Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. Palumbo's Shoebox project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The dual master setup is a homemade system Craig & I made up . We made a similar one on his car , but in front of the crossmember - a very tidy setup . On mine , I need to leave room to make a clutch master system once I get the T-5 in there . That's the reason I put the master back there - That meant a longer custom pushrod . The master on mine is from a Ford truck - on Craig's we used a Mustang 2 .

Oh , I wish ;) ! Any progress is good to me . Once I'm satisfied with how stuff is put together , I'm gonna blow it all apart & paint behind everything & seal it all up & fit the bodywork better , new seals & glass , etc. and get it ready to "drive ugly" . Once I've got some confidence in the car , then I'll give it a shiny paintjob . I still have the interior to re-do ... UGH !!

2. daddio211

daddio211

3. Mel Walters

Mel Walters

I have a 50 Ford with a 289/t5. Any suggestions on what type hanging clutch and brake assembly to go with the mustang clutch cable. I'm thinking 64.5 thru 66 Mustang and then using an aftermarket cable conversion kit. Any help will be greatly appreciated. If you can't help, where on this forum can I go. I'm kinda new to it.

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Can't really help ya with that one , as I'm still running the stock setup on mine . I'm not sure yet whether I'll be running a cable or a hydraulic setup when I go to the t-5 tranny . I like "mechanical" stuff , so I'll most likely try to do a cable setup first , and if that doesn't work out , I'll figure out a hydraulic master/slave system . Maybe I'll try to go really old school & do a totally mechanical pushrod setup right off the original pedal - we'll see ;) .

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Finished up my brakes last night - installed my custom pushrod , ran the last of the lines , installed new rear wheel cylinders & finished clamping all the pipes to the frame . All new stuff ... I like that !

Next , I have to make a "trap door" above the master to fill it & we'll be good to go .

6. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

7. One day soon.....pooooff, your going to stand back and 'hey i'm done'
    Keep chuggin. Looking good.

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm still rollin' along !

Oh man , I can't wait till that day ! Right now , we're working on installing the wiring harness kit I got from Centech . Nothing much worth taking pics of , other than reinstalling my dash & heater box to run the wires to/around . I also rebuilt my little Holley carb , now that's ready to go too .

9. Ugh...I hate wiring...except for the beong finished with it part:beer::banghead:

Sent VIA top secret BIGREDTODD Mobile HQ

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Wiring doesn't really bug me , but making it look 100% is a real effort . It's really time-consuming to say the least .

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I figured I'd post a couple pics of the wiring job underway , for those who like pics (like myself) . As you can see in the pics , we mounted the fusebox on the passenger footwell inner kick panel . We got a good bit of the wiring run around the car . Under the dash , the wiring is nearly done . We still have to finish running the wires to the head/tail lights , but at least the "worst" is behind us ;) . Once all is run , then it'll be time to wrap it all with electrical tape & pretty it all up with clamps & such (obviously . it won't stay as you see in the pics with exposed wires , zip ties & masking tape , lol) . Well , here are a few pics :

Check out that dash !

[​IMG]

You can see the wiring if you look through the glove box hole :

[​IMG]

Here's the fusebox so far :

[​IMG]

We're running the harness along the passenger inner fender in the engine bay :

[​IMG]

There is a short harness running to the alternator & to the coil :

[​IMG]

Like I said , it's not nearly done , so don't mind all the loose ends hanging everywhere . More pics to follow ...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  12. Wiring is not so bad especially with a kit. Like that intake. Haven't seen one of those in awhile.

13. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's looking good,wish I were home working on mine

14. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Looks nice Buddy! Keep it up!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks guys !

Centech makes a nice kit . As with any wiring kit , there still a ton of work , running one wire at a time , but it isn't rocket surgery .

I like the intake too . The old "tarantula" is probably overkill for this engine , but it sure is cool to see an OG intake once in a while . I've seen a few Chebbie versions around , but I've not seen one for a FORD in a looong time .

I wish I was DONE with mine , LOL !

I'm a-tryin' :) !

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

We tried to do a couple small engine-related things last night , which all went to crap ... so then we wrapped up my wiring to the rear lights & called it a night . At least we got someting done , LOL :D !

17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Well , we made some progress lately - not much , but a bit . We made an exhaust up for my Shoe . To keep with my "penny pincher" theme , it was made at home . The Shoe has a set of Fox Body 'Stang factory headers on it , so I got some cat-less Fox Body 'Stang headpipes I bought at a flea market (modified to fit) , mated to some joiner pipes I had flared to match the ball-socket joints , into a set of Jegs (Flowmaster knock-offs) , into a set of Fox Body pipes over the rear (also bought at a flea market & modded just a bit) & into some straight pipes that run past my gas tank & exit out the rear . We made hangers out of roundbar that use donut-style rubber isolators . All told , less than 200 bux spent on the exhaust & it look pretty good .

Last night , we made another big step . Craig (Legend544) said I needed to get off my ass & start the engine , so that's what we did . It fought us for a bit getting ready , but in the end , started pretty easily & sounds great ! The header paint burned off immediately & filled his shop with smoke , but it was worth it (even set off his smoke alarm , LOL !) . I almost forgot to shoot a video , but I ran & grabbed my camera & shot about a 30-second film . More videos to come , I promise . Just have to finalize the brakes & adjust the shifter so we can get it outside for a total warm-up .

Here's the video - enjoy !

18. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Have not seen one image how does this happen all the time makes me not want to continue reading on what gives?????

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yea , I didn't even notice that !!! What the hell ?? I busted my butt to show lots of pics to make this a how-to as well as a build thread , now it's all blank ! I wonder what I can do - I guess it's all due to the big HAMB switch-over :(

**EDIT** All of my pics are still in my HAMB pic folder named My 49 Shoebox , or something like that , BTW

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I wish I had the answer....but it's not a problem on other thread's pics. Must have something to do with the posts, pic origin, storage medium, etc, etc.

21. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It's weird , cause I saved them on the HAMB , instead of my Photobucket acct. so they'd always be here , even if I ever switched away from Photobucket . I guess my plan was flawed , LOL !!

22. daddio211

daddio211

Gotta post them in the thread itself for posterity's sake.

23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

LOL - I thought that's what I did the first time around !!
    I wonder if I've gotta go back & edit every post , linking the pics again ... what a pain :( ! Plus , I just don't have that kinda time - I wonder who I have to PM to ask what's up ?

24. daddio211

daddio211

You can ask Ryan but I don't think he has time to fix the tens of thousands of posts either.

Last update (or the one before) I learned my lesson. Still, in my own threads where I had loaded and linked photos in the same reply many of those don't work either, but at least the pictures are still with the post.

I've got to go back through the rest of the '27 build and re-insert those pics. One day I'll have time... no I won't.

25. daddio211

daddio211

One other thing, Facebook seems to move picture URL's every four to five months. If you link a FB photo it WILL disappear sooner than later.

26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

[
    I used to link all my pics to my photobucket account , but it was really chewing up my bandwidth , with all the show pics & stuff I was posting . So I figured for this thread , I'd do it all via the HAMB . I know Ryan is busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest , and I'd like to go back & edit them myself , but like you , I just don't have that much time ... this sux .

As of now , no Facebook (or a smartphone) for me , so I don't have to worry about THAT disappointment , ha ha .

daddio211 likes this.
  27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I couldn't take it , so I've started the big task of working my way back through my thread , re-linking my pics . UGH !!

daddio211 likes this.
  28. daddio211

daddio211

29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

LOL -you're right ! It took me friggin' HOURS , but I believe I got the thread almost all caught up . I still have to re-link all of my pics in my shaved trunklid how-to thread ... another night . I'm spent .

daddio211 likes this.
  30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I was over at Craig's shop the last couple nights & did a bit more on the car . We wrapped up small stuff , like the choke & throttle cables , topped-up the trans , adjusted the shifter , bled the brakes .... that kinda stuff . At the end of the night , we tossed the old bench seat in it & took it for it's first spin ! I have to fiddle with the Holley a bit , it has a killer dead spot off idle , which really sucks , but should be fixable (I must've misadjusted something when I rebuilt it) . It felt good to at least run it up the street , even being a really short ride . Unfortunately it was way too dark to shoot a "first ride" video , but I did shoot a short soundclip of the exhaust idle . I should've had Craig rev it up a bit - yea well , there's always next time .

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    daddio211 likes this.