Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Compulsion Rod & Custom 51 GMC shop truck project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Mar 30, 2014.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Trent, Cool project. Hope you can get a Dakota install kit from ElP for the front suspension. I had a '48 F1 that I wanted to use a Dakota suspension on and I caught Elpolacko right in the middle of a business shuffle and his F1 kits were out of production. I refused to use anything else after reading the reviews of his conversion so tried to wait him out and get his product. After 3 years and my wife bugging me to get it on the road (she wanted it to use for her gardening and flower bed projects) I sold it to a friend. It's now on the road with a MII front, 9 in. rear 400 SBC and a 400TH and my wife is pissed.:( I've still got the Dakota front clip hoping a new project is on the horizon. Maybe you can use that r&p steering I sent you on the pickup.:roll eyes:

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Frank, that rack is still going into the lakester. The GMC will be the hauler for it! Steve does not have the cad plans anymore for the Dakota stuff. Anything he does is starting from scratch. I am weighing my options but we have a good game plan brewing.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Just read about the 270 thats available to you. Think long and hard about that one. My grandfather had a GMC with a 270 and that sucker had enough torque to rotate the earth. It was equipped with a 4sp granny trans and the combination would move ANYTHING that was hooked to it. You could us a 2.00 series rear ratio and get some decent milage to boot.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Frank, that 270 is tempting but when you add up fuel and the cost of the engine it equals a pretty good start on a rebuild here. I am also looking into another W motor. A pal has plenty of 348 stock, I plan on meeting him this week to look over his stash. More cubes and a good looking engine. I also already have some 348 goodies. So, I am still up in the air.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Trust me, if he is going to make a up a cross member for you, it'll be perfect. You should see his original "jigs" for the Dakota that are still leaning against the wall at my place for the last twenty years... Dude had it covered even back then!

And yes, the Dakota is everything you have heard it to be as far ride and handling. He came up with the idea when we stole his dads brand new Dakota 21 years ago about right now for a quick search and recover mission to Needles, CA. to grab the front clip off of a '46 four door sedan that was rolled on it's side just off the freeway. We had been hard at work putting yet another Volare clip under a '55 F100, and knew there had to be a better way. Damned if he didn't pull it off, and do it extremely well!

Tman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Very cool man! I love flat beds as well. Put some wood stakes and wood sides on it, then slap on a little lettering to advertise your shop- bam, bitchin' work truck.

That dakota front end is nice with the master cylinder mounted directly to the upper A arm... ha ha ha...

Tman likes this.
  7. Hmmm

Special option Mac! Sorry I have not got back to you. Busy starting a new day job!

8. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

T-Man,
    Steve is doing the second generation of Dakota. My 48 F1 is the very last of the first gen. He has the Dakota cross member parts drawn up on his computer and the computer controlled plasma cutter zips out the parts for the jigs in nothing flat. Check out his web site.

Phil

9. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

T-man,
    Forgot to mention that there are upgrades to the Dakota brakes using stock Dodge D150 rotors and calipers. That way you can have more brakes and 5 on 5.5 inch bolt pattern.

10. Good to know. Thanks.

I see Mr one star dipshit has visited this thread.

Nothing photo worthy from this weekend, getting the mouse crap cleaned out of inside. I came up with a good plan on using parts of the stock seat frames and modern padding and decided if my tank was good I may just stick with the stock tank in the cab. Will shoot some photos when I am working on the seat.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  11. Been hard at work with family, house and the new day job. But the good news is ElPolacko is going back into production with a Dakota crossmember setup for these trucks! I hope he has them ready by the time I need one ;)

This week, I got back on it. Following Rocky and Anderson I bought a cheapie Ebay Mustang T5 shifter. With some work you can make it fit the GM tranny. So, 15 minutes on my pal randys mill and I had the first step. The Mustang shifter is too long, I thought about welding up the recessed area but we decided there was enough meat to mill it flat

[​IMG]

I then cut the back end off after scribing it to the tranny. Then I drilled the new rear holes. The fronts need some gentle hogging out with a rat tail and it fits like is meant for this tranny. $50 vs. the $150 for the Camaro versions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Special thanks to Rocky and Poverty Flats. Tranny came from Rock and PF hauled it to BTT50s for me a few summers back. And also to Anderson for the inspiration to modify the shifter!

Tools used, a borrowed mill, transfer punches, 1/2" hand drill, 80 grit sanding wheel, worn out bandsaw (hacksaw or cutoff wheel would work) and a couple hand files.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  12. Yes, working on the new design today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Awesome Steve! You rock!

14. Steve, any idea where ride height will be with this crossmember?

15. Similar to the Dynacorn truck

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Thanks, that sits nice!

17. I know that bucks the trend of flat on the floor mini-trucker style that is highly popular right now, but not everyone wants that. I feel my Dakota IFS is better suited to the guy wanting a bit more utility out of his/her truck.

Tman and T Hudson like this.
  18. And that is perfect for me since this will be a daily driver work truck! This thing needs to haul, tow and run gravel roads.

19. belair

belair

Wow - got some serious talent at work here. Looking forward to this one. Also, I am fascinated by straw bale construction.

20. Trent,
    We used mopar mini van seats in our AD Chevy truck. They fit pretty well, have room for a spacious console if you like, and the passenger seat has a small drawerto stash your secret goodies.

21. Thanks Ken but I still need room for Carla and LilT. I have devised a way to use parts of the stock seat frames and make them work like a modern bench. I will post shots when I get that far!

22. You talking about me??????? If so, thanks! Ask away about the Strawbale, most of my threads go on a tangent about it anyway!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  23. I was thinking that as I typed the reply, but still thought I would give you a heads up on the option.

24. And it is GREAT info for anyone that spies this thread! I hope summer is well for you guys. Things are great up here but the fleet I run is so busy that I have been missing a ton here online!

25. Ok, it is in the shop. I got my Dakota crossmember yesterday from Steve. Since this truck is going to use some modern non HAMB specific parts like the IFS and LS I will not go into detail here. But instead will focus on the general aspects. The 7 year old got the garnish moldings out and I will stuff him in the wheelwell to pull the front clip. On my Friday off we moved the truck into the shop and I got the rotten bed wood out.

26. Learning this phone app. You can see the Farmer Brown flatbed. Mostly built well, with well casing. I will keep a bunch of the structure, they realy cobbed the bumper/hitch on tho with 1/2" plate.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, not only be looking for Steve Gutman's finger prints on that cross member, mine are there too!

28. I hope that's the only residue!

29. Nice to see you got the new crossmember. I need to start putting some time on my 52 GMC project. I put Jag IFS and IRS out of the same donor car into my GMC. It was a pretty easy swap. Mine has the same surface rust, but due to 60 years of NM sun exposure outside rather than being stripped. I did the easy 350 SBC/700R4 drivetrain. I think your LS choice will be good for a driver since that original SBC was messed up.