Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pete Eastwood built 29' roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barillaro Speed Emporium, May 30, 2014.

1. sota

sota

Looks bitchin Jim. Now that Mike's is in color and once mine is painted your next on the list if have any fingure tips left!

2. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

That stance is killer!

3. Thanks Ed! Will get all these cars done sooner or later!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Thanks man, rear is going to have to come up about an 1" more to get everything to work.

5. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Try to get all the documentation you can on this hotrod. A hand written letter from Pete and first time personal assembly photos from him would be great. Thanks for the updates................................

6. Good idea, I asked Pete if he had pictures when we talked and he didn't think he had any. I've been picking at some things on the front suspension and gathering parts. Got a pair of original 32' perches with the shock ball cut off and took out the stainless street rod ones. Trying to use parts like they would have back then. I also picked up some original 33' commercial headlights. Not trying to build the car exact but a good representation of the pre Pete & Jakes era.

Low Beam and volvobrynk like this.
  7. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Do you know what issue of R&C this hot rod is in? You can never have to much history on a old hotrod..........................

8. The Gray Baskerville "'29 highboy" article posted in the OP is from the February 1974 issue of ROD&Custom ... Here's a better scan:

ROD&Custom - February 1974 - page 14.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    Tim and volvobrynk like this.
  9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Driving to LARS from Knoxville, TN ? I am going to El Mirage sometime this year, and if the Good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise, I will make the trek to LARS the following year. Just came back from East CT. where my buddy bought a really clean '32 5-w. Noticed how beautiful TN. and VA. are. Bet the cruising is great. Good luck.

10. Mocked up the cut down 32' headlight bar and the original 33' commercial headlights. Need to figure out the shocks.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Really lookin for some updates. I love this stuff...................

12. The car is looking great! Are you going to run the louvered hood sides?

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very cool that you ended up with it... and Pete IS a great guy!
    I'll be following along, also. Looking forward to your updates.

14. The plan is to run the funky aluminum hood sides with the louvers and the blister......

15. Thanks man, Pete is a super nice guy. Updates will be slow until I figure out the engine and trans combo. I'm really torn on this one.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Look long and hard at the shell/hood sides. I believe the stock shell is sitting excessively high...
    ('29 cowl is lower than a '32, and the sweep of the rails makes the full length shell higher in profile than the body's natural spec. Didn't the car have a chopped shell when Vince had it?)

17. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

What a sweet ride! Love the stance and the new headlights

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am pretty sure he has the same pieces as it had
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He just has it loosely assembled in the photo taken in his garage.
    I just hope he paints the thing something besides yellow but keeps the hood sides.

19. I have the exact same shell, hood top, and sides with the car. It is just mocked up on the car for now. Still has the same pearl yellow paint.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Haha, I don't think I could do the yellow paint but the plan is to keep the hood sides.

21. bct

bct

can you tell me about the all ford hairpins?

22. The hairpins were made using a 32-34 wishbone yoke with a batwing bracket cut out and tig welded to fit the contour. When I got the car I thought Pete used early ford tie rods to make the actual hairpin but he told me he actually used 4130 chromemoly. If you look at a Pete & Jakes batwing you realize after looking that it evolved from an early ford wishbone yoke.

volvobrynk and bct like this.
  23. Chuck R

Chuck R

Looks awesome, I wouldn't mess with the stance. Pete knows the look, and your car has it. 29 ford highboys are the best looking hot rods on the road. You have a classic, enjoy it!

HEMI32 likes this.
  24. Agreed!

@Pete Eastwood definitely knows "the look" ... and a '29 hi-boy on Deuce rails is my all-time favorite "Hot Rod" (wish I never sold mine).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Thanks for all the compliments. Pete Eastwood is a hot rod hero in my book and I'm partial to chassis set up more than anything on a hot rod

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Can't hold my breath much longer for an update!!!!!!!!

27. Sorry for the lack of updates, been working on my brothers track T for the Race of Gentlemen. Should be back on it after the race!!

Attached Files:

Stovebolt likes this.
  28. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

If working on a track T you are forgiven..................................now I will take a second breath..............

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Turning BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. OFT

OFT

Looks like your going to turn all shades of blue. Race weekend starts this Friday.