Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Hell's Messenger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Hell's Messenger

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

bluthndr, robber, cody1958 and 3 others like this.
  2. I love that car..........and the Green Grenade as well.

3. dale66

dale66

Very nice........and very cool to see the car being driven during construction

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. brady1929

brady1929

Some bad ass hot rods.

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The way this car looks is what I originally wanted to do to my coupe until creeping elegance took over the build. I really like everything about Tim's coupe except the awkward chop.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Take me to hell brother !! I'll bring the fire proof underwear........crotchless if there is any hell's hotties there. Everything in your article is spot on......love the car/cars.....and I am in the throes of what you discuss.....with life's obstacles. All of my auto dalliances started without kids, house, and responsibilities. Now that they are here, alot of my car stuff sits in stasis......with me......selling shit off.....but I am not normally "that guy"......... Scary to think that, at 42........I may not get there....building again. Watching all the other kids play with their toys.....sometimes just fukn' sucks.............this one makes my heart beat fast.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    GreenMonster48 likes this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's cuz you are too damned old to get it. :)

8. brady1929

brady1929

Paging Larry to the white courtesy phone. You're up slugger.

9. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I feel pretty old myself, right about now.

Special Ed likes this.
  10. EarlyFordV8

EarlyFordV8
    from Dallas

same type edgy fun photo 5.JPG wickedness

11. Great post, Ryan. I've been feeling some of those things you mentioned. The creature comforts creeping in as I get older and grow the family, prolonging the build, driving myself crazy "should I relocate the gas tank to the back? I should just paint the truck and worry later-yeah but then I've got to weld up the filler neck hole".

Those coupes are raw. They're like the chocolate chip cookie dough you're not supposed to eat, but you find yourself spooning out of the tube at 3 am. They're the exact level of anti-something the world needs.

barett likes this.
  12. NoSurf

NoSurf

bad ass.

general gow likes this.
  13. pumpman

pumpman

They just looked pissed off and ready to take on the day. Enjoyed this one boss.

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Love that car so much.I had to render it somehow….
    …Who the f**k are you calling old?…..punk!

M40loREStest 0001A.jpg

Toms Dogs, Labold, K.L and 10 others like this.
  15. I don't think I'd have the stomach to chop a 5w that much. It's because I'm weak! That takes cojones and the risk paid off.

16. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

OMG That 34 is BAD ASSS!!!! I particularly like the multi colored version. Looks like it's been to Hell and Back and looking for it's next victim.

I know what my next project will be.

17. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

the pure rawness of this car is what makes it so "evil." absolutely bad ass.

18. ......................That "creeping elegance" thing will really get you off-track.:);)

19. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The act of simply looking at that car makes one feel like they have somehow increased their level of bad-assness.

I can't even imagine driving/owning it. I'd be in jail and it would be that car's fault.

There's something visceral in that car.

20. I think Larry just got bitch slapped by the Boss!o_O

But the is no doubt that Larry knows how to built a beautiful coupe! HRP

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. banginona40

banginona40

I'm old, but not too damned old to love that coupe.

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The Elmers do have a way with sheet metal. And that flathead that their dad screwed together is just insane with all of the trick machine work. I'm glad we were able to follow along and see this one evolve .
    As for 3w Larry's comments about the "awkward" chop Ryan hit it on the head. Us old farts do have our limits as to how far we can see ourselves going with "in your face" builds. I suspect it's from the "living" that we have done and in the process we find that "going too far" has it consequences in many aspects of life and that keeps us from the final push. A lot of us can remember when we didn't ask out the chubby girl in English class just because we were afraid of what our peers would say only to find out at the 10th class reunion she turned out to rival the best of the Playboy centerfolds.
    I'll turn 70 this month and I can't thank Ryan enough for this place. After over 50 years of this thing we call "hot rodding" an old dog CAN learn a new trick or two and while the remaining builds I have left on my plate will reflect my conservative build views I'm hoping the 435 hp/427/ 5spd/ quick change '32 5w that's been waiting a looooong time in the wings will at least up the pulse rate enough to recall the days when "too much" was just right.

Frank

23. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

And it's a 5-window! 5ws always say bad ass Hot Rod to me!

"After over 50 years of this thing we call "hot rodding" an old dog CAN learn a new trick or two..." Something is wrong here, either Hot Rodding started in 1964, or you were not interested in Hot Rods until you were 20, or your not to good at math!

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Thank you Ryan.
    I got the same feeling reading about Lance Sorchik's Olds powered coupe when it first hit the magazines.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  25. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Um, that car IS chopped too much – and that's a small part of what makes it right. I need to get rolling on my own coupe again.

bluthndr and general gow like this.
  26. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

yah, banginona40, I'm with you. I'm old too but being a kid who was in high school in the 50s that coupe strikes a chord in me! Jeez, the kind of raw in your face rebellion that our parents recoiled from and I can imagine the driver being someone my old man would lecture my sister to stay away from. But back then we were drawn to it like moths to a flame. The guy in your high school class who, when suspended for the umpteenth time, did donuts with his harley around the school flagpole as he left while we watched slack jawed in 7th period study hall (RIP Henry). Hell Ryan, that picture is better than the blue pill for some of us septuagenarians (ol' codgers).

27. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

28. Damn I'm torn on this one. I friggin' love it, I would sell body parts to own it or just drive it, but to a lot of people this is just another example of an "extreme" rod, over-chopped and left rusty and rough for shock value.

29. I love that car. The Elmer boys get it. And they drive the shit outta thier suff.

Model 40's forever

bluthndr and GreenMonster48 like this.
  30. Geez, the name alone is enough to make little old ladies and small humans shudder.:D