Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Newbie and want F100 wheel color advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Raty 64, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Raty 64

Raty 64

Hi all I'm new here from the STL Mo area. I picked up a 64 f100 in pretty good shape in June has f150 wheels that I hate so I picked up some wheel vintiques series 12 with baby moons. I want to know if you think I should paint them Ragoon Red (the original color of the truck) or gloss black. I'm torn which will look better. Any opinions/advice is appreciated. Thanks,Jeremy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. Black for bad ass

3. shadams

shadams

[​IMG]

I have series 12 as well, you know what they say, once you go black you never go back....

4. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Raty...painted mine black (they were standard Ford steel 15x6 wheels). Then ordered 2 Wheel Vintiques 12x8 Ford wheels for the rear. They were the same gray color. I mounted them yesterday and then decided that I like the silver or aluminum color. It's a matter of personal preference....

Attached Files:

5. Raty 64

Raty 64

Very nice looking truck Steve and thanks.

6. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Thanks....post pics of your truck with the new wheels. We like pics...

7. TexasDart

TexasDart

Actually I think White would look pretty good on your truck...since it is white and red.

8. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Cream color against the red is cool, I had that planned for my '41 before I traded it for the '40 coupe

9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

White or black.

10. Raty 64

Raty 64

Finally not too hot to get the wheels painted and tires mounted. My parents where in town and my dad helped me remove the 2nd and 4 th leaves on the front springs. Looks so much better. Bought a parts teuck long bed im taking the front axle out of to send off to Sid and then put it under this truck. Gonna flip the rear axle over the winter. Thanks for the suggestions love the black.

Attached Files:

11. Black paint wheels are the new red,I think a early sixty's Ford color like Wimbledon White would look great!,,it's kind of a off white. HRP

12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Oh, I see what you did there with the W/W, looks good, you didn't tell us you were going w/W/W.

13. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Looks great! Did you have the leaves removed when you took the pic? I am about to do the same to mine...front and rear. You also need to change your avatar pic....those F150 wheels are hurting everyone's eyes. I like HRP's idea for wheel color...Wimbledon White. Thinking about painting mine that color. Post some more pics of the interior and engine. We like pics...

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

15. Raty 64

Raty 64

Yes fronts were removed when took the pic haven't done anything to the rear yet. I agree the Wimbledon white would look good but not sure with the wide whites. Would like to see that combo. I'll get some interior engine pics up soon. Ill change the avatar right now.

stevethepreacher likes this.
  16. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

17. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Yep yep. Wimbledon white.

18. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Yep yep. Wimbledon white.

19. loudbang

loudbang

Which ever color YOU like.

20. Raty 64

Raty 64

Steve finally got some pics of the interior and engine. I "restored" my steering wheel thanks to post on the hamb. Very amateur job at best but looks way better than before. The truck has a rebuilt 302 out of a explorer and a borg warner t10 4 speed. The first pic of the interior is when I first got the truck.

Attached Files:

21. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Raty...that looks good. I like the upholstery on your seat. I had to do the same with my steering wheel. The steering wheel cover had been on so long that it was stuck to the wheel. I had to sand it down and I then used JB weld in the cracks and shot white rustoleum on it. I went to Walmart and bought a 5x7 loop pile area rug and used it to carpet the floor...only $19.95. It isn't perfect, but looks better than the bare metal. Attached some before and after pics....

Attached Files:

22. Raty 64

Raty 64

Steve that looks very nice. I love the white wheel and column. My carpet is also a area rug cut down and died black I have $40 in the carpet and dye. Couldn't find a black rug anywhere. It has a couple wrinkles but $150 less than a fitted carpet I can handle it.

23. Judd

Judd

I like color match to body.

Attached Files:

24. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Nice truck Judd! Do you have any interior and engine pics?

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ummmm...let's see... Man, deep subject! IDK...Man! Like...wow...

26. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Seat looks great. Nice color choices.

27. Jason455

Jason455

28. 64grand

64grand

I just want to find some exact specs on wheels that will bring my tires out closer to the fenders. Backspacing?? Offset?? So confusing! I want to run 10in tires in the back and 7in in the front. Don't mean to high jack or dig this up but I'm sure it would help a lot of people with that narrow f100 stance.

29. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

64grand I know what you mean about the narrow stance. If I recall the backspacing for the stock for wheels is 4 1/2 inches. I purchased a set of 15x8 steelies from Summit with a lesser backspace (I don't remember now what I ordered.) But the idea is, the lesser the backspacing the more the wheel and tire will be pushed outward in the wheel-well. I took my stock front wheels off and knocked the centers out and reversed them and changed the backspacing to 2 inches. This moved the fronts outward very nicely. Hope this helps.
    Steve-

Attached Files:

30. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

For all of you '60-'66 Ford F-100 guys, I recommend www.slick60s.com The site is just for the early to mid '60's Ford trucks and has a plethora (load) of tips, tricks, ideas, build threads etc. I've been over there for the past 2-3 months and the site is great. They also have a Facebook page as well. Just my 2 cents....