Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. image.jpg image.jpg View attachment 2700505 While we're throwing up pics of bobtailed t-buckets, let's not forget one of our own HAMBer's rides, Showrod's sixties survivor Von-T. I love this car, not just because it belongs to a club brother.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice, but that space between the engine and firewall would drive me nuts.

3. you got room for another 4 cylinders behnd that motor:eek::D:D:D

[​IMG]

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When I was about 10 years old, seeing some "thing" like that ^, would have made my day. Now, I shake my head and walk on. Quickly.

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

6. Alright Mr. Edelbrock air cleaner...what exactly needs done to it?

slammed likes this.
  7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

To begin with, I would shorten up the wide open space between the engine and firewall, ditch the headers and channel it

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know Chip I think I'm opting out until we come back to earth.

9. Okay, I'll add to it - upholstery needs a redo, taller rear tires (even though I like vintage Firestone and Goodyear Indy-style tires, these may be too short to pull off the mid-1960's look).

Steve

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Your welcome, the name just has to do with my interests. Mostly old hot rods but war birds and ships too.

whiplash1923T likes this.
  11. Bam! That one hits you right between the eyes! It's kind of hard to look at...

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, uh, thats a nice shade of green....

13. Thank you for the reply Sir and your name is along the lines I thought but I had maybe thought of you been employed in the Freight Importing exporting Industry.
    Don't be away too long Gary as we will miss you here.
    I realize that this is hobby we are so passionate about it will bring out the opinions that others will strongly disagree with so all I will say is the photo's in post 3541 and 3542 we would all have our own views of the Ugliness that could or should be changed but if the owners are happy with their interpretations of what a T should be and isn't asking, then I will try and refrain from comment.

Okay, I can't help myself....... the word Different springs to mind.....:oops:o_O:eek:;);)

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

It sure look like he build it to hold a portvin blower, and a engine setback. But changed his mind after he mounted the body.

But it's one of those, I dont hate it, I dont love it.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I wonder how many here realize that the VonT is a period-built survivor hot rod. IMO, you just dont go around hacking on stuff like that, you wanna do your own interpretation of what a T bucket should be you start from scratch. There is one thing that needs changing, it needs the $portmags back.$$$$$

16. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Engine angle looks like the funky Ford FE tilt - this manifold shot illustrates it pretty well, to get the carbs level the engine is higher at the front. Being in an open car probably accentuates the look. I'm sure no FE expert, wonder why Ford built them like this, I'd like George to comment, there must be a reason JR3.jpg

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

IIRC, only the Galaxy tri-powers are angled, think the T-bird tri-power intake was flat. Take a good look, he has mounted the engine at an angle to compensate so the carbs are level. Really looks screwy, IMO. Shoulda used the T-bird intake. Just an idle thought here, Jay Brown tested a Galaxy tri-power intake for his book, kind of a lackluster performer. Wonder if the T-Bird intake would have done better???

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just realized, I didnt directly answer your question. In Galaxies, the engine sits nose high by a substantial amount, the Galaxy intakes have the carb pads angled like that so the carbs sit level. The factory 2x4 intakes are the same.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  19. Pink you say?

scan0001.jpg scan0002.jpg scan0003.jpg

Built by Dave Hill and painted AZ iconic painter, Corky

This was just as my old man was buying it in I think 85-86.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear with my posts, I am not suggesting changing a period-built car.....I meant that I would not build a car like that particular one.....................one of the neatest things about rodding is the many various ways we choose to build our own cars and I can appreciated many cars that aren't the way I would choose to do them. There are many cars done in ways I would have never thought of, that turn out to be very good and make me rethink my choices. Now I will return to lurking and learning.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe this will calm things down a bit. Back when I first planned out my build, I researched the "look" I was going for. I didn't want to clone anyone else's work, but I wanted something to shoot for. Unfortunately, my enthusiasm and budget, pushed me to the ugly side. Pics of my first version have been posted before.:eek: But I have always kept this pic as a model for a simple, clean, T Bucket.

[​IMG]

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Is it just me, or is this thread starting to feel less and less like "shop night at Chips" and more and more like the Hamb at large?? Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

24. madmike8

madmike8
    from Tennessee

I think when Chip starts updating his build progress it will jump back in line..

The silence does weird things to people...

25. Just because it is an old bit of "Art " it doesn't mean it is right. Each to there own I say but as I have done many a time, I have walked right past a multi dollar splash of paint hanging on a wall in a Art Studio to gaze out the window. You have to admit some of those early " Cars " were and still are rubbish and I personally would put that Von T in the scrap bin to be used for parts only.
    Now you guys can crucify me you want now but this is just my opinion.

slammed likes this.
  26. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Scrap bin might be a little harsh. Other than body placement, the original incarnation is pretty damn slick if you ask me. As far as the recent pic, newer "D" spokes and the tube axle/disc brakes I suspect may be a recent addition do detract from it's charm though.
    [​IMG]

27. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, and sorry if I contributed to pulling it off track. Time for Chip to step in with his horn and put it back in the groove.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've been to shop nights and seen things get "heated". It happens, when passion and opinions mix. Storming out or running away, won't change opinions or passions, but at the end of the evening, you'll know where people stand on a topic or modification.

Gotta take the negative with the positive.

volvobrynk and whiplash1923T like this.
  29. Thats the thing all of us wouldn't be here if we wern't passionate about this crazy hobby/lifestyle of ours and like everything in life it has its ups and downs, so chill out, grab another beer and change the subject. What Chip been doing he's too quiet....:p

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay you knuckleheads! I step away for a day or two and chaos breaks out! :D

Good stuff will be happening soon, I promise. I just have to get through the next three days or so and the work load will look a little less over whelming. I have a temporary second form of transpo for the next few weeks which will allow me to do stuff like put the 'Bucket's finned aluminum drums on along with the drilled backing plates that have sat in living room for a month or so now. I'm thinking the rear end might come out and get cleaned and painted, and I'm strongly considering changing the front axle out to a '37-'41 that I have around the house here. I'll also finally get the front pan welded to the grill shell and that area's wiring and such tidied up. So ya, soon things will be happening again.

The last couple of days I have been a helping friend/client Roy with his '65 Chevy truck. The oil pump decided it no longer wanted to fight fair, and he had no one else around to get it together for him. I don't normally do mechanic type stuff, so it was different laying under something again with dirt and crud falling in my face! Ahhh, the bad old days! I even managed to put the pointy end of a downturned exhaust clamp through my lower lip/chin, so I now know what it feels like to be a fish on a hook! After it happened on Friday I sat and drank a bit 'cause it hurt like hell, and after a while, miraculously, it didn't hurt as much so I figured out I could inflate my lower lip up and it would leak through the extra hole! Having wounds can fun in the right frame of mind!

So ya, more stuff will be up soon. Just don't go wild and burn the place down in the mean time, okay? I'm out for a bit, gonna go meet H.A.M.B.er Crafts Customs and have some dinner. Back in a bit.