Register now to get rid of these ads!

64-66 F100 bed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jlincks, Aug 30, 2014.

1. jlincks

jlincks

Found this bed on craigslist and have been told by my grandpa to not go get it because of its visible rust problems but I cannot find another one within 7 hours. Have contacted numerous people and junkyards and no one has any. They all just laugh and say California. Haha I live in southern indiana. My truck is a 63 wrongbed. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409448959.023556.jpg Here's some pictures of the bed. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409448832.915356.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409448855.733393.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409448873.301408.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409448887.234232.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Bugguts

Bugguts

Listen to grandpa! Yikes!! That's ugly rust!

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

4. flyin-t

flyin-t

What he said. You're going to have way more than 14 hrs, 7 each way to the closest bed, in repairs to that thing.

5. FordyNiner

FordyNiner
    from Wisconsin

I would watch CL in Kansas - there seems to be a few parts trucks routinely available there - none look as bad as your pics. Even if the drive is 7+ hours, you'll save months in rust repair.

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Your 63 looks really nice. It has an interesting history due to a major engineering disaster on Fords part with the 61-3 one piece Stylesides. The main problem with the stylesides or unis... The doors "could" unexpectedly open in a heavily loaded truck while under power.
    The concept was abandoned by late 62 and a redesigned bed would not be available until 64. To fill the gap Ford used the earlier Fridge boxes on 63 step sides to offer a style side that would sell and to augment the last of the 63 unis.

These trucks have always been the "red headed step child" of the 61-66 truck series.

So IMHO these "one year" trucks trucks due to their history and unfortunate lowly status have the greatest potential to significantly increase in collector value. Maybe not now but 5 years from now who knows?

Many types of vehicles go through this..." I did not think much of them, then I looked around one day and realized they were all gone."

Simply put, I think you should leave the old bed on it and carry on.

7. FrankCowan

FrankCowan

Did you try posting a want ad on slick60s.com ?

8. luckystiff

luckystiff

if i decide to part out my 62 big window uni one thing i plan to do is cut the "bed" off and build an argentinian clone. i should have jumped at the decent 61 with a step bed a month or so ago but cash was low.

but yeah listen to grandpa.

one thing most miss is lots of old truck beds got made into trailers. search the trailer section of c'list for "truck bed/truck bed trailer" etc. there was a pretty solid 65 bed trailer here not long ago for $400. selling the 9" woulda got a chunk of that back...

9. A Rodder

A Rodder

And, don't forget to search for "trailors" as well......

10. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

That bed looks like new beside the one I will have to fix. The floor is gone and around 4 inches up the sides and front. After 15 years of being parked in a fence row and being full of wood there's not a lot left. After new metal and a wood floor it will look much better.

11. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As stated listen to your grandpa. F-ONE is correct, your truck is a Rightbed, not a Wrongbed. But if you are really bent on changing, come out here to the desert southwest. The money and time you would save on rust repair would pay for the trip.

63FordTruck.jpg

12. The bed on your truck is correct for the year. HRP

13. jlincks

jlincks

Thanks guys. You have persuaded me to leave it for now. Unless I come across one closer and in way better shape I will just wait. Thanks for all the help and info.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. R Pope

R Pope

I'd look for a stepside box. Mid-50's until 1979 are the same box, with minor changes through the years that don't really matter.

15. Rob68

Rob68

Yeah, that bed is toast, don't waste your time and money on it. I agree though, the bed on yours,although right for the year (ford used that bed from 57 to about 64), a 65 or 66 bed is made to compliment your body style. Good luck, you'll find one.