Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint Advise - Transition from Exterior to Interior colors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatblack13, Aug 23, 2014.

1. flatblack13

flatblack13
    from Austin, TX

I'm a novice painter. I've painted a number of race motorcycles, and flaked the roof and dash of an old truck of mine. I'm about to pick up a new toy on Monday. All the work is done. I feel guilty buying it without putting in the real work myself. However, it's a long bed F100 with a flat white exterior and interior...It looks like a refrigerator on wheels.

I like the white interior, but need to do something with the exterior. I was thinking of going with a satin black exterior (with scallops, shaved handles and put louvers in the hood). However, I'm not sure how to handle the transition in the door jamb area from the black exterior color to the white interior. I'm afraid I'll either end up with a weird thin black line framing the door where you can see just inside the curve of the door edge by the door jamb, or I'll have a weird white frame visible around the inside edge of the door jamb that's visible when the door is open...Maybe it won't look as bad as I imagine. I've had no luck looking up pictures or a description of how this is handled.

Second question maybe I'll just do scallops and some red metal flake on the already black roof to break up all that plain white. I did some very rough photoshop (I've never really used photoshop before) mock ups of the truck both ways and it doesn't look too bad if I keep the primary exterior color white and it would be a lot easier. I'll attach before and after pics and look for opinions. You can tell I got a little better with photoshop as I went along, but you still get an idea of what I was going for on the first draft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I kinda like the bottom one.

3. papajohn

papajohn

You should panel paint it right over the white and black with some candy/flake panels.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Like this? This is typical of how they were done by the factory. It's how I did my Chevys from that era.

[​IMG]

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Door jambs and door frames should be same color as body paint. The transition to interior (color) should start at the interior/windlacing otherwise when you open the door it will look like the truck was repainted, but someone was too lazy to do the jambs (like the one Squirrel pictured; at first glance, I'm thinking truck was white, then was repainted black w/o being jambed).

IMHO opinion, I'd go gloss black on the exterior and leave the interior as is, but paint the dash and door panel metal gloss black. Your "white interior" looks to have black seat upholstery?).

Whatever you decide, I believe you need to chrome your grille. The front end has a mix of chrome and monochrome. The blacked out grille gets lost in there and clashes with that great looking chrome bumper, hood lettering and turn signals.
    Wheels/tires look great.

6. 1pickup

1pickup

agree with HRTH above. plus, they are all black these days. a white car/truck is like a blank canvas to a creative mind. leave it white & do your scallops or whatever over the top. the bottom pic is way better than the black one

7. squirrel

squirrel

Depends on the truck. Up thru 59, Chevy trucks were painted at the factory like the picture above, and it looks right for these trucks.. The weatherstrip was on the door. Starting in 1960, the weatherstrip was on the jamb, and the jambs were body color. The trucks were built quite differently starting that year.

Most guys paint the inside and outside the same color, it's easier.

8. missysdad1

missysdad1

X2 on the door jambs being the same color as the exterior, with the interior color starting at the windlace. Two-tones follow the same general rule.

It's not uncommon to see dealer-applied (or even some factory-applied) two-tone paint schemes with the second color not carried through the jambs, but this has always looked kinda half-fast to me.

In my most humble opinion, trendy gee-gaws like scallops, flames and flaked panels don't really help the appearance of the vehicle, and usually grow very dated very quickly...even more so when they are not well done.

9. flatblack13

flatblack13
    from Austin, TX

Thanks much for the help. The difference in the way they painted them starting in 1960 helps clear up some confusion. I think I have a better idea of which way to go now if I switch to black. I don't know if it's just a much better Photoshop job or the actual paint scheme is better, but I agree with Ipickup that at least in the rendering, the white is looking better than the black and there are way too many black vehicles out there these days anyway.

Once I have it in the garage, I'll be able to work our some more details and I'll make a better Photoshop version of the black for a fair comparison.

Yes, the seats and carpet are black and all the metal inside is white. I'll do something with that dash, maybe black like you said, maybe flake, not sure yet. You're definitely right about that grill too, HRTH. I'm thinking of making a custom one, maybe something with bullets or teeth and then having it chromed.

10. squirrel

squirrel

That's how to do it on anything that has windlace. Trucks from the late 50s generally don't have windlace. Just weatherstrip near the outer edge of the door.

11. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

Go with the same accent colors as the interior to tie everything together.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

For a complete color change you should paint the door jams. You don't have to but it looks cheap and tacky if you don't.
    2 toning is a different matter, and depends where the additional color goes.

13. Jibs

Jibs

I would leave it like it is, just saying.