Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Ford Shoebox

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by A.Rykowski, Aug 13, 2014.

1. A.Rykowski

A.Rykowski

Hi everyone, new here so I may not be posting this in the right place. I have a 50 Shoebox that was an original flat 6. I'm converting to a 302 with a C4. Wondering if anyone has ever made this swap and retained the original radiator?

2. flamingokid

flamingokid

We swapped out a flathead v-8 for a 302.We went with a larger radiator.Welcome to the HAMB !

3. A.Rykowski

A.Rykowski

Thank you for the response and for the welcome!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. jodell

jodell
    from Irvine, CA

I would second the suggestion to install a newer, better radiator to handle the heat of the larger engine.
    Jeff

5. A.Rykowski

A.Rykowski

Thanks Jeff. The main reason I'm even asking is that I can't seem to find a radiator that will mount forward of the core support (as the 6cyl cars did) with the inlet and outlet ports in the factory locations. I don't want to have to cut the upper core support and further, I already have the engine with a driver side waterpump. Can anyone suggest a manufacturer for an aftermarket radiator? Certainly don't mind paying the price.

6. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Another option would be to have your rad re-cored with a high efficiency core and have the inlets moved to a suitable loc'n. Did that with my v8 flatty rad and it keeps my 322 nailhead cool.

7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep - Mustang - there are 2 to 4 row available. also, need to figure out where you will put trans cooler without blocking radiator.

9. A.Rykowski

A.Rykowski

That mustang set up looks like it'll work great. Awesome feedback guys, thank you so much

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I run a stock 6cyl radiator in mine. Never even gets close to getting hot....maybe 160*.

11. ahshoe

ahshoe

I used the original radiator for years with great results. I had to have the radiator shop plate off the extra top tank hole.Later I did eventually go to a Walker one specifically for a 49-51 Ford

12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Ever notice how tiny as Mustang/Fairlane radiator is vs how large the 49-51 6 or V8 radiator is?
    The stock radiator, in good condition is more than adequate. Hey and it fits like it was made for the car.

On a side note, the 7ha six had a reputation of being a better runner with superior performance in stock form than the V-8.

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I've fit a Fox Body Mustang radiator in 2 small block Ford equipped Shoeboxes . I have some pics in my build thread (click the link in my sig below) . This setup in minimally invasive , uses stock Fox Body upper & lower rad hoses & cools very well using off the shelf Mustang stuff available at any AutoZone & such . Good luck with your swap & keep us posted on your build !

14. A.Rykowski

A.Rykowski

You have a very good point about the mustang radiators. It's kind Of funny, my brother thought I was nuts for even questioning if the stick radiator was enough. Guess I have to tell him he's right hahaha

15. loose49

loose49
    from tucson az

yo when I started mine yrs ago I put a 350 in but was so broke took my flathead radiator to a shop and had them block off one hole on top and one on the bottom ran it for three yrs. just know where your hoses come out top and bottom good luck it works

16. BRENT

BRENT

I used a 3 core mustang rad in my box when I did the chevy 350 swap and it did NOT have the capacity to keep it cooled. I switched to a Walker rad I had sitting around that was made for a 32 Ford grill and was made specific for a SBC and now I have no cooling issues. I have also heard that a 55 chevy rad will work good and after looking at a 1962 Cadillac rad I'm sure that could be made to fit also. Its a shame about the mustang rad though it really fit inside nice.

17. A.Rykowski

A.Rykowski

Thanks for the heads up Brent. I'm thinking I'm going to just spend the $$ on an aftermarket with built in trans cooler. Superior Radiator in Michigan has them for the shoebox sbf or sbc for $350.00. They look pretty nice

18. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

nice ride ! you are going to get many smiles per gallon when cruzin.

A.Rykowski likes this.
  19. BRENT

BRENT

I would go that route if I were you! 350 sounds like a steal. The real issue with the Mustang rad was that it just did not have enough capacity of coolant to keep cool even with a electric fan. With the larger rad it had more coolant holding capacity and that solved the problem. When you look at the mustang rad it only measured something like 18" x 20" or something of that nature...not very big and had me wondering right from the start if it was big enough. Maybe there is different sizes of the Mustang rad like something say for a 390 or 351 but I'm no Ford expert...maybe someone would know more on this subject. The rad From the 32 grill measured something like 18" x 27" if I remember.. that extra bit helped.

20. 4rod

4rod

I have a 302 in my 50...original flathead trans{changed bellhousing} n rad check out the build page