Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hill & Davis 'City of Burbank' Streamliner

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Hill & Davis 'City of Burbank' Streamliner

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Dean Lowe likes this.
  2. seatex

seatex

Verrrrrry cool, JB. Thank's for the link!

3. Muttley

Muttley

Here's an old Isky Cams flyer featuring the car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

"Built in their own shop for under $3,000" WOW!!!

5. flamingokid

flamingokid

Pretty amazing by any eras standards.

6. @Jive-Bomber Jay - The Dec. '52 issue of HOP UP is one of my favorites in my collection of little books ... but over the years has become quite fragile (pages are brittle)... so thanks for sharing these scans!

@Muttley - Thanks for posting the ISKY CAMS flyer! ... Way cool!

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I am very honored to have Willie Davis as my neighbor and Dave Thomas ( chassis builder) as well as I Fab ( the body builders with the Brian Mc Cutcheon crew as friends. Job well done guys , even prouder to have built the ignition....................

8. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks for posting this story, lots of history here. I understand the car was destroyed, but wonder if the overhead cam engine survived and, if it did, what happened to it?

9. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Yes the engine is in the Speedway motors museum . Its a overhead valve conversion i believe rated at 320 plus hp on the flathead block...

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I had no idea Willie Davis was involved in Bonneville! I always think of the City of Syracuse sprinter when I hear the name. That's some cool stuff Bubba!

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I enjoyed this read. I had the foresight to invest in the Isky advertising piece prior to getting a chance to meet the man personally in 2012 at the Indy Hot Rod & Restoration Show.

Ed thought I was crazy to ask him to sign the piece, but he also seemed to enjoy studying it and talking about the era. He was genuinely pleased that I wanted to talk and he carefully wrote, "To racer Bob" before signing his name.

An awesome guy standing in line behind me offered to use my camera to take the shot while Ed was still talking!

This piece was stamped with the speed shop name in the corner, California Speed & Sport Shop. Ed was trying to remember what shop this was. Anyone know anything about them?

Are you kidding me? That was a great day!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  12. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

When I was with Go Power, we shipped kart parts to a Calif Speed & Sport in New Brunswick, New Jersey.

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Joe Barzda owned California Speed & Sport. He was among the first to put a small block Chevy in a sprint car.

14. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

The car was destroyd?! I'm pretty sure I saw it in June at the Peterson Museum in Los Angeles. Perhaps it was a recreation.

15. The original car was destroyed in 1955, a new clone was built complete with all current SCTA safety equipment and was run at Speed Week in 2013..that's probably the one you saw.

Bill

16. If you go back and read the Original Blog Post, you'll see that at the very end, @Jive-Bomber included a link ("it?") to a thread about the recreated 'liner (see 1952 Burbank Streamliner).

... and yes, the cloned "CITY OF BURBANK" streamliner debuted at Bonneville Speed Week 2013:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  17. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

CALIFORNIA SPEED SPORT speed shop nj. in 1974 i looked through an old 1957 hot rod mag and sent letters to all the speed shops to buy old flat head barts if they were still in business.from cal spd spt i bought 7 sets of zypher gears 3/25t, 4/26t for the 50's price of $69.50 per set.had other parts i should have gotten,a set of raw ARDEN v-8 60 heads and headers. still have the letter from them.

18. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I’m sure it can’t be real but I still think it’s cool D7A3462F-6FD2-4CB1-9352-83378A585539.jpeg

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the early 50’s that was a lot of money….