Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Some people's sanity, seriously questionable. That goes for the yard owner too.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pensive Scribe, Aug 8, 2014.

1. I'm still fighting back the tears. I wish this was a "Car Saved Thread", but it's not. Snuck this picture at the "SALVAGE" yard today Aug. 8 2014. Come on people it's not 1970, we're supposed to be smarter than this. This crap has got to stop.

How many "reasonable" excuses can you make up that justifies this?

IMAG1215b.jpg

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You know, there have been people, on this site, who have offered cars and trucks for FREE and no takers. With no details, who are we to question this yard owners sanity? Don't blame the yard owner for working for a living.

3. I figure this Bird to weigh slightly over two tons at $117.00 a ton That's about 250 maybe, if my numbers are off maybe 300 dollars. I'm in "rust never sleeps" territory, a home for it can't be that far away. Even if you ask only $500.00 your making a buck and saving a piece of history. Just my opinion though.

4. I'm with Fred on this one,the car could be a total rust bucket,the drivers side could be gone and having a friend that just finished restoring one of these birds they are EXPENSIVE. HRP

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I do not believe that every old car can be saved. I for one could not own more than I own now, I have no where to put them, and I don't have the wear with all to restore them!
    Yes, it is a shame to see a car like that ruined, but I have seen pictures of once beautiful homes in cities like Detroit in decay and to me that's a bigger shame!
    Just an observation, KK

6. Did you ever consider that maybe the T-Bird came in there with the car already attached to the top?:rolleyes:

7. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Certainly one way to lay frame.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I know some junkyards that will not sell a complete car for any price. They advertise that if you sell your car to them you never need to worry that it will end up on the road, still in your name. They also get cars from car dealers who insist they be scrapped, if they sell one of these cars they will never get another car from a car dealer.

So, they have a policy that you can buy parts but not a whole vehicle.

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the guy that dropped it off couldn't wait for the next demolition derby event?

10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Cars end up with that fate daily around the country.It's a fact.
    Have him remove the car and part that thing out where it sits.That's all it is now is a parts car and there are probably a lot of useable items sitting there.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The yard owner is not insane and not likely stupid.........he just has different priorities than some other people.

if that 'Bird was really worth serious money, rather than just being emotionally appealing to a few people, either it wouldn't have landed there in the first place or the yard owner would have disposed of it in another manner.

On the positive side, remaining 'Birds just got a little bit rarer and potentially a little bit more valuable.

12. 117harv

117harv

^^^ Another high quality post by (mashed)

I do my best to save cars/parts, it's just never ending and over whelming. I can see the owner wanting it gone, but the scrapper is in it for $$$. With a little work he can get 3, 4 or more times scrap.

Make friends with your local scrapper, I have them come by when they have some old car parts, if it's something i'm not interested in, I give him abit of cash for his trouble/gas. I have picked up complete front ends, ie. wishbone, axle, brakes and spring for twice what scrap will bring $30, win win for us both.

13. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

You just have them dismantle the whole car or you dismantle it and than buy each part separately. The dismantler has met the letter of law, made a ton of money and the system got their taxes. How bad do you want it?

14. If you bought something from me, or Walmart, or the grocery store and smashed it in the parking lot I wouldn't give a fuck.

metlmunchr and jadegrenade 51 like this.
  15. mike bowling

mike bowling

16. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

If you really want to save something from the crusher, you better get into the classifieds here on the HAMB! There are a lot of decently priced cars people have been trying to get saved for a long time, that are still for sale. At some point in time, these old cars need to be moved, one way or another. If you can't get anyone willing to cough up a little cash to save a true gem that you have to get rid of, the scrap yard guys always show up promptly and hand you cash.

As an example, I have a 325 Poly motor & trans from my son's 57 Dodge sitting in my yard. It turns over and was supposedly last run in 2001. He is trying to get $125 for it, lots of interest, but no takers at this point. In another month, it will be leaving my yard, one way or the other. If I have to load it on my truck, instead of someone else's, it will be scrap. I would really like to see it saved and used, but we have few options.

Also, in IL, if the scrap yard doesn't have a used car license, he can't legally sell you a car, and if he doesn't have a used parts license, he can't even sell you parts off of it. Both the used car sales license and the used parts license have a lot of paperwork, huge insurance premiums, and a never ending list of requirements to keep some bureaucrats in one or more state offices happy.

I suggest the op step up and save something still available instead of crying over the ones already lost. I'm betting there are more still available then he can afford or has room for. Gene

34toddster likes this.
  17. fortynut

fortynut

Anyone who goes to the slaughter house and watches the process will more than likely not want to order steak when they go out for their next meal. We all know this is part of the process of metal reclamation. Some places it will be ground to shreds and the various metals and materials that went into the making of it separated and sold. Old cars have been done this way since they were first made. Junk yards are different. If you want to find a horse or cow to save you don't go to the slaughter house. To rage against the machine is futile. On the net you can Google 'Search all junk' and plug in whatever vehicle you want and can afford. The Bird was a ghost you saw. It was already gone. Sorry for you loss.

Spoggie likes this.
  18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's nothing. my Volvo was in way better shape than that when I sold it to Pick-n-Pull. even had Volvo aluminum rims and a bike rack on top.

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Still good FE and 9"?

21. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

clem likes this.
  22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

be right back, I need more popcorn

23. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Usually its a bird crapping on someone else's head. This time it was the otherway around.

Spoggie likes this.
  24. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Lighten' up Francis!

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

X2 just because you don't think it's funny doesn't mean it isn't. :)

These threads pop up once in a while, and what people have to realise that to you it may be something neat, to others they are just old disposable cars and there is no way every old car will be saved and loved.
    The rest will go for recycling into new metal for other things and rightly so.

26. I have seen some extremely cool stuff scrapped when the local politicians decided they (we) needed an ordinance against non-operational vehicles in residential areas. Lots of places require ANY vehicle, even a parts car, to be licensed and insured. Can't fight City Hall.

27. True Dat........I live in one of those places. Only OK if it's in an enclosed building. If they can see it they will cite you.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

C1AE-C4AE heads too.

29. So....you tried to buy the wrap around rear seat and front seats? The hubcaps? Since you're offended that the car is squashed, did you save any of the good stuff? I bet the scrapper would sell those parts.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm not that great on mid-year T-birds, what year is that, '65? If its pre-66, I'd like to snag the 9" out of it...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014