Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39 Cadillac Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CadMad, Aug 8, 2014.

1. CadMad

CadMad

I'm now progressing on my 39 Cad custom that Rik Hoving helped style. I have a few pics on the http://www.customcarchronicle.com/ . Suffering withdrawal whilst the site is down for maintenance till the 13 Aug.
    The car is my after hours project . I got stuck in a few weeks ago and did a lot of the major cut and shut. Now all the small detail work will be my focus over the next few weeks. I am juggling between my home computer (that I can type on) and my ph (that has all the pics). Pictures will start to follow shortly.
    Car had a really nice rust free body but had been stripped of many items for a V16 restoration. I didn't need another project but when I head that the car might go to the grave , well I had to put up my hand.

2. CadMad

CadMad

here goes.

Attached Files:

3. CadMad

CadMad

first cut is the deepest. rps20140717_203947.jpg rps20140718_150004.jpg

4. CadMad

CadMad

second cut is painless.... rps20140718_150056.jpg [ rps20140720_112556.jpg rps20140722_225030.jpg rps20140723_103702.jpg rps20140731_085112.jpg rps20140718_150056.jpg [ [[/ATTACH] [[/ATTACH] rps20140731_085112.jpg rps20140724_175224.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Squablow likes this.

5. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

Cool, love the look. Great work keep it up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

This is going to be cool. Subscribed.

7. Man that thing is really cool!!! Love the third pic by Rik!. Hang in there you have something special going on. Tim

8. Torchie

Torchie

Great look.
    I remember this from Riks site. Glad to see you moving forward on it.
    Torchie.

9. So sweet!
    Where you get that thing?
    I want a ride when it's done....

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wow, ambitious. Subscribed.

11. CadMad

CadMad

sorry for thephoto double up. not sure what i did wrong there.

Attached Files:

12. fleet-master

fleet-master

Awesome potential here for a very cool custom, looking forward to seeing it with the rear lowered :)

13. CadMad

CadMad

Yes I am looking for advice on getting the bum down. Got to be careful how I do this if I want to avoid registration dramas here in OZ. Car will be either regoed in WA or Qld. Depending on my address when I get closer to completion. I work in Perth but live in Brisbane. Car is in Perth.
    I can't really C notch over the diff without going for engineer reports. Hoping to avoid that stuff so I am trying to keep the drivetrain relatively stock.. I don't want it lying on the ground. Just 4 or 5 inches lower in the rear would be great. Front can stay where it is. Should I reset the springs , use different shackles and does anyone know the regs on acceptable use of lowering blocks ?.
    This is being built as a period/ factory/ coachbuilt custom. I'm trying not to go past 46 47 ( I have a tonne of 46 47 bits spare) in my use of parts and trying to stay loyal to Cadillac/GM parts usage (within reason).
    Bumpers are sectioned 46 Cad fronts which you can see presently on the front. Rear presently has an earlier 30s bar that is going. Really gives it a more streamlined appearance just the bumper update alone. Can't wait to put on the rear bar. Also using 47 Sombreros.
    I will be improving safety issues like the original door locks which are hopelessly inadequate. I'm looking at Eberhard rotary bearclaws. More advice needed?? . . . and thinking Lincoln pushbuttons. (1938 Buick Y job used very similar, if not identical.)
    Cad will have removable hardtop roof as well as a modified and shortened 46 Cad conv soft top mechanism that will hide beneath the steel hinged parade boot. Boot will stay in place when hardtop is used.
    Taillights were missing so I filled the original taillight holes and will probably go for simple round red lenses in the 46 dagmars. That said I have found some original 39 Taillights in great condition. They are gorgeous art deco masterpieces but I am not sure if they suit the smooth, flowing, streamlined look I am trying to achieve. Will have to progress a little further for me to decide .
    Color will probably stay green but I am more concerned with having good metalwork than fancy paint. I can see the interior in two tone green. Simple. Clean. Streamlined.
    I want to say again how much I appreciate Rik's assistance . His site is down till Aug 13 getting maintenance but I have a link there that I will post later that shows how the ideas flowed back and forth between Australia and the Netherlands. I go back to Perth on Tues so will start plodding away on the small stuff soon.

14. 'Mo

'Mo

15. CadMad

CadMad

The cut and shut on the extended doors has created a slight wave on the top bead (that I will probably cut off) that will be rectified once I get the locks sorted. Presently it is making me want to put an ever so faint dip or at least a taper there. I was looking at a 54 Cad conv yesterday. That's all I'd want.. . . an inch if that. I have to get the hardtop sorted before I consider the Darrin Dip. As you can see in my avatar I have a 53 Eldo. They have the dip. Became a Cadillac styling feature so I am not adverse to considering it.

16. Drop in before you go back to Perth, see what you think of these bear claws.

17. fleet-master

fleet-master

Have a look at Vauxhall Vagabond doors, they have shape in the top which could look good, are close to the era (made by Holden in OZ ) and are GM cousin of Cadillac. Stay away from bear claws is my advice,quality and locking issues with them I have found.
    De-arching the leafs and a lowering block would be a good start to lowering the rear if you are allowed.
    I have a cock-relation in Baltata(sp?) if you get stuck I could ask him if he knows whats allowed.

Keep up the good work. Rik's site is pretty good too aye,I have a build thread on there too. lol

18. Torchie

Torchie

Agree with fleet-master in regards to the spring/lowering blocks. That would be the easiest way. But I also think that you may end up bringing down the front end just a little. Possibly only an inch or so.
    Will you have to do any floor modifactions to allow for torque tube clearence?
    I am suscribing to this thread if I can remeber how. LOL
    Torchie.

grifcarnut likes this.
  19. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Subscribed, what you've done looks good so far.

20. williebill

williebill

Looks great so far. Thanks for posting.

21. A Sixty Special is a gorgeous car in original form. Rik's rendering and your faithful execution will make a killer looking ride! Good go!

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

What Uncle Bob said.

23. I like where this is heading!

jakespeed63 likes this.
  24. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

OH MY GOD, this is one of the COOLEST cars I have ever seen! Keep it up the excellent work!

25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Wow! Looks like you're on your way to a great success!
    Keep at it and please continue to share your progress with us.

26. What a cool project and proud to be a fellow Dutchman like Rikster :)

27. OLLIN

OLLIN

What an improvement to the roof line!

28. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

I'm along for the ride on this one. Holy smokes its got lines like I've never imagined. Those Caddy's formal rooflines weren't flattering and this...is art. Good job so far!

29. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

YES! im looking forward to fallowing this one.