Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Customs by the Sea - Calling all CUSTOMS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SuperFleye, Aug 14, 2014.

1. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

Kustomrama is coming abroad! When the organizers of the Race of Gentlemen asked us if we wanted to help them organize a REAL custom car show on the boardwalk in Wildwood during the weekend of their race, we didn't need a lot of time to consider the offer. A couple of hours later "Customs by the Sea" was born. Our mission is to turn the boardwalk, located at the end of Rio Grande Blvd into a celebration of the traditional custom car. Right now we are working on a special exhibit consisting of about 8-12 historic custom cars. We are turning all stones locating cars, so if you know about a historic custom car that should be in the show, please tell the owner or share your information here! The special exhibit will be surrounded by top notch traditional custom cars from all decades, 1930s - 2010s. This will be the centre attraction of the show, and we're gonna be really picky about who will get a spot here. But as we want it to be an including show for all custom enthusiasts, we have also reserved an area for cars that doesn't quite fit our traditional definition, or who are running modern equipment such as radial tires. I hope you all understand this!

The show is held October 3-5, 20014. We have a limited number of spaces for the show, so if you want to secure a spot you better pre-register your vehicle today! There is no admission, Customs by the Sea is a free show. You have to buy tickets in order to watch the race of Gentlemen though! For more info, and to pre-register, please visit our website www.customsbythesea.com

In this thread we will present some of the pre-registered cars. We will also use it actively to locate and hunt for cars we would like to see at the show.

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

BTT, sounds like fun, Wildwood is a great resort town. Nice motels and restaurants! Sending in my registration!

SuperFleye likes this.
  3. williebill

williebill

Dang, that sounds good. 1400 mile round trip, hmmm...

SuperFleye likes this.
  4. I'm itchin' to get the the Race of Gentlemen, now you throw this in the mix? 500 miles each way, hmmmm...

SuperFleye likes this.

5. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Excellent!! What car are you bringing? We can absolute reserve a spot for the Kopper Kart clone in the special exhibit ;)

6. 'Mo

'Mo

I just found this thread. It's too bad there is not an "Events" category in the Customs section.
    Were you able to reach Roddy Moore?

7. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

The last couple of weeks we have been hunting high and low looking for historic custom cars for a special exhibition at the Customs by the Sea car show. We have some nice cars in the works, but we want more, and in order to achieve this we need your help! The East Coast, and surrounding areas were filled with great customs, ranging from mild to wild - beautiful to ugly! What happened to them? Where are they now? Salt, snow and rain can't have taken them all? The photo above shows the end of the street Rio Grande where the exhibition will take place! A pretty neat backdrop or what?

We will run a series of wanted posters here the coming weeks. If you know the whereabouts of any of this cars? Please get in touch with us. Feel free to share the posts as well so we can get the word out to the right crowds.

[​IMG]

First car out is Tom Piantkoski's 1948 Mercury of New Jersey! A really sharp looking East Coast custom. Once completed it landed the cover of Rodding and Re-Styling September 1955. 5 years later it appeared on the cover of Custom Cars March 1960. By then it had been sold to Barry Hallowell of Balto, Maryland. Where did it go after that? Where is it now? More info on Tom's Merc can be found here : http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Tom_Piantkoski's_1948_Mercury

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  8. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Not yet, but we're on the case Mo! Thanks for the tip buddy :)

9. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

10. Wow, This adds a whole new dimension to the Race of Gentlemen event. Good luck with the effort. I can see this entire event growing more and more going forward.

11. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

We have a lead on the Dwingelo Thunderbird!!! Now what about this iconic East Coast custom? I know that James Karcher's 1950 Ford is still around, and last I heard was that it was owned by Ray Soff. The Connecticut Yankee is one of my favorite East Coast custom shoeboxes, and it would have been great to have it as part of our special exhibit!

[​IMG]

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Still owned by Ray. Slim Pickens (Rich) should get a hold of him!

13. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

We just found out that Ray unfortunately will be out of town when the show goes down :(

14. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

The Bolzano Ford is an old Rhode Island survivor we would love to have at the show. Rumor has it that it was sold Nova Scotia, Canada in July!

15. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Nuts! Will not be available, and my avatar is a dead ringer for the show logo and was built by Fred Cain in greater Boston in 1948.

16. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Do you own the Fred Cain Ford now? I saw it in Austin, Texas at the Lonestar Roundup, and it instantly become a favorite :) Please don't tell me that you have it nearby and that you aren't able to come to the show...that would ruin this nights sleep!

17. 'Mo

'Mo

I for one am stoked. I'll be passing over TRJ show this year, for this event.
    It seems Jersey was once crawling with customs. I hope you uncover a lode!
    I think HAMB'er chopolds knows the whereabouts of the Fabian Continental. It would be GREAT to see that one, in any condition!
    Can you start a thread in the "Traditional Customs" section? There may be somebody there who hasn't seen this thread. (You never know.)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  18. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

'Mo, wow, no you sure put pressure on me dropping the TRJ show for TROG/CBTS! I look forward to meet you there though!

Yes, the Fabian Continental would be great to have in the centre exhibit!! Thanks for the tip! Not sure if I can start a thread in the Traditional Customs section as they allow no events in there. Maybe a Calling All Customs thread were people help us suggest and find old customs would be suitable?

19. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

I have made contact with the owner of the Balzano Ford! Let's hope we can convince here to come down for the weekend!

But the hunt must go on...now who can help us get a hold of the Oriental or it's owner? The Oriental is a 1957 Oldsmobile restyled by Herb Gary of Gary's Auto for Russel Grady of Stamford, Connecticut in the late 1950s and early 1960s. In 2010 I heard that it was owned by Russ' cousin, George Russell, of Massachusetts, and that it was being restored back to how it appeared in 1962 by Jim Torok! Did they complete the restoration? Can it be brought to Customs by the Sea in October? It would be great to have at least one Herb Gary custom present! Is there any other Herb Gary customs around we should try to get as well?

[​IMG]

More info on the Oriental can be found here: http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Russ_Grady's_1957_Oldsmobile

20. Looking to book a hotel. What is the address for the show?

21. Try the La Voyageur Hotel...I booked 2 days ago and they had vacancies. It's a block and a half from the StarLux (host hotel) and a half-mile or so from the starting line. Really not a bad walk to the beach, and right in the middle of the action after hours.

22. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks to Goldenrocket371 on Instagram we now have recent photos of the Oriental, showing it as it sat in October of 2013. Rumor has it that the restoration is done now!

[​IMG]

straykatkustoms likes this.
  23. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks brett4christ..as I have actually never been in Wildwood before, I'm not so good known..haha! Booking.com is also a good resource! The Custom Car show is held at the end of Rio Grande Ave, close to: 306 E Rio Grande Ave, Wildwood, NJ 08260, USA

24. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

There is a handful of old customizers we would love to see represented at Kustomrama's special exhibit at the Race of Gentlemen. We have the Barris Brothers covered, but feel that the show wouldn't be complete without at least one of Korky's creations? Can anyone help us locate one of Korky's old creations? Like this one, Art Guglielmi's 1955 Ford, that Korky restyled in 1958! We know the Parisienne is stranded in Arizona, so I guess that one is off the list for this year!

25. 'Mo

'Mo

HAMB'er 00 MACK is very knowledgeable about East Coast custom history, but I haven't seen him post in a while.
    Perhaps you could contact him about the whereabouts of some cars.

26. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Anthony is a great resource when it comes to East Coast customs...I'm trying to convince him to display his Maratta custom at the show! A Maratta custom present would be top notch!!

27. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

There are a lot of the old customs hiding out in garages in the TriState area, and beyond. Unfortunately, if they haven't been seen in years, the owners do not want them seen! It's tough convincing the older guys to bring them out, if they lost interest in them so many years ago, but won't sell them. Many have tried!

28. My father's uncle, Morris Carter, bought this car from a show in Washington DC at the National Guard Armory. Not sure about the year but somewhere around 1960. I imagine it was from the Barry Hallowell gentleman as Dad thinks the guy was from the Baltimore area. Morris raised the car up slightly because it was too low to drive easily and drove it quite a bit. Dad thinks he put an Olds J-2 engine in it at some point. The last time Dad remembers seeing it was 1961 or 1962. Shortly there after, sadly, it was burned in a garage fire in Charlottesville, VA and sent to a junk yard somewhere in VA. We imagine it's been long gone. Dad has really fond memories of the car and said it was beautiful in person. Lots of chrome. Spotless white interior and carson top. I've often thought it would be cool to recreate the car.

29. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the info k5hart! So I guess we can consider this lost then! That's really sad, such a great custom! Can I update the story of the car wit your info? And do you have any photos from when your dad's uncle owned it that I can add? That would have been great!

30. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

I have experienced that the last few weeks, but we'll keep on trying!! Thanks to everyone that has helped us so far :)