Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My rust free 34 redo..

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by slddnmatt, Jul 11, 2014.

1. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

photo 3 (36).JPG photo 4 (28).JPG photo 4 (30).JPG photo 1 (43).JPG photo 1 (46).JPG photo 2 (39).JPG

I pretty much have the car blocked minus the hood, thanks to my boy Lincoln, so stood back and I kept staring at it trying to figure my next step, and the damn smooth inner rear fender wells kept jumping out at me..After a couple days I couldn't take it anymore and made some beads that matched the original stamping and glued them in place..I can't get over the gluing thing...

Jeff Norwell and Besty34 like this.
  2. Concretes overated, congrats on a great score. This is going to come out real nice.

3. Looking good Matt, are yo going to fit a standard tank and redo those rails, or leave it bobbed? I've got some photos for you.....

cheers,

Drewfus

4. killer idea! you have just started a trend.;)

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I'm going to keep it bobbed Andrew, I like that look. Reminds me of a Hotwheel that my pop modified for me when I was a kid..

6. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

Would you consider making a pair of those wheel well inserts for me?

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

photo 5 (27).JPG photo 4 (39).JPG

Been a few weeks since I have been able to play with the coupe. I had me a baby girl a few weeks ago and between that, no sleep, my boy starting kindergarten and fabbing up a bunch of rocker panels for the Mercs, my play time on the car is non exsistant!! In the mean time I was able to chase down some needed parts. I managed to round up a pretty descent hood and sides from a fello Hamber, and found a very nice grille, after being outbid on one I was watching on ebay..Got them sand blasted and straigtened out and set on the car for a looksy..Looks pretty good to me! Some epoxy primer coming soon!

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

photo 3 (49).JPG

I just so happen to have a few 94's laying around and after a few inquires, a buddy said he had an Edelbrock 6x2 for an Olds engine. The ports between the engines are damn near the same as the Caddy, but the degree on the mating surface and the bolt holes are off. So after a little welding and a surfacing I'm good to go! I don't plan to run all the carbs, just planning on the centers. Anybody reccomend a linkage set up they like? I really don't feel like building one..

Now I just need to repray the enging color and get those carbs all spiffied up!

Jeff Norwell and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. millersgarage

millersgarage

nice car, I like where you're going with it.

10. Imes-tay oo-tay !! Nice way to do a winter safe driving hot rod. Nothing wrong with that. Affordable and fun, with a man that obviously knows what steel means. Good enough for me. Glue away brother !! Vroom vrooom !

Edit....just saw you're already a Cali' guy....funny.....yeah winter safe driving.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    slddnmatt likes this.
  11. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on the new baby girl ! And nice work on the 34 coupe.

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

My ass has been lagging on some updated photos..Picked up some new inner fender panels for it and made some new radiator mounts . I had to modify the panels since the frame is pinched. Made the little window fins on the doors, this body didn't have them. I also ended up mounting some 41-8 tail lights instead of the 37's since I dropped and broke a lens.

. photo 5 (34).JPG photo 1 (66).JPG photo 1 (73).JPG photo 2 (67).JPG

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Next on the agenda was to address the floor boards which were hacked up pretty good, and it needed a trans cover made also. So I popped the engine back in and started at it.

photo 5 (38).JPG photo 1 (72).JPG photo 4 (51).JPG

da34guy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  14. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Once I got that stuff all shaped I had to mount the column. It came with a tilt and and another fixed column, so the tilt got yanked out. It had all the joints and shafts to convert it back, just had to lengthen one shaft so the column was set to my liking.

On the lower column mount I was trying to come up with something cheap and laying around the shop and I happen to spot an aluminum AC vent, which just happen to be the same size OD as the column..COOL! So the inner baffle was removed and it is now a custom column mount.:D Once that was situated I made an upper column drop.

photo 2 (74).JPG photo 3 (63).JPG photo 4 (48).JPG photo 4 (50).JPG photo 4 (53).JPG photo 2 (71).JPG

da34guy, Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

beautiful…love the 46-48 tail light treatment….. always look the proper part on model 40s.Love the build.

Runnin shine likes this.
  16. Lookin Great! Love 33/34 3 window's with 3 pedals:rolleyes:

17. texkbc

texkbc

Nice Hot Rod!

18. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Love this build. The ride height is perfect. Wheel and tire size?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you weld studs on the panel to attach it to the body? The welds caught my attention.

20. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Nice project. Last 34 hiboy we did, we made custom hood sides and blister panels, was easier than cutting up stock ones. We also laid the grill back a little more than stock. The changes you made to the wheel wells and doors turned a 33 into a 34. That is a good looking body and you are building it into a cool hotrod!

21. You're gonna have a great hot rod when finished, I'll be watch'in.

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I owned a '34 Tudor for years, but didn't know there was a difference in wheelwells between '33 and '34's. Please enlighten me..

23. Allmotor

Allmotor

Good looking Hot Rod

24. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Terrific car that is on the right track! Happy Thanksgiving.

25. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Yes sir, welded studs and smothered it with some epoxy and bolted them into the recess I stepped in the panel.

26. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Tires are 6.00-16's and 7.60-16's

27. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Lovin' this thread! The '33-'34 Coupe's my all time favorite Ford. Any updates?

Little 5-year-old Lincoln out in the shop workin' on dad's car...you're bringin' him up just right!

Congrats on your new little girl, what did you name her? Victoria? Shelby? ...?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  28. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Gary,
    '33s have a smooth wheel well, no " crows foot". I put '34 wheel wells in my '33 coupe, just coz I like them!
    Cheers,
    Stewart

29. '34 Victorias have smooth wheel well, as well.

30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Crickets? I know your not chasing rust so what's the update?