Register now to get rid of these ads!

North Bay Area Earthquake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Devin, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

First of all, I hope everyone in the area is alright. We had quite a shake at 3:20 this morning with a 6.1 magnitude quake. The epicenter was 4 miles from my house. Most of the damage at my house was broken glass plates a busted TV. I tried to open the garage door but couldn't because the power was out and my welding cart rolled in front of the door to block it. My biggest concern was that I could smell acetone and feared that when the power was restored, a spark could ignite the vapors. The power was just turned on and this is what I saw. Close call for my rod! All appears to be ok. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408893026.007993.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408893053.407777.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408893077.374273.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408893094.508174.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408893119.824642.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Mother nature has some serious power. Glad you are alright. Damage can be fixed.
    Later,
    Dick

3. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Check out the tool chest that fell on the can of acetone which fell off the work bench! My radiator got sandwiched between the tire and my spare engine which rolled forward. The radiator seems to be ok! Compared to other natural disasters, thus one wasn't too severe. Just hope everyone is ok.

4. Yikes! Glad nobody hurt. And looks like a close call for you car!

5. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Glad to your ok hope all is well else where

6. seatex

seatex

Damn, man, that is some kinda scary! Might be a great time to formulate some loss/damage mitigation protocols for your shop..............Glad you and yours are okay!

7. I guess the mosquitoes and sub-zero temps aren't so bad! Hope everyone is OK......

8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

WOW glad you are OK. It is amazing that with all that movement there was no major damage. Scary!

9. Hellbentrodder

Hellbentrodder
    from Cotati

Definately felt it here in Cotati but nothing fell and no damage. Glad it was not worse for you. The news said the ground moved horizontally 2 feet per second!

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

woke me up down here in Fremont. I figured if I started hearing sirens I would get up and see what was going on.

11. highboy

highboy
    from marin

Wow....looks like your garage is as packed as mine!!!! I'm going out to inspect for more messiness now...

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Pretty shaky in San Mateo. I didn't have anything fall. '89 was a whole different deal down here.

gyronaut likes this.
  13. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Hahaa. The good thing about having a super packed garage is there's little room for anything to fall.

14. 2935ford

2935ford

I know of what he speaks....I was in the 6.9 Cal earthquake in the 70's that took out the wing of the VA Hospital.
    Like a freight train and the after shocks just as scary.

Good to see you all are Ok.
    You must be pretty close to one of those major fault lines.

15. randy

randy

Close call is right! All my vehicles faired well, but my house looked like someone threw a frat party.

16. Glad to hear that you were relatively unscathed,,a TV can easily be replaced,,a hot rod ,not so easy. HRP

17. good nothing major.....

18. toml24

toml24

I can tell you from personal experience in So-Cal, waking up to total blackness and hearing the sound effects of items being slammed around in a major earthquake is not something I would wish on anyone. Glad everyone is OK.

19. Slept right through it here in Mountain View. '89 was pretty scary though. Glad you didn't get any serious damage.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife says that is was really shaky here on the North side of San Francisco.

I wouldn't know. I didn't even wake up.

21. JEM

JEM

Down here on the mid-Peninsula everyone felt it but there was no damage.
    Awakened from a sound sleep by the dogs leaping over me to get off the bed, my first thought was wondering whether it was an earthquake or just the dogs shaking things up.

22. slammed

slammed

23. thank god my Ukiah folks didn't feel anything....