Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Hell's Messenger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 3, 2014.

1. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I usually sit back and read and consider others posts on threads like this. But Ryan struck a chord with this one. I saw that picture and immediately loved it. I have a friend who's Dad has a 34 sedan that he built around 64-65 time frame. It is rough and nasty and raucus to ride in. When I talk to the Dad, I still see the young man that built the car behind the responsible bill paying man. I told my friend that in his Dad, I still see a bit of the boy. When you lose that, you are officially old.

I am glad that when I look at that 34, I still have a "bit of the boy".

2. ...............................................or officially DEAD!

volvobrynk and gwhite like this.
  3. ELMER FUDD

ELMER FUDD

l_547th-bomb-squadron-384th-bomb-group-5-patch-29b8.jpg B_17F_42_5849_SO_N hell\'s messenger 50p.jpg This is the 547th Bomb Squadron, 384th Bomb Group Patch. The text from the side of the 17, and the patch logo, can be found on Timmy's 34.

I am so proud of both of my Grandpas for their courage and willingness to serve. Thank you Veterans.

4. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

5. Just look at the wear and tear on that plane. Proof that when you're out kicking ass the machinery aint always pretty. Looks beautiful to me.
    Thanks Veterans

lothiandon1940 likes this.

6. Now THAT is the photo of the day

volvobrynk and Keep like this.
  7. I've always loved that car, but I had forgotten who owned it...... Heck I'm not even getting old!

8. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car is punk rock. In your face, no apologies given, I'm not doing it right unless I'm
    pissing someone off punk rock. I love it.

I think that's what hot rodding is supposed to be, even though as time goes on we tend to "smooth out the rough edges" and maybe lose some attitude.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  9. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Damn Elmer that is the post of the week! God Bless all those "kids" who whipped Hitler and Tojo to make the world free. We won't soon see another generation like that one.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Ryan posted that no one has mentioned about the insane work done on the 21 stud. He must not of read ALL of the posts as I made a point of including that in my initial response to this thread way back at the beginning. After being involved in "hot rodding" for over 50 years and owning a high performance engine shop back in the mid 60's-late 70's I remain equally loyal to early gow jobs AND mind bending engine work. What father Elmer did to that flathead is no less a work of art than the chop job done by the "kids".

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you got that right! It is a badass hot rod, the rest is just nit-picking. Very entertaining thread.

12. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

He doesn't read all of the posts, I made mention of the 21 stud flathead on page 3 and on page 4 Ryan says everyone overlooked the 21 stud flathead.

13. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

I was thinking Pierson Brothers. Either way, I love me a hard chop. The car reminds me of some posters I used to see around, Santa Rosa/Pengrove, Ca. Its what made me search out this site.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Most praise coming from the Vintage Air, MP3 stereo, cup holders, air ride, and fancy cloth seats crowd. This car... Hotrod, makes them remember what originally got them into Hotrods. It also reminds them how sedate and maybe stale, their whole involvement in Hotrods has become. I like that. People becoming self aware.

15. Nobody reads all the posts here.
    It's classic hamb. Shit 1/2 the people don't even read the first post completely on the majority of threads here. How can you tell?

Reminds me of elementary school.
    Ohh ohh ohh I noticed it, I did I did I did notice
    Me too me too

Boggus Deal and volvobrynk like this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good god men... I must have missed your posts. So sorry. All credit given!

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. I just wanted to tag that fact since many missed it. Not including Frank AND you!

18. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Say no more. Tradition, blood, creativity, inspiration... all coming to a head and creating a masterpiece. Keep up the work Elmers. You have inspired alot of guys to do it for all the right reasons.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Very cool car. I love the "theme" behind it. I personally almost liked it better when it still had some of the black paint on the body. It almost seemed more in keeping with the having been used and abused from a new state like a bomber would have been during the war.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. silverdome

silverdome

Would I chop a car like that? HELL NO!
    Would I like to drive it like I stole it? HELL YEAH!
    Afterwards, could you knock the grin off my face with a 2 X 4? NO WAY IN HELL!

Now tell us more about this car and engine.

I forgot to add. Do I like the car? OH HELL YES!
    I just turned 52 so I'm allowed to forget ain't I? If not then like Ryan said GFY.
    A car like this can make you feel young again by just looking at and reading about it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  21. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

MELIKEITALOT........ AWESOME!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. banginona40

banginona40

Stepping out of bounds and taking chances is what art is all about and Hell's Messenger is an artists work, no doubt. I commend the builder for following his vision, maybe not for everyone but it sure makes a statement.

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When I was in art school, our instructor took us on a tour of The Menil Collection, here in Houston. Look it up, great place. While there, I noticed a canvas painted white. That's all it was. A 2' x 3' canvas painted an off shade of white. "Not getting it", I asked what was the idea behind it. My instructor told us, "Sometimes, art is just meant to get a reaction. Positive or negative, it's how it effects your senses. It makes you think."

At the time, I thought that was a nice, well thought out line of bull shit. It's a clever way to cover your ass, when a real answer won't or can't be given. Today, I'm comfortable with that answer. As humans, we are all individuals. No two are exactly alike and so are our interpretations of the things around us. The problems come, when the artist or individual gets upset by the observation or comment that the art creates.

The group of individuals that built this car, probably set out with the intention to create what THEY liked. Screw the rest of us. That's why I can like it. I'd never chop a coupe that way, but it's not mine. The logistics of driving it don't add up to me and it has nothing to do with age or maturity. In MY world, it wouldn't be practical.

So, I say, chop the hell out of 'em. Do whatever floats your boat. Like the Deuce with a 2 1/2" windshield, in another thread, I'd like to see it done in a lakes style. That would be great. What I really wouldn't like to see, are folks trying to duplicate this effort under the guise of "art", when all they're really doing is trying to "one up" the competition. That's what caused all those rat rods to crawl out of the wood work. Started out interesting, ended up fake and pretentious. Too many "artist" just plain faking it, isn't good for anything or constructive.

crminal likes this.
  24. I just like the look of the car looking like an "Old Palooka"... Battle tested and still in the gym!

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. First off I want to thank you Ryan for doing this great story about a KICK ASS HOT ROD. Then thanks Tim for building this GREAT car for us all to feast our eyes and hearts on.
    But I just want to send out a big thank you to Mike for taking such great shots of this hot rod that Ryan posted for all to enjoy. THANK'S MIKE & RYAN

Buick59 likes this.
  26. Nothing captures evil hot rod more than this car....So badass! I love everything about it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  27. did somebody order a shipment of...... FREEDOM?

b-17 crews had so much guts and were so great, hearing their stories always shocks me. thanks to all our veterans

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. LOUIELOUIE

LOUIELOUIE

Elmers raised the bar I'd say!!! And smacked some of you in the face while doing it. Sounds like Hells message is getting delivered....
    Great thread Ryan nice work Elmers Boys

29. Buddha Doll

Buddha Doll

Wow what a bad ass ride!

30. Hot Rodding is rebellion in the purist form. Love it or, hate it, that car screams rebellion.

Dustin