Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ditch the whitewalls and go with redlines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 440Dave, Aug 8, 2014.

?
  1. Wide whites

43.8%
  2. Redlines

56.3%
  1. Our 60 Ventura is in the mood for some new tires, I'm thinking a bit of a change-up is in order, the more I think about it the more I'm inclined towards a set of redline radials in the same sizes. 09mrpaug2-084.jpg

2. Leave the whites is my vote. Car was built a few years before redlines hit the scene.
    I think Redlines were introduced in the fall of '63 as the 1964 cars came on the scene.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

in my view half the cars I see with wide whites would look better with something else.

I'd be more concerned about the 17.50 time on the widow. I ran 17.50's in my HOT ROD Datsun pickup.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Hey, he's from British Columbia.....maybe that's his kilometer time........ :D

Speedy Canuck likes this.

5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

X2

6. I see blackwalls or thin white walls. HRP

jcmarz likes this.
  7. I figured by 1960 the wide whites were on the out, and not many guys would have flamed etc a brand new car, but likely would have once it was a few years old. I'm not a big 'Period Correct' guy, but I'm thinking this might have been the 'look' one may have seen for this car around 64-67, with the flames and the california rake, the redlines might look good. I like the whites but dig a change now and then, plus the redlines are a little cheaper. The downside: I really only need front tires. Might be able to get 100 bucks for the back ones. Another idea: You can only look at 1 side at a time, redlines on the port side and whites on the starboard.

8. Ha, the 17.50 was while battling a little carb issue, gave myself a 1 second cushion in case of erratic stumble off the start(the brakes were working fine). Still a low 16 car, at the end of the day I get a lot more racing for my money than those poor guys in their 9 second rides.

9. I dont think that Poncho is that fast-if it is- better get a cage in it

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

My vote would be for thin whites, redlines seem a little to muscle-car like. I voted to stay with the wide whites in the poll.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thin whites and full caps.

12. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Thin whites

From Austinrod

13. The redlines would look good with the dark rims and the red roof. And yeah, a guy would have had those on that car in '67.

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

Thin whites, though in '60 you could probably get away with semi-wide whites. A street/track car would most likely sport thin whites on front and blackwall cheaters on the back, all on black steel rims, no caps.
    Always liked that style Poncho, nice ride.

15. THE wide whites only look good on pre-40s cars....jmho...this car is to old for redlines BUT I think the 1 inch wide whitewall would look good

16. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Put the bong away.

17. norm ricardo

norm ricardo

Thin whites

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When we ran Fremont (Cent. CA) they timed the 17 + second cars with a sun dial.
    My mother's '56 Ford Sunliner turned 14.50s...stock. (Chevy crybabies protested and Hillary tore it down! Couldn't find 'it'. LOL Hillary was also blinded by the glare of the Chevy bowtie...)

19. The poncho was a class winner at Fremont on some weekend in the early 60s, still has a faded decal in the back window and had a broken trophy in the trunk with all the other 60s racing junk. The trophy's plaque was long gone but it had no plastic on it, all metal and wood so was likely period correct.

20. Squablow

Squablow

I love redlines to death and I don't think they get near enough use, that said, I don't think they're right for this car. But neither are the wide whites, they're a bit too 50's for a '60 shooting for a mid 60's look. Chrome OE or reversed chrome steel wheels with a 1" or 1 1/2" whitewall would look perfect, would nail down the mid 60's look you're shooting for and not cost a fortune either.

Ive found that used WWW tires are really easy to sell, so I don't think you'll have a problem selling your good rears to someone. They'll probably want the worn-out fronts, too!

21. It has the stock 8 bolt rims and aluminum drums which I love, wouldn't change those.

22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

23. Muttley

Muttley

OK, you asked so...........yes, Red Line tires would be a huge improvement on that car, the WWW's look horrible. While you're at it paint the wheels a contrasting color.............black car with black wheels is not a good look IMO. You also might seriously consider ditching the flames, they don't belong on that car.

slammed likes this.
  24. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I'm thinking a nice raised white letter tire with gold anodized moon wheel discs.

25. Ok.....ditch the flames...paint it inca gold, some chrome reverse wheels, thin whites....oh and lower it....you asked for it

26. Squablow

Squablow

8 lug wheels are cool, I wouldn't change those either. But I can't even tell in those pics that they're 8 lugs, the blacked out paint makes them look like plain ol' steelies from a distance. Painting and detailing the 8 lug wheels back to silver with some polishing would do the car a lot of good. I could see 8 lug wheels with a thinner whitewall, redlines, or even gold stripes, but not wide whites.

I think posting your picture in the Photoshop thread so you can see exactly what it'll look like with different tire types would be the way to go. No need to chance it with just a mental image, seeing it in a picture makes all the difference.

I have to agree with Muttley on the flames, I like flames, but I don't think they really fit that car, especially if you're going to run 8 lugs and redlines.

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Flames and wide whites not doing it. Redlines or blackwalls.

28. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Double piner-whites on the front. Blackwall cheaters on the back.

So, neither of your options...

29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I think the wide whites are really more of a lost 60s thing...60-64. Just about all factory advertisements of that era have WWT even more so than the 50s when you see a lot of blackwalls. 50s t0 late 50s hard times. 61-3 things started to open up a bit.
    So flames and white walls/blackwalls you can't go wrong.
    Redlines and glitter, maybe if you want to join the pseudo 60s bandwagon as it seems the page is turning. Redlines and flames, that may be a confused look.
    Remember though, flames and WWT were period then, quaint in the smoothie pastel billet days, mainstream for a while, now it seems to be turning.
    In short traditional flames and wheel treatment on that car may not be in the latest style, but it will never really be out of style.

30. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

Thin whites would look better on that car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!