Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940s Aircraft WWII Instrument Lamps for a Deuce

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ric Dean, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

1940s Aircraft WWII War Bird Instrument Panel Lamps.

.. Help needed with the function of 1940s Aircraft WWII War Bird Instrument Panel Lamps; I’m a wiring illiterate but in the planning stage of setting up a Deuce with a 1940’s inspired Dash and back fit 1930s 2 3/8’’ Gauges.
    .. My question is I have four B17 matching Lamp Holders - red, green, blue and white; what proper function should be assigned to the 4 diff colors, or is this over doing it with 4 Lamps? I will be running a full race street 276ci Flathead, Wiring with Aircraft push-pull Mag Switch and Starter Button also an electric Fuel Pump. This will be utilitarian through back to the 40’s no Power/Air/ Directionals no nutin but a Multiple Fuel System; with two Tanks ‘Hand Pressure Pump’ Check Valves & Gauges.

PS: see B17 Lamps 5, 600p .jpg WWII B17 Cockpit 600p .jpg enc. Photos of the 4 Lamps & a B17 Cabin.

Thanks, Ric

2. Check the bulbs, they may be 24v.
    Red, for generator operation.
    Blue, high beam
    green, nitrous or get another for your turn signals
    white, pointed down to read your map

Ric Dean likes this.
  3. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Red is universal for "Warning". Amber is universal for "Caution". Blue & white are not common colors for aircraft in that time frame. Green was common for landing gear safe indications (down and locked) or other indications for systems normal or safe. I'm not sure what bulbs are available for those old indicator lights but they were most likely 24-volt applications.

Ric Dean and volvobrynk like this.
  4. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Don't know if you have your heart set on the larger indicator lights or not. I went through all of this a few month ago and settled on the smaller jeweled lights. They are not real easy to find, but they can be had. I like the size and style. Also, worked in aircraft (Boeing Military) designing instruments and lighting. I agree with rotorwrench on the color indications. I am using green for turn signals, and red for warnings.

Attached Files:

Ric Dean likes this.

5. I tried one of the red lights on my model A many years ago,,it looked cool but when I hit the dimmer switch for my brights it illuminated the entire cab,,it was too bright!

Check the light to see if you can live with the brightness before you install them. HRP

Ric Dean likes this.
  6. wsdad

wsdad

If you find the bulbs are 24vdc, they make adapters to bump the voltage UP from 12vdc to 24vdc. This is the first one I found after doing a google search.

http://www.powerstream.com/dc-2171.htm

It was only $22.00.

Good luck!

" The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen. -Soloman

Ric Dean likes this.
  7. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

The smaller the better for night time driving. indicators.jpg

Ric Dean likes this.
  8. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Nice lights, but think he is looking for a late 1940 or early 1950 look.

9. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

‘unkledaddy’ gave me an idea though; I could slide one of those modern ones inside the B17 lamps to tone them down.

sko_ford likes this.
  10. Period correct is period correct...if you're going to the trouble of getting WWII vintage lamps, why not go to the trouble to install/use them in a period fashion? LED's or 12v power need not apply. Why not find appropriate 6v bulbs and roll with it?

You may be able to fool the masses, but you'll always 'know'. JMO.

Zurekbrau likes this.
  11. ^This is a sensible usage^
    I have seen systems with a single turn indicator that flashed both left and right. I know 63 plymouth valiant for sure had only one. I wouldn't mess with 24v bulbs, I would convert to the tiny LEDs. If done correctly, the LED will last a lifetime

12. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Ya when your right your right; you don’t run Bonneville in the Dark

13. wsdad

wsdad

It's also adjustable. (Less voltage = dimmer for night time driving.)

" The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen. -Soloman

14. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I'd use the red for oil pressure and the green for generator.

20 million VW bugs can't be wrong.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

.. Thanks for your input; I’m going to add another photo to show I could always change the bulb sockets if needed to stick with 6V.

Attached Files:

16. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

So what is what in the photo? It shows a screw in socket and a blade socket. The screw in bulbs are around, that is what I am using, but so are the blade style.

17. I changed my 24v bulbs to 12v, went online to find the proper one to fit the socket.

Ric Dean likes this.
  18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Red - left turn signal
    Green - right turn signal
    Blue - hi-beams
    White - dome light

Not... LOL. Gary

19. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Well, I agree with the LOL part.

20. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

‘Rotorwrench’
    .. Sounds like you know your way around old piston engine Warbirds. I’ve got a question for you; when starting them was there 1st ‘power on switch then Mag on switch and then Starting Button?
    Thank you for your input, Ric

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  21. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

If in fact they have 24V bulbs in them, try them before buying 6 or 12V bulbs. They might still be bright enough for you on reduced voltage.

22. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

.. No the best yet is from ‘Rotorwrench’ “Green was common for landing gear safe indications (down and locked)” ya need this for a Deuce HiBoy at 120mph and above!

23. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

.. There will be no turn signals in this Deuce; I have lived here for 45 years if people don’t know where I’m going its their problem.

Best regards; Ric

24. Canuck

Canuck

Went through this a while ago, trying to select indicator lamps for my 30 coupe dash. Wanted cool looking, vintage, not too large, not too bright and didn't want any light thrown around behind the dash. Picked these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Canuck

25. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

‘Jseery’
    .. I’m answering these posting a little out of sequence, I haven’t even checked out bulb availability yet but the hole size does look big to me for miniature Bulbs. My point to a couple of guys was I’m not limited to 24V bulbs if they do take a bigger hole; are they? It’s a little early to be talking about all that because I can change out that part of the Lamp anyway or whatever is needed. Never the less the aim is to stick with 6V system; in due time I will get involved with Duel Battery system.

I wanted to reply to your earlier post directly because you had some knowledgeable points; but that will be changing the topic; so I’ll get back to you.

Thanks, Ric

26. Can't wait to see the rest of the project!!

27. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

I agree they are cool looking; are they Old Stock or new?

28. Canuck

Canuck

Lucas, used up to the 70s. Not sure when they started using them. Everything from MGs to Nortons. Thats where I fell in love with them, on a early 60s Norton.

Cancuck

29. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

‘GeezersP15’
    .. I will be running the Deuce with a 6V system. Wouldn’t I have to run each lamp with a reducer? I wouldn’t want to run them with 24V the lens is 5/8 inchs and like
    Jseery’ & ‘HOTRODPRIMER’ said the Lamps overwhelm a small car interior.
    Thanks, Ric

30. If you use 6v on a 24v bulb, you will get a real dim light, might be just right so as to not blind you at night. In an off topic car I used the smallest (2 mm) blue LED for the high beam indicator, first time I drove it at night I put a piece of electrical tape over it and it is still covered.