatched cylinder heads and a turbo 350 tranny. So let the games begin.

Got the heads off and surprised to find a standard bore 409 pass block with H/P pistons.
    Lifters and cam look good its a solid but not sure what it is but we are just going to stay with for better or worst. The block is a 65 block so last of the 409 run hope we don't break it.

Now we have a fresh set of 690 heads to install on it and get it dialed in with the 2X4 factory intake and a pair of AFB carbs.

Next we will start on the chassis buy installing some adjustable shocks all the way around remove P/S and install a spool with some 4.88. Then we will install a billet center support bearing holder on the drive shaft the change wheels a tires so it will hook up.

I will try and up date as I get further along. P1010018.JPG P1010019.JPG P1010020.JPG P1010021.JPG P1010021.JPG P1010022.JPG

2. FYI: you are not running deep pulleys and 409's were known for throwing belts, the first thing that it will hit is your fuel hose......
    she is real fine

els and butchcoat1969 like this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The fuel line will change and will not be running a generator plan is to mount alt down low and run it off the crank then just run a belt from crank to water pump I think the belts will not be a problem.

els likes this.

4. slowmotion

slowmotion

Giddy-Up!!

els likes this.
  5. Nice 62, my favorite style for sure. Sweet package! So am I to understand that you bought this from Tom? Or are you helping him out with it?

els likes this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Personally I wouldn't a spool on the street, not worth it IMHO. Apart from that it should get up and boogie.

els likes this.
  7. Deuces

Deuces

That puppy looks sweet...

els likes this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No I did not buy it Tom has been tired of me telling him we need to go drag racing and a spool would be just fine for that.

62hotcat likes this.
  9. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Where you guys gonna run this I see fl tags in background ...Gainsville,Bradenton,Bithlo, WPB??????

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

els and jakespeed63 like this.
  10. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

441 just south of yehaw junction is long and strait desolite.......lol

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

els and jakespeed63 like this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Will be racing in Great Bend KS 20 days from now if the good lord is willin and the creeks dont rise.

The bumpers are some swap meet parts for a 65 GTO (for sale if you know someone that needs them) wee live in LA that stand for lower Ashland Mo

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

up date for today. Test fit with the fresh heads piston to valve clearance OK. P/S knocked off and rear wheels tested fitted every thing is thumbs up so for.

13. loudbang

loudbang

Good stuff one of my favorites even though I'm a diehard ford man.

els likes this.
  14. why Great Bend ?, why not Mo-Kan?

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am sure it will make it there also with the cars new leaf on life.
    The Great Bend trip is planed for the 348 409 forum get together the last week end of September.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Got started making a big mess port matching the intake.

Attached Files:

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

What's wrong with the generator??? It has work all these years and now you are going to abandon it for no reason ? Keep the generator and the mech. fan. Don't be a scaredy cat. Rebuild it and run it proudly!!!!

Bob Lowry and bowie like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was thinking that the generators didn't like a lot of RPM and the alternator would weigh a little less.

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

News flash after I had a chance to check my work twice after the crew had left I found that the oversize exhaust valve it just contacting the block in the combustion camber. Not to despair we have a truck block we could build with a know cam that we have on the shelf.
    Or I may try some offset dowel pins but then the intake valve may hit.

More to come.

20. Tom Kochtanek

Tom Kochtanek

James is doing a great job of urging me along in making decisions related to the build. We definitely want to get the vehicle ready for Great Bend in less than three weeks! Lots of simultaneous efforts related to the engine build, wheels and tires, rear end setup and a host of other challenges. I always thought of this '62 Belair as a sort of fun race car, and we have a chance to prep it for Great Bend where a lot of my die hard race buddies will be congregating on September 25th-28th. The planning of this event has made me want to see one (or more!) of my cars go down that legendary track!
    Right now we're thinking of dismantling a bone stock 1965 truck engine (with limited compression pistons and heads) and turning that into some semblance of a torque monster with open headers, forged aluminum pistons, a radical cam, and those heavily ported 690s. I suspect the weak link will be the GM dual quad intake. And the rear end. And the transmission :). And we need to decide soon, as time is marching along!

More later as James and I look at the options from creating something interesting out of parts lying around my basement! Here's a shot of some of those options:
    IMG_8059.JPG

Cheers!
    Tom Kochtanek

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I will take the shiny one in the white car.

23. loudbang

loudbang

Dam those Corvette Style finned valve covers on a "W" are awesome

els likes this.
  24. Well Tom, I see that basement hasn't changed much! Quite a bunch of stash and lots to pick from!

25. good you checked that valve lash.....ask me how I know.....

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Think I got lucky on this one. I caught this by noticing a scuff in the carbon in the combustion chamber in the block.
    Looks like a truck block would be the best bet and would help unshroud the valve.

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Up date interference block is out of car I helped Tom get pistons out of truck block so we could pack it to the truck.
    Did I say my back hurts?
    Anyway the truck block is on the stand and ready for some mock up with different pistons and cam and check again.
    Sounds like a broken record sorry.

28. Tom Kochtanek

Tom Kochtanek

I left my two wheeler on the job site about 6 miles away. James and I got to carry that 409 block with pistons and cam about 100 feet out to the driveway. Felt more like a quarter mile :).

I'm trying unsuccessfully to load a picture of James with his entire six foot plus frame in the engine bay. That's how he gets at those fasteners near the firewall. No wonder his back is sore!

29. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a cool SLEEPER! I'd love to see it wipe up the street against a 5.0 or fart can car.

lawman likes this.