Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Feature: Private Conversations Replace Private Messages

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Ryan, May 26, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

STARTING A PRIVATE CONVERSATION

Private conversations perform the same task as our old private messages, but there are some added features... and with those additions come some added complexity. The first thing to realize is that private conversations are actually kind of like private forums that you can set up between yourself and one OR more other users. In that way, it's similar to Gmail and very different from a typical private message system.

Let's go over the basics. How do you start a private conversation? Here are a couple of ways:

Method 1.
    1. Simply roll your mouse on the private conversation icon and click on "start a new conversation" like this:

clickhere.jpg

That will take you to a blank conversation page that looks like this:

new.jpg

From here, simply enter then username of one or more people that you would like to start a private conversation with, give the convo a title and a message, and then click "start a conversation."

Method 2.
    Let's say you found a car you want to inquire about in the classifieds and you want to send the seller a convo. Simply click on the username to access the user's user card and then click on "start a conversation" like this:

clickhere2.jpg

From there, you will be able to start a private conversation with the seller. Easy.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    Model T1 likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

READING YOUR CONVERSATIONS

But how do you read your Conversations? Easy, find the Conversation icon and roll your mouse over it. Then, click "show all" like this:

click3.jpg

That will take you to a page that houses ALL of your conversations ordered by the most recently replied to first.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    Model T1 likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

ADDING A USER TO A CONVERSATION

Lets say you and a buddy are discussing your project and you are both stuck on what axle width is appropriate for the '38 Ford you are building. Neither of you know the answer, but you are pretty sure @Kevin Lee does. So, what do you do? You invite Kevin to your conversation...

First, go to the conversation in question and click on "invite more" located in the side bar just under the list of users that are currently participating in the conversation. Here's a screen shot:

click4.jpg

When you click that, a window will pop up that allows you to add any user or users you want to the conversation.

In essence, this is a more advanced method than simply forwarding a private message to someone as once a user is invited to a conversation, they have the full history and context of that conversation.

Model T1 likes this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

LEAVING (OR DELETING) A CONVERSATION

But once a conversation is over and your tired of @Kevin Lee's bullshit, how do you get rid of it? Easy, you just leave the conversation. To leave a conversation, simply go to the conversation in question and find the control drop down box on the upper right hand side of the screen. It looks like this:

leave.jpg

Once that is done, you have left the conversation and it will not longer appear in your inbox.

Model T1 likes this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

ADDITIONAL FEATURES

As I mentioned in the beginning of this tutorial, I have mixed feelings about this new feature. In some ways, I feel like it's a little too complex... that being said, this complexity does allow us to do things that previously we were unable to do. Here's a few examples:

1. You can attach images and files to private conversations. They work just like a private forum, so adding images from your computer or your album works exactly the same. This is pretty damned great.

2. Conversations can have context where private messages can not. I like the idea that you can invite a guy to your conversation and he immediately knows what's up as he has the entire history of the conversation.

3. There are no limits... Before, you guys were limited to a number of private messages. With this new system... there are no limits... at least for now.

Model T1 likes this.
  6. ajunkman

ajunkman
    from Florida

thanks for info...answers a lot of questions

7. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I've been away for a while. Can't find old PM's. I got a link that said I have to sign up for some new email delivery service.

404zman likes this.
  8. That link is not from the HAMB...if you are seeing it, you are not logged in. Log in, then follow Ryan's instructions

9. I'm getting email notifications of PM's......how do I turn that off?

10. nickam82

nickam82

Someone started a conversation with me and I don't see what to click to reply to it, unless I'm blind.

11. Ryan, thanks again for your help. nick.

12. Ryan,are conversations between two people public? HRP

13. rocketron

rocketron

Editor,
    Does the recipient get a notice to his outside (non-HAMB) e-mail (assuming he listed an address in his profile) ??

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  14. Biggest problem is this new system requires the addressee to log on befor the dialong can start evidently. Old PM at least you could hit him up-side the head with an email that he would more likely respond to! Does the Conversation send an email notification to the addressee?

rockinrobin2 likes this.
  15. If they have it selected as an option then yes they do. It seems to default to being on so unless they turned it off or changed their email address they should get one.

16. fore-speed

fore-speed

What can you do when a member does not respond to a convo concerning a car he listed for sale.

17. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how to send a PM.

I think it would have been better to not change the semantics and simply keep the PM name and advertise "New PM Features Coming Out!"

Its like when Microsoft introduces a new OS and renames everything. The functions are exactly the same but now you have to figure out what the new name is.

It all sounds good to me except for calling it something different.

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Unable to delete or "leave" conversation(s). Clicked on link as per instructions here to "leave" and get error message instead of it deleting the conversation. WTF??????????

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Ryan, are our old PM files still accessible anywhere? I kept interesting ones in the file and referred to them from time to time; now I can't find them at all.

20. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have the same issue. Did you ever get it resolved? @Ryan any info on this??

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I did hear from Ryan in response to my question about PM's.
    He said "...due to privacy issues we don't archive any private messages."
    Oh well.

22. Ryan, I am trying to add another member to a conversation, but there is no "Invite Others" option. How can I add another participant???

23. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I think my issue was fixed or I did it right.............Thanks!!

24. A Boner

A Boner

Can we vote here?
    I like
    It sucks <--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I did, however, discover that if you open your file of conversations, your PMs are in that file.

26. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I can do everything with a pm easily.....except figure out how to send it. Where or what is the send button?
    There is no post reply.

27. Hit the "Start A Conversation" button

conversation.jpg

28. JAB

JAB

n Miny bj 5t

29. I feel...I feel... the rapid onset of waves of acid reflux. I am particularly keen to analyze the psychological triggers that effect human health, quality of life the onset of all varieties of disease. I think...I think that... oh yeah, you've got a good one hear....

30. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

How do you post a reply to these things?

I've got a guy asking me questions, and I cannot for the life of me find any way to reply him.

Help!

EDIT:
    OK, so I went and clicked some other conversations in my box and those have a reply box at the bottom just like any other normal page.

Did the guy maybe inadvertently "leave" the conversation, which is why I can't reply to him?

If that's the case, there needs to be some notification that this has happened, so we know what's going on.

Also, if that's what happened, how do I proceed? Just start a new conversation with him?

I'm sure this feature will be fine once everyone figures it out, but the instructions currently leave something to be desired.