Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods End of Rod & Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32phil, Aug 12, 2014.

1. 32phil

32phil
    from New York

Just got the latest Issue of Hot Rod, this, as the cover explains is going to replace my Subscription to R&C.....I don't think so...I am going to return the cover letter to the publishers and decline the Hot Rod "swap" and request a refund for the balance of my subscription. Just the fact that they think substituting Hot Rod for R&C is OK explains a lot of what happened. If anyone thinks Hot Rod could on it's best day could replace R&C they are sadly mistaken. I hope all of those who feel the same as I will do likewise.

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You were lucky, they substituted Motor Trend for my subscription, I barely read Motor Trend when I got it for free.

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Guy's I don't think this is the last car magazine you are going to see going out of business.

Anything with print seems to be on the way out.

I personally hate to see this happening but the costs of producing a good quality magazine and then getting people to buy it on the news stand is a major problem these day's

No want want to pay between $5.00 and $8.00 dollars to look at pages of ads!!!

Jimbo

4. khead47

khead47

They replaced mine with Street Rodder. Buncha billet bullshit. Arghhhhhh!

5. spooler41

spooler41

Phil, I feel the same way, they have sent" Street Rodder" ,to fill the gap,what a rip.

................Jack

6. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I got Home and Garden, are they trying to tell me something?

tb33anda3rd and Vonmerkin like this.
  7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I still cannot believe my incredible luck of having the last issue be the last one on my subscription. Now I get to choose which (if any) of the remaining advertisement monthlies I get to spend my money on.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. You'll play heel getting a cash refund from Multimedia, or PRIMEDIA or whatever it is that they call themselves these days. One may negotiate a different rag from them if the one that they are sending is not acceptable. Not that anything that they send will be a substitute for what you want.

I got to laugh this month I got my issue of Hot Rod (it just comes I haven't renewed it in years) and they had an article about painting "Speed Stripes" I never heard them called speed stripes before, they have been called racing stripes all my life and who on earth needs instruction on how to paint them? Filler.

They also had an article on how to decide if you should paint your car or leave it rusty. I always figured that your car is a reflection of yourself. To paint or not to paint is a personal decision and no one really needs anyone to tell them what it is that they like, correct?

Its like fish soup, you have to eat the fish and spit out the bones. There is usually something of value if you look hard enough.

Model T1 likes this.
  9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Give Hot Rod a chance. Read it with an open mind and I promise you will like it.

-Abone.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Agreed. I enjoy Hot Rod magazine.
    It's a lot better than many of the other mags out there today.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

they sent me Motor Trend so, I emailed [email protected]. requested that they send me Hot Rod DeLuxe instead. they responded quickly, and said change will be made.

12. They sent me Motor Trend last week. Do I buy a Porsche or a Miata next?
    Ohh wait, traditionlists say I should build one from scrap.
    Maybe a 327" dual quad Healey would work.

13. d-rod!

d-rod!

They sent me hustler,... I'm happy...

14. Squablow

Squablow

Print media was doomed the moment technology advanced to the point we could consume the internet whilst pooping.

I haven't subscribed to a magazine since Marky Mark had a Funky Bunch, but a friend of mine works at a parts store and gives me the old unsold issues of Hot Rod Deluxe and it's pretty decent. If you have subscription left over, I think Jalopy Joker has a good suggestion.

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Another thread on the passing of R&C?! It's time to let the subject rest in peace.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

The same thing happened to me back in the '70s the last time R&C went out of business. I wrote a letter, too. It made no difference, of course, but R&C did come back eventually.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

18. It could have in the 50's and 60's. But, sadly, not today. :(

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. b-bob

b-bob

They sent me Hotrod yesterday, I called and asked for Streetrodder, not knowing I could have had any of their other labels.

20. druids62

druids62

They sent me Street rodder. I stopped buying this many years ago. At least I received something and to top it off.....................Jeff Norwell Part one!!!!!!!! Priceless!

21. Model T1

Model T1

I just got Hot Rod today. But we pick up our mail from the post office so it could have arrived a week ago. I no longer get in a hurry to pick up junk mail. I don't owe nobody nuthin and anyone owes me forgot my P O box number. Anyway I can't even remember when I last renewed any of those car magazines yet some keep coming. That included R & C until it died.
    So I thank them all for remembering me from the beginning when they were real car magazines. If I want catalogs I order from one and get all kinds of new catalogs.

22. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Magazine companies I haven't renewed with are sending me free back issues.What's up with that? I guess they really want me to re-subscribe.

BTW I think Hot Rod Deluxe is OK if you kind of squint while all the billet goes by.

23. I also was sent Motor Trend....until Sept. 2015....this is soooo not me! I got it changed to HRM, as I am already a subscriber and it is good for what it represents. But I surely will miss R&C, again.

24. I just received Hot Rod for the remainder of my R&C subscription.

25. Ulu
    They need you more then you need them. Price of an advertising is based on readership, the more they can say they send out the more they can charge for an ad. They don't even cover at the news stand. I figure that is why Hot rod continues to come to my place and I really can't complain, I always figured that I play with cars because of my lack of endowment, and if it were not for them I never would have known that there are vitamins that will make me grow a bigg'n. Now I don't have to play with cars any more. ;)

Model T1 likes this.
  26. Model T1

Model T1

So, what do you play with now beaner?:confused:

27. Home Brew

Home Brew

They sent me Motor Trend. I tossed it in the trash. Sent them an e mail requesting my money back. I had just renewed a couple months ago for three years. I got a reply that I would get a refund in 4 to 6 weeks. There must be some slow writers there if it takes that long to write a check.

28. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

No, that's just the time it takes to file bankruptcy. They're not writing you a check buddy.