Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

2. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

3. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

This is what I have figured up so far. The bracket that holds the pulley itself will be broke at 90 degrees and the rest will just all weld and bolt together
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391614189.882833.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Assembled like this

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391614967.388862.jpg

5. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell ya nice work.. getting down to the wire....

6. redzula

redzula

Timing belt tensioner for a 99-01 Civic SI I know I know but its small, steel, and could probably work with a custom made bracket to hold it. I'll track down a picture when I get off work.

7. redzula

redzula

Whoops looks like you already got it sorted somewhat

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

heck I was following the g/f .... I have an "A" ....................

9. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Couldn't resist today .it was 55 and we had clean roads. I'm getting the car all cleaned up for the Cleveland show Thursday . So it needed a good bath . We put 50 miles on today in the main highways. Nice clean trip . It sure was great to get it out. I took my brother for ride. His model a isn't done yet so this gave him done serious motivation!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394584423.348653.jpg

10. redzula

redzula

I would never get tired of that view while driving. One of my all time favorite HAMB builds. You ever make it to Iowa with it you'll have to give me a ride.

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Today I took the car out. It was nice and sunny. About 30 miles into the day the car started running terrible. . No power , you couldn't put it under a load , I almost didn't make it home .
    I told my self last year I wanted to pull the blower this year before the driving season and make sure it's still all tight and in good shape after almost 5000 miles of driving last year. So today. It came off. I installed one of the carb back on the motor and out we went. It was sooo much better. I'm having timing troubles with the supercharger . It's retarding too much and it's killing it I believe. With the motor back to stock. The car has tons of power and accelerates hard and smooth. It runs excellent .so it's just going to be more tuning of the timing brake on the dizzy. I'm going to leave the blower off for a while .. It's kind of nice to drive with out it. It's easier to leave an intersection and the motor is a lot more responsive instead of it feeling like your driving a generator.
    I also put the hood back on . When I built this car I had no intentions of ever putting the hood back on. I noticed my radiator and grill need moved out 1/2". So tomorrow ill get to that and I think I need to install a new gas pedal and throttle linkage. This summer I am driving this car to Rockwell nc. So I want it to be reliable and basic .
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396845149.955849.jpg

12. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

I got working on the pickup this weekend. Bad gas. Drained the tank. charged the battery and cleaned the plugs. Boom! Ready to rock!

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

my car had the same bad gas, dirty plugs. i changed all that and it still just wasnt up to par.. it runs so great with one carb so i will drive the wheels off it for a while with the hood on. Just to enjoy it without working on it all summer!!

You need to venture this way in that truck! it would be a good trip

14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I haven't done much to the model a in a while other than driving the wheels off of it .. I drove to Erie saturday to meet the rolling bones for lunch... that Friday night I was planning on reinstalling the supercharger but I needed to true up the gasket surfaces on the manifold adapter .. when they brazed the adapter back together , it was very crooked. So I clamped it to the bed on the bridgeport and flattened it out. It's much better now . Should make a much better gasket surface.

Saturday, Dave carter and I left Hadley around 10 am... we ran up r 19, crossed over to rt 98 towards erie.. this was the way they used to go before the interstate was put in.. is a 60 mile scenic old 2 lane highway that has almost no traffic . My brother was going to lead the way heading north , but ended up having an issue with the pin in the driveshaft coming out and making some noise. So he headed back for home.

So Dave and I went on without him. We spend the day In erie talking to Ken and Keith, Richie and fred, among the other followers of the bones .it was a great time.

The weather alerts started flowing in about 3 oclock. So Dave headed for home.. he didn't make it in time.. I headed for home about 4 and hit a monsoon 45 miles from home.. it was a serious rain, wind and lightening storm.. but the flathead kept pulling along at 65 through the puddles. .

Yesterday . We took the model a, along with my brothers sedan to cranberry pa . About 50 miles north of home. There was a late evening cruise in supporting a local church that we decided to go to. It's in the mountains of oil city and Franklin.. some large long sloped hills to pull. But both cars did great and never left 3rd gear. No heating issues with my brothers sedan . We have been fighting it due to some scale that came loose in the block and clogged the radiator..

But after a few hours of talking to every old timer there, we turned on the headlights and headed for home.. I installed some late 50s bulbs that my buddy Alvin gave me in a zip lock baggy ..he said just put them in and they will be bright as hell.. and man o man was he right they are 3 times brighter than before. It looks like 12 volt low beams now! I can't out run them that's for sure. I may have to turn the generator up due to the power they use. But it's much nicer to drive at night now...

This coming Saturday we have the Franklin pa drive and fly in at the Franklin airport on rt 8... then Sunday is metal eds backyard bbq! Gonna be a great weekend !
    I've attached quite a few pics of theses updates. . Enjoy

Attached Files:

drmrman likes this.
  15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Here are area few more.. one from my buddies with his 58 pontiac.. and look at my radiator.... that shows the miles I drove latley!

Attached Files:

16. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

a short video driving beside a stone wall and the allegheny river.

daddio211 likes this.
  17. Mart

Mart

Nice pics. Thanks for the update.

Mart.

18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

We made a pit stop last night an old garage about an hour or so from home. It was a good photo point and I picked up a nice set of guide headlights while I was there

Attached Files:

daddio211 and drmrman like this.
  19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

We also look at some old trucks he had

Attached Files:

drmrman likes this.
  20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Your B & W pics are just too cool!

21. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

22. I dig the grey wheels, whitewalls, and caps.

23. Lol, or not.....guess I was a few pages too late. Thanks for the read. Nice car, nice work.

24. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i liked the steel wheels also. but i wanted the pre war look. thats what i built the car to be.. but i ruined that with the white walls.. so they are on there way out the door also for a new set of black walls. it would be shame to jsut turn the white to the inside! :)

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I have been driving the coupe now all summer without the supercharger. Saturday we attended metal eds bbq and the first thing ed said to me when I pulled in was " your missing something and I don't like it" then he smiled. So I decided it's time to get the thing fixed and back together. I've been asked about 3 dozen times where it was or if I sold it. The biggest problem I found was someone had cut down the intake adapter and brazed it back together. When they did that. It was crooked and leaking. Plus a home made spacer was not helping the matters.. so I got to work and milled out a new spacer. I trued up the adapter on the mill also. we reinstalled the blower with all new seals, gaskets and new fuel lines... it now sits level in the car instead of leaning and It doesn't leak a drop of oil. This adapter I made is a temp fix. A gentleman I have been I'm contact with is restoring a mcculloch supercharger. He has the same issue I did. So he cast a new adapter for his and he is currently doing one for mine. So when I get the raw casting, i can mill it all out and make it factory appearing again. Here are area few pics of the parts.

Attached Files:

daddio211 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  26. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

27. Great Thread & A

28. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I had to design and fab up a bell crank setup for the throttle. Previously it had a cable setup. I tried to just run a few mechanical rods and it was just impossible . So I came up with a short tower to bolt to the intake and hold the bell cranks that I made. They are bronze brushed and the allow ten inches of height to the throttle. This setup works... it may not be the most eye catcher but there really isn't to many other ways to get the job done.

Attached Files:

29. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers