Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 28 RPU "problem child" build thread "first try at a hotrod"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twenty8tudor, Jun 15, 2014.

1. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

I should have started this thread along time ago but have been busy with a little bit of everything. Just a heads up warning i tend to be worse then a teenager about pictures i probably tend to take more then i should.. most of these and other stuff i mess around with can be seen on my Instagram user name jared_lapp

long story short..

bought my first A off the Bay 28 tudor sedan "hints the user name" brought it back home and got connected with some local hot rod guys due to the sedan.... which in the process of building the sedan, i had mentioned looking for a RPU that i could drive around...which to my luck and demise of my bank account from then on one of the guys had one.

the day i brought it home
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

some spare parts it came with.. it was running off the boat tank in the bed with an electric pump
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaned the tank, adjusted the brakes, ran some new fuel lines and had it on the road and drove it for the summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its late but will post more build pics though out the week

comments,suggestions,donations, and help always welcome haha

Hope you enjoy

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Looks like a really nice start. What are your plans?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. dgg-dt1948

dgg-dt1948

Looks good to me!

4. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Thanks its taken a bit of work to get to this point so far.

story contiued bought a merc flathead off Craigslist for 500 bucks and got an extra bell along with it.. heard it run on a stand and sounded and carried good oil pressure..so i bought it and it turned out to be not so good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

main bearings were shot and after stripping down found one of the pistons didnt have any rings on it and was broke... had a local machine shop fix the valve seats and few cracks it had so now i have a usable block and crank for a different project down the road. will post more pics and such later this evening...

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

stripped it down to bare frame and removed x-members to box the frame. Bought some boxing plates from someone off the board but cant remember who....but the fit perfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

made some cross braces stacked weights on the ends of the frame and welded in short sections and jumped all over to keep it from moving to much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and replaced the front busted cross member
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

welded the wrong size nuts inside the frame and didnt realize it till after i had it all welded... turned out some plugs, threaded them and welded them in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

set the cowl back on to try and get the body lined up
    had the original axle dropped by joes speed shop in Oklahoma. Hell of a nice guy and even better work. He set me up with a pair of spindles and new wilson welding brakes for the front.
    [​IMG]
    The sub structure that was in the RPU wasnt even close to right and they had the panels scabbed onto it. all with bondo covering holes that had what looked to be flashing to keep it from falling through..so got a new set from brookeville roadster.
    [​IMG]

6. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Cut about 2.250" out of window post and started digging into why the body lines were off a little bit.

[​IMG]

turns out someone liked bondo and rivets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and at the bottom there was a piece bent to cover the rust then just leaded on. i cut off the bottom of the inner structure and made a new one. then bought a new door skin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. agshelby

agshelby

Looks like a great start - will be following. Too bad about the rust/bondo/rivetss, but looks like you have the skill to get through it.

8. It looks like that '28 is in good hands, good luck to you. Mine started rough, too.
    28rp.jpg DSC09123.JPG

9. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

Cool build, following for inspiration.

"Insert Epic Quote Here"

10. Looks like you are doing a good job on it.
    As far as suggestions, I think you should run it without a top and sell me your top..:rolleyes:

11. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Thanks! your RPU looks great! Really like the color....glad you raised it up from the first picture.

Thanks i hope it helps in some way!

More then likely i will be running some sort of aftermarket top being that i took 2.5" out of the post, not 100% sure quite yet but if i happen not to run the original you will be the first to know.

but went to a couple shows and have not had time to update till today so here is a little more story/progess

clamped the doors and back panels on to see what i needed to do with the door hinges on the new cowl post. was not aware that they made patches for the lower section of the post or i would have just bought them and patched instead of buying complete post from brookeville.

[​IMG]

I had to bend the flange that the cowl panels attach to in a little more and also bend and grind the flange where the top window rail goes and gind a lot away to get the window post to fit down on them.

next was to get the front axle hanging so i took some flat plate and welded a thicker piece to the top to make a spring clamp so it would bolt to the tabs i welded onto the front cross member, so i didnt have to use u bolts.

[​IMG]

I was able to score a decent deal on a lathe off a guy that is in our local group of car guys, clausing 10x36 with some tooling.

[​IMG]

never ran one before to messed around with some plastic stock before cutting metal. But first step was to cut out some bushing for the stock front spring out of some scrap bar i had laying around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

borrowed a set of wheels and tires to see how it would sit after having the stock axle dropped 3"

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, Hotrodmyk and sko_ford like this.
  12. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Next thing i did was to make a set of motor mounts... seen a lot of the box tubing ones cut and shaped but i thought i would try something a little different or at least a different approach.
    [​IMG]
    all out of flat steel made the top and then tacked and heated and bent my around the top of it.

in the mean time i picked up another flattie off CL had to drive over to PA to pick it up, said to be a good flathead and the guy swapped it out for a built and polished merc that he built in his 37.
    [​IMG]

got it home and unloaded safely
    [​IMG]

filled the choke rod hole and cut through where the stock recess is in the firewall and marked back about 1" to lay the center back and round the corner due to where a friend of mines RPU hits the corner of the passenger side head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

told a buddies that stopped overs dog to fetch the hoist time to test fit the motor...
    [​IMG]

sitting on tacked in motor mounts
    [​IMG]

throwing the towel in for this evenings update
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  13. Great work! Keep it up!

14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

X2!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

15. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Thanks!!! I hope it all turns out in the end!

Next i had some c channel made up at a local metal shop then i brought it home and pie cut in two places so i could bend the angel and tacked it back together and on the frame.
    [​IMG]

Put the master cylinders in place and still working on where to mount the pedals so i can start making them.
    [​IMG]

Next was onto the rear axle...I have never narrowed one up before and figured i would give it a go.

donor axle is out of a 78-79 bronco
    [​IMG]

ended up taking a total of 10" out to get back to the same width as a stock A rear axle. I think i ended up taking 2.125" out of one side and 7.875" out of the other to center the pinon.
    [​IMG]

clamped and lightly tacked all the way around and tried to stay 180 degrees away from the tack i just did.
    [​IMG]

used bigger clamps and welded in short sections and also jumped around as i went. ground the high spots off then used a worn out flap wheel to smooth it up.
    [​IMG]

took measurements and ordered axles and they seem to fit and turn good and all the measurements check out so i think it will work.
    [​IMG]

thats all for today best get back to work..

chryslerfan55, bct and Hotrodmyk like this.
  16. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

been busy at home working on the RPU among other things.. havent had time to add to the thread so heres a little bit more

added onto the house in the fall so i could do more work at my house

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

back to the actual build.....

looked through cokers site and matched some wood up to the tire size. drilled a center hole then used a piece of scrap flat aluminum to draw out the circle to cut.

[​IMG]

made these spring hangers to put the spring behind the axle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

end result... cut them off because they didnt work the way i wanted them to and also didnt have the right height spring to even come close

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  17. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

ended up using a mount that i had made before the others

cut the bottom part flat and reused the pipe i had bored for the shackle
    [​IMG]

using a medium arch rear spring from speedway...doesnt have enough arch in it to clear the shackles on the outside edge of the frame....still have to work that one out
    [​IMG]

now that it was sitting on its own..jumped back to the cab for a bit..
    after watching davids video...his board name is @Mindover with some scrap steel hammer and flattened chisel i made some supports for the front cowl post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

picked up a nice set of 18" wires and a good drivers side rear fender at a local swap meet. STILL NEED A GOOD PASSENGER SIDE rear fender

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  18. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

next thing is i wanted to make some rear bars that resembled split bones...

started with round pipe and some flat stock
    [​IMG]

chalked lined the pipe and cut it on both sides with a grinder.
    [​IMG]

pried the pipe apart and fit a piece of flat in the void
    [​IMG]

tack welded together
    [​IMG]

finished welded and ground then hand sanded the welds smooth...turned some bushings out and tapped to 3/4 thread and used mid to late 90s dodge tie rods
    [​IMG]

cut down through the end of the bar and used a piece of 1/4" plate that runs all the way through welded top and bottom
    [​IMG]

made mounts for axle and tacked on
    [​IMG]

19. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Thanks @Flowmeister..... i havent seen much of you on instagram....miss seeing that truck build on there. :)

20. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

almost up to where the build currently is...

made some quarter panel support brackets out of some scrap steel i had laying around to copy brookville supports that i borrowed off of a local guy..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

set in place then tacked in....brookville is on the left
    [​IMG]

next inline was the mounts for the top so i could put the sub structure in that i had made awhile back.
    [​IMG]

then tack the substructure together
    [​IMG]

used a sledge hammer and jack stands and worked slow to curve the square tubing to match the contour of the quarter panels
    [​IMG]

21. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

tires showed up from coker from the pre order deal that was run on here.... needless to say i was excited!!
    [​IMG]

finally was able to use the TP tools turbine paint sprayer i bought probably over a year ago.
    [​IMG]
    nice not having to have a compressor close

went to the guys house i bought the RPU off of and had him help me put the tires on... which left me with an itch due to poison ivy..
    [​IMG]

started working on a trans mount... have it tacked together but side work has me busy at night for a couple weeks.
    [​IMG]

as she sits now
    [​IMG]

700x18s in the rear and 600x16s up front. will be full fendered when finished.

resting the torch for a bit to get side work done to help pay for parts then back to the build.....
    [​IMG]
    updates from now on will be real time i guess you could say.....

22. I gotta take my hat off to you,that truck is gonna be a knock out! :)HRP

Hnstray, yruhot and twenty8tudor like this.
  23. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

I must be on the right track then! Thanks a million!! Seeing the positive responses kicks me in the rear a little more to get it done.

I take it as a high compliment coming from someone like you that knows more then a thing or two about hotrods!

24. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Was able to get a little bit done today...

Finished up the trans mount that I made out of leftover pieces from making the rear bars.

drilled the holes in the frame x member. Had to use a right angle drill due to lack of room.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1407615529.997702.jpg

Tack welded the frame x member on a little heavier and set the trans and motor weight on it.... And it didnt hit the floor! Haha
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1407615608.558647.jpg

First time in probably a year and a half it has sat with motor and trans weight on the car and no jack stands.

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  25. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

****OPINIONS NEEDED****

trying to decide of I should run a new fold down top or rework the stock one so I can take it apart to store it...

If I use the stock one I have to shorten and narrow it a bit anyway so could work the breakdown into how I cut it down...

Not sure i like the look when the tops are all folded down and piled up on the back of the cab..

And last opinion is to copy the original style top out of heavier material and have it able to be broke down.

Here are some pics with the stock top loosely set on.... Post are cut 2.5-2.750"

ImageUploadedByTJJ1408160112.166353.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1408160128.497967.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1408160146.401307.jpg

And a pic for shits and giggles to end

ImageUploadedByTJJ1408160186.017012.jpg

26. clem

clem

Not sure why you want opinions. Looks pretty good so far. Thanks for taking us along for the build.

27. Roupe

Roupe

Looks great! Keep posting

28. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Thanks for the kind words..... I always like to ask what other people think or see.

Already happened more then a couple times someone said that won't work that way or this looks is works better.

29. brady1929

brady1929

Looks great

Asphalt Demon likes this.