Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Holy Time Warp Batman...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Aug 7, 2014.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When R&C got killed, I called and asked what would happen to my subscription. They said they had changed it over to Street Rodder which I was already subscribed to for the next two years. I told them I didn't want that and asked the what else they had. They said Moto Trend. Nope. They said Hot Rod. I said ok.

Today, I got my first look at Hot Rod in a LONG time. It should be called Muscle Car or Car Craft but it damn sure doesn't look like the Hot Rod I remember.

2. slowforty

slowforty

I got mine Changed to Hot Rod Deluxe
    I wont outlive my Hot Rod Subscrition.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I can't remember the last time I even looked at Hot Rod at the newsstand. I used to buy it every month starting around 1973 clear through the 80's when I really stopped buying magazines altogether due to the crap cars that were popular in those days.

4. I had mine switched to Hot Rod Deluxe also.

5. I called and ask for a refund,,,I ain't got it yet and ain't holding my breath!

the Rodders Journal is all I subscribe to now. HRP

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I took the refund.....

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is Hot Rod Deluxe?

8. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Stop. You're killing me.

9. I got mine today too. Hot Rod....man, I didn't know how much my interests have changed since the last time I read that mag...well, actually, THEY are the ones that have changed, not me. There was absolutely nothing in there that interested me at all. Took all of 2 minutes to look through it. They really should change the name of it. I don't have many issues left on my old subscription so I won't worry with changing it.

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I went online and all I see for Hot Rod Deluxe are a few articles from the archives. What is the magazine like? Any tech articles?

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's a "so-so" attempt at catching the traditional hot rod wave. There have been a few issues that were good.

As for Hot Rod, not being about hot rods, why didn't we bitch when they started featuring Van's? Might have made difference. Now, I'm going to lay down in the bed we made, all those years ago.

12. My R&C subscription is up in April 2017, tried to get Hotrod Deluxe also. The lady said they couldn't do it, so I said give me a refund. Will put it towards a subscription to Hotrod Deluxe.

13. I had no trouble switching my R&C remaining months to Hot Rod Deluxe. Maybe they only do that if you already have a sub to HRD?

Hot Rod is not what it once was, that's for sure. 90% of the content does not interest me at all, but there is usually one story in each issue worth the cheap sub price. The interview this month with Tom Jobe is a good read.

14. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Called and asked to extend my Hot Rod Deluxe subscription but was told that was not an option so I extended Street Rodder.

15. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

What gets me about this whole thing is that this large publisher does not realize that the core audience for R&C would naturally gravitate towards Hot Rod Deluxe. Maybe this is why they closed down so many titles. They really have no clue of thier market. If you have not noticed they have been trying to make, at least a small portion of Hot Rod, to be like HRDeluxe. Other titles such aa Elapsed Time have also popped up. Maybe they should talk to Ryan or Steve Coonan to figure this out.

They tried to give me Motor Trend.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  16. Agreed. They have no clue about the people buying their magazines. Motor Trend?? I don't need to know, nor do I give a shit, how a Lambo compares to a Ferrari.

17. I have subscribed to Hot Rod, Car Craft, and Rod and Custom since 1956, yes, I am an old timer. they switched me over to Motor Trend. if I wanted that rag, I would have subscribed to it a long time ago. I would have preferred to extend my subscription to Street Rodder. when my subscriptions to Hot Rod, and Car Craft run out, I will not re-subscribe to them to help keep their circulation numbers up. The magazine management seem to listen to the bean counters, and not the people that actually purchase their magazines. And they wonder why sales have fallen. They don't have a clue. It is pretty bad when you have an enthusiast magazine and the writers can't get the year or model correct in the articles that they write. nick.

Dean Lowe likes this.

18. DING ! DING !
    We have a winner !

19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Magazine management???

It's bigger than than that. It's multi billion investment groups. They destroy what takes decades, centuries to build. It's not even about the bottom dollar it's bigger than that. It's about indoctrination and Their world view.
    You see hot rods pollute. Every time a V8 cranks the temp rises a degree somewhere, at least in their world. After all they are all products of the higher Edumacation/Indoctrination system.
    DuPont investment advised, paint is a dirty business.
    S&W,Winchester,Remington, Marlin's Investment groups consider guns a dirty business, what happens, mergers and closings The brand names are not in control.
    Same with Steel
    Same with Fossil Fuel

Is it a big mystery that the magazines that were done way with happen to advocate old time vehicles, budget builds that translate to a measure of independence?

You see my fellow sheeple, we need Motor Trend and the fuel efficient indoctrination that goes with it. I'm surprised they did not offer Time or Rolling Stone.

20. ken1939

ken1939

Same thing happend a few years ago, Legendary Ford Magazine finally succumbed to the financial issues of 2009, they offered a Mustang magazine, not the same.
    My nephew thinks Hot Rod is great, he likes Friebergers Road Kill Episodes. Lost on me, I think they are stunts. Really do not care for any of todays magazines.

21. vintage_mpg

vintage_mpg

I'm with you...but I'm so hungry for something to feed my addiction that I'll take Hot Rod and Street Rodder, etc...just too feed the beast!