Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Replacement axle quality. Forged or Cast

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FlyingTB, Aug 25, 2014.

1. FlyingTB

FlyingTB

I have a '33 Plymouth that was completed 30 years ago. I put in a used Ford dropped I-Beam with Four Bar front suspension. That axle was dropped 5" and stretched to 50" by Mor-Drop Axle Company. It served me well over the years.
    A few weeks ago traveling 60+MPH I ran into a drive shaft that fell out from under a truck in front of me on the highway. That impact bent my axle back about 4" to 5". I want to replace the axle with one that's 48" and a 4" drop. I've read a number of older posts on here about poor quality, possibly off shore cast iron axles breaking. I'm very afraid that if I had one of those under my car the results would have been a lot worse. I know this has been asked and answered several times but all those posts are quite old. Things change and I'd like to know more about the current availability. How do I make sure I'm getting a forged, made in USA, axle?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. racemad55

racemad55

Find someone with a press that will straighten your bent one.

3. FlyingTB

FlyingTB

I want to put in a narrower axle with less drop to get it off the ground a little. I figure now is a good time to do that.

4. racemad55

racemad55

Chassis engineering.

FlyingTB likes this.

5. xix32

xix32

Cast axle? try to find the January 2014 issue of Street Rodder, go to page 70 lower left, look at the photo of a broken cast axle from a relatively minor collision.
    Chassis Engineering in Iowa used to make the only U.S.A. made forged dropped axle, there may be others now, but not sure where they come from.

FlyingTB likes this.
  6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chassis Engineering, hands down !

FlyingTB likes this.
  7. hayu

hayu

As they said chassis engineering. So Cal now makes a forged axel also.

FlyingTB likes this.
  8. Had one of those "Magnum" axles that were in question. Now a wall hanger in the garage. Replaced it with the Chassis Engineering axle. I believe the So-Cal axle is forged, but done so offshore, the Chassis Engineering axle is USA - Forged. I've heard they have them forged by John Deere, can't confirm that though. Nothing wrong with an original "Henry" several good options on guys that will drop them.

FlyingTB likes this.
  9. Check with Okie Joe or Sid (Oklahoma)to get one dropped.Always axels in the for sale section here, Fordbarn and local swap meets.

FlyingTB likes this.
  10. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Absolutely Chassis Engineering forged axle or original Henry Ford forged axle. Made right in the good old USA!! Hold up either one of these axles and give it a light tap with a hammer. These axles will ring. That ring is the sound of quality. Don't even look at the cast axles. In my opinion they are nothing but crap.

11. FlyingTB

FlyingTB

Well, I decided to buy the axle from Chassis Engineering. I contacted them today and asked for 48" Kingpin centers axle with 36-1/2" between spring perch hole centers. They said they can provide a 47-1/2" axle with 36-1/2" but it would come from So-Cal. I checked them out and they also have forged axles but not for this size. Their 48" axles are Super Bell from Pete and Jakes and are Cast Iron. It seems that everywhere I turn there is nothing but cast iron axles available.

12. I wouldn't worry about a 1/2 " and I prefer a forged axle,,I have Chassis Engineering axle under both my Deuces. HRP

saltflats likes this.
  13. FlyingTB

FlyingTB

I can work with the kingpin centers bring anywhere between 46" and 48". It's the spring perch hole center that's causing an issue. It seems the choices are 34-1/2" or 36-1/2". I need the 36-1/2" otherwise the bat wings end up right against the frame.

I can't find anyone supplying forged axles with 36 to 36-1/2" between perch hooked. That includes So-Cal and Chassis Engineering. The gal at Chassis Engineering said it takes two years to get an order for forged axles filled.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think cast axles are cast steel not cast iron and are considerably stronger than cast iron.. I wonder how many cast steel axles are still in use without any problems...

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just get that on straightened.

This is a Model A axle. You didn't hurt it:
    [​IMG]

Hitchhiker and saltflats like this.
  16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'd get a gennie axle and have Sid magnaflux it and drop it to your specs. He's the real deal.

17. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

After looking at that pic an original axle is the only way to go..

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  18. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

The tour guide pointed out an axle like that hanging on the wall at Speedy Bill's museum in '08. Might have been that exact same one, IIRC he said Henry had it done to demonstrate how though they were. Impressed me enough That I'd follow the advice of others and get an original done to your specs by someone reputable if I were in your situation.

Ed

19. flthd31

flthd31

Magnum does make a tube axle with the exact dimensions you need. Axles are made with 1018 forged steel ends with 2"x.250" wall 1018 seamless tubing. The ends are welded into the tube.
    I had one of these years ago in a '47 coupe with the wishbone still intact...nice beefy axle. These are best used on cars with original wishbones because there is no axle twist during suspension travel.
    Forged I-beam would be best but it should work fine in under your Plymouth with 4 link suspension.
    Here's a link to their product list:
    http://magnumaxle.net/MagnumAxelCatalogWeb.pdf

And don't toss that bent axle, it can be straightened perfectly quite easily with no heat or impact...just needs a large press and some experience.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  20. FlyingTB

FlyingTB

That Magnum axle looks interesting. I had ruled out the tube in favor of the I-Beam because of the twist, or lack of, factor but that I can't find a forged I-Beam the tube is looking better.

21. FlyingTB

FlyingTB

I sent him an email. I see he sells SuperBell axles, which are cast. I'm curious what he'll have to say.

22. FlyingTB

FlyingTB

I talked to Sid. Yes he is the real deal. He'll tell you that he doesn't drop the '28 to '36 Ford car axles. He referred me to Joe at Joe's Speed Shop. After talking to him I found my solution. An original Henry Ford axle dropped the way I want it. He does it all the right way. These guys are getting harder and harder to find but they're out there. I guess there's just not enough of us left that want that old style Hot Rod. IFS has taken over. Everyone says you have to do that if you want a good ride and handling. I think if that's what I wanted I'd go to a new car dealer. Just my opinion.

23. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

IFS and hot rod don't belong in the same sentence. ..I was pretty sure Sid didn't drop early ford axles..just didn't want to give out wrong info...been there done that..

24. 2935ford

2935ford

I sent Okie Joe two of my axles.....a '32 and a '34.....had them both dropped 4"......he does very nice work.

25. Whats the going rate to get a ford stocker dropped nowadays?

26. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

Okie joe charges $200..core charge between $50-$75..32' heavy is $400.. I have a model a & 34' axle I want him to drop...thats a great price IMO..if I recall correctly 296v8 was charging $300..

27. FlyingTB

FlyingTB

Thanks! I called Sid and hooked up with Joe. Both sound like they know the right way of doing things.