Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Backup Light Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Those would look good if they fit. There is a brighter back up light bulb with a back up alarm that you could put in those. No holes and you could always return to the stock lights.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a message out to the seller to get the screw hole dimension. I am not worried about cutting. The car is already cut 6-ways-from-Sunday.

3. Not much help during the day, but on my panel trucks I have an off road light underneath.
    reverse light-1.jpg

deathrowdave likes this.
  4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have to agree, the C10 lights look appropriate. And in reference to your people comments, here's what I had to do about the soccer moms yakking on the cell phone while tailgating. Yeah, they can see it! 004.JPG

Hnstray and SanDiegoHighwayman like this.
  5. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

IMG_1052.JPG IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1054.JPG IMG_1058.JPG IMG_1062.JPG IMG_1061.JPG As *some* know, I'm sorta a light AFFICANDO - in that, because of what I DO every day - I believe in the motto -- "SEE and BE SEEN" helps to keep me aLIVE out there -- so, with *that* in mind -- THIS is what I've done to my wife's Toyota to better alert others to her intentions and actions and movements -- ALL HI-power LED!

whatever light design you decide on, DO install HIpowered LED "bulbs" IN it!

It MAKES a DIFFERENCE in bein SEEN!

a GREAT source for these and MORE http://www.strobesnmore.com/ and then -- there's THISun as well :) http://www.superbrightleds.com/ BOTH excellent sources

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    Hotrodmyk likes this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I hate to say it, but a solution to the average persons lack of attention or common sense is going to be tough to adapt to an older car and be attractive. As, the OP pondered, "How can someone not notice a car backing towards them?". In this day and age of people walking around and or driving. while texting or wearing head phones, perhaps the best thing is to have the phone number of a good lawyer in your wallet. I gave up worrying about idiots years ago. If it takes a "life lesson", like being run over, so be it. I'll never change my car or lifestyle to accommodate idiots.

jcmarz likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You sound like someone who has never been sued.

8. slammed

slammed

Gimpy the C10's look like a lock. The price you pay (mind, body & soul) for living in La
    La land goes up all the time.

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Ozzie Foulcans of this vintage had similar to those in above post #25. Down here we weren't smart enough, according to the government, to understand a flashing red brake lamp as being an indicator. They doubled as backup lamps as well. The light was amber not white from memory.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is there something wrong with the FALCON Backup Lights I have listed in the HAMB Classified section? NORS with instructions in the original box. Bob

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, Bob, there isn't. I am just looking for options.

12. Get your hands on one of those air-in -a -can horns, they will just about deafen you, and when you hang it out the window pointing backwards, the look you get from dopey pedestrians is worth the 2 bucks!

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  13. Muttley

Muttley

HAHA, my Comet had the tail lenses with the back-up lights when I bought it............they were promptly chucked into the nearest trashcan in favor of the much cooler looking all red versions.

14. johnale

johnale
    from Melbourne

I just got a set as per my quote for my dad's Aussie xm futura coupe, they are a nice looking back up light that suits the falcon.

I have had two early Aussie falcons an standard xp and an xp fairmont wagon. My standard didn't have back up lights, my fairmont had them but they were not in the taillight, they were an add on and sat below the taillight. The original ones looked like they should be on a trailer, the ones I got the37kid look a whole lot better

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's not a question of being sued. It's a question of how much time, money and labor is a person supposed to spend to accommodate the inattention of others. For example, should trains be wrapped in all sorts of padding and thousands of flashing lights to keep idiots from going around the barriers at RR crossings?

There are an untold amount of videos on Youtube, showing people texting and driving through intersections, into other cars and other objects. Huge lights and loud horns had ZERO effect on the out come. Someone, who's looking down or in a distracting conversation or just not paying attention to their surroundings is going to put themselves in harms way. Period.

These people, who are walking or driving in a tech fueled haze, rarely try to sue and when they do, they lose. The key word in all of this is DISTRACTED. NOT paying attention. That means and implies that NOTHING could be done outside of a train horn or a flashing search light, to keep the idiot out of harms way.

I used to laugh at the saying, "Loud pipes save lives." But, damn it, it's freaking TRUE. I've burped my throttle to get the attention of a bone head drifting into my lane. When I start my car and before I back up, I'll rev my engine to alert the stupid, that something automotive is about to happen.

Finally, if someone is looking DOWN, no light is going to make them look up. Your concern for the safety of others is to be commended, but the people you're looking out for, are doomed to their fate or you're going to need something a hell of a lot bigger than a light on the ass of your car.

By the way, a lot of new cars have HUGE tail lights, idiots STILL bash into them. See what I'm saying? And my sisters a lawyer, so if I do get sued, she or one of her associates will probably handle it pro-bono. As long as I'm not speeding backwards, it's an open and shut case.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Evidence? Sure, why not? Ask yourselves, "How much BIGGER would a back up light have to be, to have kept THIS from happening? 8"x12"? 12"x16"? Maybe the whole ass of the car could be one HUGE light? These pics and there are a LOT, were taken at accidents, where cars were hit by a distracted driver. People walking in a haze have one thing in their favor. A car is usually moving slow, while backing out of a space. How far are you willing to go, to protect people, who don't care to protect themselves?

Darwinism WILL clean the herd.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Distracted Walking: Injuries Soar for Pedestrians on Phones
    Cell Phone Use Not Just Dangerous for Drivers, Study Finds
    COLUMBUS, Ohio – More than 1,500 pedestrians were estimated to be treated in emergency rooms in 2010 for injuries related to using a cell phone while walking, according to a new nationwide study.
    The number of such injuries has more than doubled since 2005, even though the total number of pedestrian injuries dropped during that time. And researchers believe that the actual number of injured pedestrians is actually much higher than these results suggest.
    “If current trends continue, I wouldn’t be surprised if the number of injuries to pedestrians caused by cell phones doubles again between 2010 and 2015,” said Jack Nasar, co-author of the study and professor of city and regional planning at The Ohio State University.
    “The role of cell phones in distracted driving injuries and deaths gets a lot of attention and rightly so, but we need to also consider the danger cell phone use poses to pedestrians.”
    The study found that young people aged 16 to 25 were most likely to be injured as distracted pedestrians, and most were hurt while talking rather than texting.
    Nasar conducted the study with Derek Troyer, a former graduate student at Ohio State. It appears in the August 2013 issue of the journal Accident Analysis and Prevention.

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys struck a chord with me too. Stupid is a pandemic! Is it me or have others noticed how long it takes cars to roll off when the light turns green? Some dipshit is most likely texting and doesn't see the light. Back up lights will help only the few who know they're entitled to NOTHING and take RESPONSIBILITY for their actions. Yet on the bright side (no pun intended!) they do help at night backing up the drive into your space or garage. You couldn't pay me enough to put a back up alarm on my hot rods or DDs, but have considered one for the truck/trailer.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I picked up a NOS back up light kit for my custom 500 on that auction site.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I live that, 5 second green light delay, every day. I used to think it was because I was in a hurry, but it's not me. It's THEM. Ever seen a light turn green and only 2 cars make it through, until it's red again? Yea, high tech zombies.

21. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

22. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

You've hit the nail right ON the head "Fred" --

MOST of the rear end TCs [ Traffic Collisions ] I've seen and witnessed have been *caused* by "distracted drivers

THIS woman didn't EVER put her phone down till commanded to by the CHP officer!

and THIS one -- nearly took ME out!

I'm lookin forward to the day I kin afford to have rear and side cam coverage as the metro busses here in San Diego have -- got a story bout that ;) GOOD story for the driver involved :)

jimmy six likes this.
  23. I had to laugh when I saw the pics above of the rear end collision; Virginia plates with troopers in the background.

Gimpy, around here it's hard to get people to look away from their dopey iphones while they're drivin.
    I worked on police motorcycles for my county for many years and nobody even bothered to pay attention to those while you were ridin' unless you hit them with a whoop from the siren.....

Did you consider 63 tail lamp assemblies with back ups? I measured a spare tail light gasket I had and the OD of the gasket is six inches.....

[​IMG]
    Prolly won't make any difference though....

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm looking at 63's as well, and guys, lets keep this on-topic. I don't want yet another of my threads deleted.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. I have the same delema on my shoebox but i need them when i'm backing down a dark driveway. Was thinking about hiding it under the car.

26. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

the *white* LEDs shown on the underback of my wife's Toyota are inCREDIBLY bright for backin up visibility and they're so small they're hardly noticeable when not "LIT" ;)

27. safetythird

safetythird

@gimpyshotrods did you ever come up with a solution you liked? I'm in the same scenario.

28. Back in the wild '70s and '80s, I had an outside speaker with my CB in my big rig. You could have fun with that in Frisco.

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If you have one of those trucker "chrome shops" near you, they have a wide variety of aux lights to choose from.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 1960 now has 1963 sheet metal, and 1963 tail lights, with backup lights.

I had to replace the mashed in metal anyways, so I moved it up a few years. The surrounding metal is different, adjacent to the tail light.

safetythird likes this.