Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Question on Finding Airbag System Leaks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53CHKustom, Aug 22, 2014.

1. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Hi All,

I have briefly mentioned in other posts that my 53 Chevy has airbags in the rear. When it sits for about a week, the compressor runs for about 5 minutes when I turn the ignition switch on. The plan is to rewire the compressor so it won't turn on with the ignition. Has anyone else experienced the compressor running for 5 min. when it sits for about a week?

The owner I bought the car from talked to the suspension shop that updated the system and they said: "That's normal for 95% of cars with airbags. The only way to make it have zero leaks is to replace the plastic lines with steel lines."

Has anyone else seen similar behavior from their system? Thanks!
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      230.4 KB
      Views:
  2. soapy water in a squirt bottle. Just like finding a puncture in a tire.

Also, I have dual compressors and a tank about the same size as yours. I let them run until my engine warms up. Just for a few minutes. That tank is going to take awhile to fill.

willbe likes this.
  3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Yep, but I wouldn't think it'd be a problem unless it's leaking bad enough to drop the car while driving.

4. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks. In the entire 1 week I don't see the level of the car in the rear drop. The compressor runs for 5 solid minutes though when it sits that long. I guess there is a leak but is it accurate for the shop to have said "That's normal for 95% of cars with airbags. The only way to make it have zero leaks is to replace the plastic lines with steel lines." ?

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

If the car isn't dropping but the pressure in the tank is, then it's not the lines running from your valves to the bags. It has to be a leak at the tank or the lines running from the tank to the valves. I'd just spray some soapy water on the connections and see if it's an easy fix, but I wouldn't pull my hair out trying to chase the problem though.

6. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks for the advice. Special Ed is going to help me look for leaks in the system.

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

I'm curious as to what others will say on here, as well. I called the tech-line at Air-Ride once a long time ago and was told to first look at all the connections, and that would be exactly where I'd discover any leaks. The tech was definitely spot on. The actual lines themselves VERY, VERY seldom develop any leaks, but the fittings are another story.
    I'll see you again tomorrow morning, and we'll get 'er done ... hopefully we simply need to tighten a loose fitting somewhere, or an easily accessible connection.

8. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

My bags leak at some of the connections..I have one nasty leak where the line connects to the bag itself..if the pressure is low in the back, the line makes a kink and the air slowly leaks out...put a switch on the system and you can turn it on and off..I turn the switch on when I jump on the freeway so I dont have to listen to the compressors.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've got a Ride Tech "Cool Ride" system on my 63 BelAir. When I park it in my shop I drop the front and rear to 50# . They will stay at 50# forever, after start up I pump the front to 100# and the rear to 90#. That way the compressor only has to run a short time to replenish the tank. I'd check your fittings for leaks.

10. Funny air brakes on large truck use plastic lines. It's mostly connections (where a fitting is screwed into something) or the bags themselves before regular line leak.