Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Roadster Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cully33, Jun 28, 2013.

1. John you really should look at getting new glasses, that's my daughter in the photo.:eek:

2. falconj

falconj
    Member Emeritus

:oops::oops: oops, sorry mate, bit hard for me to see it properly,
    I was just thinking of ways to boost your brownie points, that's all :(

3. In awe at all of the talent here on this forum. Love the garage. Every one of the cars, 59 vert especially. Figured your day job was an Aussie' astronaut with all the skill and such, but with the Burma pedal car story...who knows?? Indiana Jones ! ? Badass roadster man, stay safe, and keep it going. Awesome stuff.

4. cruisin32ford

cruisin32ford

Just got in on this thread. This has GOT to be one of my favorite dueces.Unbelieveable! I almost had a "Duecegasm" when I started on page 1. I'll keep my eye on this one! Great job!

5. Thanks again guys for checking in, good to see the regular crew keeping an eye on me.

6. Thanks for the kind words, but I defiantly are no astronaut or Indiana Jones, just a mechanic started off working on Highway trucks when I was fifteen, moved on to earthmoving and the past 20 years working offshore on oil rigs, which has taken me to many places around the world that you would not normally go. I love the 59 Convert also should have been building it now but the roadster came along, 59 will be next once the roadster is finished.

7. Duecegasm will have to remember that one thanks.

8. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

Great build ! I love your 32 ! Thanks for the inspiration ! Your 36 looks awesome,too !

9. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Cully: I've watched your build from the first one, Fantastic work, Just love it.

10. FlatJan

FlatJan

great build
    dig especially the engine with the kool magneto!

11. Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply to you all but I don't like to keep bumping my own thread unless I have something to add.

12. Ok time for a little update, did not get much done at all this time off, I know I am starting to sound like a stuck record, but I have my excuses, extended time away with work and a bout of flu jurying my short time at home, did not feel like doing much. But got a little done and in my books any progress made is a step in the right direction.
    Ok managed to finish running the new brake lines.

DSCF4040.JPG DSCF4068.JPG

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  13. Next I turned my attention to the generator, which one of my good hot rod mates gave me, has a cool old chrome job on the housing, I purchased new bearings, brushes and 12 volt field coils, want to convert to 12 volts as I plan on running a heater in the roadster, I don't know if it's because I'm getting old or I want to keep the misses happy.
    Anyway turns out the generator already had 12 volt field coils fitted, so now I have a new spare set.

DSCF4037.JPG DSCF4038.JPG DSCF4039.JPG

14. I noticed that I had clearance issues, between the front wishbone and engine, could jump up and down on the front end and make them contact. So I marked the area and cut out a section added a section of 2 1/4" exhaust pipe, clearance is ok now.

DSCF4042.JPG DSCF4045.JPG DSCF4043.JPG DSCF4044.JPG DSCF4046.JPG

15. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

hi Cully,
    really admire your work, the way you have a go at everything is truly inspiring and a reminder that with some ingenuity, patience and the right tools anything is possible, ohh and a ton of skill and experience helps!

16. Thanks Tommy, truly appreciate your comments and positive feed.

17. Like I said not a lot achieved this time off, fabricated a bracket for the emergency brake.
    DSCF4060.JPG DSCF4063.JPG DSCF4064.JPG DSCF4065.JPG DSCF4070.JPG

Kiwifruit likes this.
  18. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Great work so far, why the clearance issues with sump?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Thanks Thommo, with the A style front cross member and reverse eye low profile spring fitted, it just brought the chassis and engine down close to the wish bone, only had clearance issues on the passenger side where the integrated bell housing extends for the starter motor, it was not touching but close, like I said I could stand on the front spreader bar and jump up and down and get it to make contact. With the scalloped section welded in place now it's all good plenty of clearance.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  20. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Makes sense, I'll go and check mine.
    Thanks.

21. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

It's close, never noticed before, will do your mod if it gives trouble.
    Thanks, thommo

22. Mart

Mart

My roadster runs stock 32 wishbone with a reversed eye flattened spring, and I had to make the same modification. In fact the engine came from another 32 and already had the pan modified. It must have been a common mod back in the day but is seldom mentioned.

Mart.

thommoina33 likes this.
  23. downunderdeuce

downunderdeuce
    from australia

Cully..did you have the Halibrands for sale some time back?

24. Yes PM sent

25. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Cully, good to see that you are still making progress, keep the updates coming.

26. My son just picked up a 32 pickup. going to use what I learned from your build to build his truck..
    what generator is that?
    Thank you
    Terry aka dirt t

27. Thanks Waxhead, are you going to the car show/swap meet on the 19th in Guildford ?? might see you there thinking about taking a trailer load of stuff.
    Cully

28. Hi Terry, glad to see you are still checking in, the generator is a 39 unit.
    Cully

29. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Yeah Cully, I am planning on going to Guildford. I will keep an eye out for you. I have a new Banger engine arriving from the US on Sunday, so if I have that swapped out in time, might even take the pickup. Hope to see you there.

30. Cully,
    Boy I would like to go through your trailer load going to the swap meet before you take it. I am sure there is some good stuff in there I could use on the 3 window.
    Take care mate, Dennis