Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Frank Pittenger in a bad wreck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andy, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Sad news for us here at the Early Ford show in Westlake. We wish him a speedy recovery.

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I didn't know them , but I'm saddened to hear of the accident . I hope he's back on his feet soon . Prayers goin' out ...

3. Well stated!

4. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

My prayers go out to Frank and his family. I know I have seen his car at the pavilions show. May his recovery be quick and full.

5. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

So Very Very sad , sincere condolences from us all at LimeWorks .Here's hoping for a full recovery Frank .

6. I can't believe that something this bad can happen, with such tragic results to such good people. I met Frank several years ago at the GoodGuys Scottsdale shows and his roadster was picked for the Midwest Deuces "Best Deuce" Award. I took a ton of pictures of the car and talked to Frank at length about the roadster and how he hunted down every part and piece of it for years. True hot rodders, partners in life enjoying a beautiful day in an iconic roadster, this just shouldn't happen. I wish Frank the best in the future.

7. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

So sad, my prayers go out to him for the loss of his wife. Heard about this from my mate in Australia.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Not that it matters, but has anyone heard what exactly happened ? It sounds like another driver did something to cause it ? Not being insensitive to their loss, just wondering.

Don

9. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

Man, this really sucks. Prayers to him for the loss of his wife's life.

10. I remember the Pittengers from my childhood. Definitely a Hot Rod patriarch in the Phoenix area. My dad new them well. Praying.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Damn. Thank you for that information. Just goes to show how you can be having a great time one minute and then something like this happens.

Don

12. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Some of us local guys are having ann informal benefit cruise for the family this Saturday the 6th. Meet up at the old McDonald's on Central, just north of Osborn at 6pm. A hat will be passed and Hot Rod Ron is working on setting up PayPal for online donations. More details on the dreaded Facebook. .....

https://www.facebook.com/events/296005500604631/

We will cruise from downtown to an event at a go kart track in north Phoenix. PM me here on the HAMB or call/text me for details.... 6026206013

13. Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  14. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Can't make that cruise .... the girlfriend is moving this weekend. But thanks for the PayPal option.

15. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Very sorry to hear about Frank and his wife. We all drive defensively and anything can happen. Enjoy every minute.

16. Mike

Mike

I'll be there. Mary also if she's not working.

18. Heartbreaking.

19. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

HRP, Andy, I concur that just because you can doesn't mean you should. I do hope that one thing that comes out of this tragedy is that many will install some type of restraint system in their cars to avoid another potential family loss...

cptn60 likes this.
  20. 327Eric

327Eric

I am sorry for his tragic loss, and pray for his recovery. I do not think the posted pictures are inappropriate. I for one looked at the pictures and it was a wake up call for me, as to the safety of my own cars. Many cruise around in these old cars, without any thought of safety, but the world was different when they were designed. Keep the pics up. I for one will be adding seatbelts to everything before I drive them again. My .02.

21. Very tragic loss my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family

22. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Thoughts and prayers to Frank and the family.

23. Just thought it would put it in prospective of the accident by posting photos. Sorry to offend anyone that felt it was inappropriate, my apology. Frank is a member of our Early Ford V-8 club and these photos were shared to all members of our club. Seems Frank knows alot of people on Jalopy Journal website and thought they might want to know. The Editor pulled the posting of Photos, Our Prayer's our with the Pittenger Family.

24. push_rod

push_rod

A horrible tragedy, apparently, some impatient lady cut in front of them... as a line of 15 rods were cruising on an open road. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who have been affected. Judging from what I’ve read, Heaven is now a brighter place with Karen in it…

A street rodder friend of mine informed me of the accident, and has been sending me updates. Here is the text written by an eye witness to the accident:

“I was leading the cruise of 15 cars to Frank and Karen’s favorite restaurant in Greer, the Rendezvous Diner. We were about a mile from the Diner when the accident occurred. My wife was taking pictures and saw the accident through her telephoto lens. Karen was wearing a seat belt but still hit the windshield causing a skull fracture. Frank was not wearing a belt but the steering wheel kept him in the car. I found a lens from Frank’s sunglasses about 10ft in front of the car. Frank did lock up the brakes evidenced by 20 or 30 feet of skid marks. Unfortunately, it took over 30 minutes to get medical help to the scene. I took the pictures below after Frank and Karen were evacuated from the scene.”

I have driven tens of thousands of miles in my own street rod, which I’ve owned for 40 years… I only have lap belts. Thankfully, I have had a few close calls, but no accidents… yet. Many of today’s cars are full of safety features that our street rods will never have. Modern technology is trending toward cars that will eventually drive themselves, but until we reach that point, the most important safety feature is still the driver behind the wheel. When something like this happens, I am forced to realize that there are a lot of things in this world that are beyond my control… like the bad decisions other drivers make, and how long it takes for emergency personal to arrive. Looking at the photos I've seen, it is obvious to me that Frank did all he could to avoid the accident, he kept his car from going off the road or into oncoming traffic… sadly the collision was unavoidable.

The first photo was taken about 1 minute before the accident. Frank and Karen are in the 2nd car in line.
    The next photo shows the vehicle that pulled out in front of them. The last photo is of Frank and Karen with their roadster; obviously a wonderful couple, I wish I'd had the chance to know them.

Do your best to stay safe, and may God watch over all of us,

David Perry
    image011.jpg image015.jpg 10628420_10202346180567763_4962412484844025079_n.jpg

Jim Elgan likes this.
  25. Mike

Mike

I respectfully ask that anyone who wishes to debate the safety issues of driving old cars and hot rods please refrain from posting thoughts on that debate in this thread. That is not the purpose of this thread. Feel free to start another thread for that purpose.

Thank you,
    Mike Latus

P.S. This post is not directed at anyone in particular. I just know how a debate like that can send a thread out of control in a hurry. I don't want to see that happen here.
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  26. stoneyzoni

stoneyzoni

I just left the hospital from visiting Frank. He seems to be on schedule with his recovery. He is being moved to a rehabilitation facility where he will likely be for at least 6-8 weeks. Frank is aware of the many prayers and concerned hearts of all his fellow rodders and friends.

27. Again see my post about the paypal account set up or come with us on the cruise. For those not on Facebook the cruise is this Saturday at 6pm starting at the closed McDonalds on central ave down town just south of indian school road.

28. Prayers to all involved.

Jacquelyn Peterman likes this.
  29. My name is Jacquelyn Peterman and I am a granddaughter of Frank and Karen Pittenger (my mother Julie is their daughter). Thank you all for your words of kindness and prayers. My family and I greatly appreciate all of the love and support we have been receiving. We will miss grandma dearly, but we are so thankful that grandpa is still with us and is recovering well.

Again, thank you all for the support. I am truly touched.

30. Jim Elgan

Jim Elgan
    from Miami AZ

Good afternoon folks; Frank has now been transferred to Sante' Rehab. & Medical Center, 17490 N 93rd street , Scottsdale AZ 85255. Could be his home for a few months. Still saying no visitors, but I understand he is loving the cards....

studebaker eric and hd1084 like this.