Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I had Murphy as a co-pilot all weekend too...the next race against the ole 56 won't be so easy for ya.:D

Meltdown Drags
    July 17,18,19 2015

30dodgeboy likes this.
  2. Next year I'm gonna have a wild squirrel jump up on your cowl, as the second to last amber goes on to distract, you..,but I gotta check and see if "Moon Rocket" is available next year? Scott, do you have his cell# ?

3. Panney...yer killin me!!!!!

4. :)

5. Thats ok Scott, I just remembered "Moon Rockets" # myself, its (BLA)BLA-BLAH

6. Hey Chief, let me know what metering rods you need, I have a gazillion.

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!

:D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

I have been sitting back reading all the responses to this great event. I was fortunate
    to be one of the "White Shirts"( aka MDA volunteer )Saturday and Sunday. Great bunch of guys to work with.
    It was truly awesome the amount of fans and racers that stopped me and thanked me ( The MDA )
    for this event. I don’t know the names of them , there are some on here. I was at the end of track
    watching from there a few times. The driver of the Evil Twin, and Blew By You were two of them
    also from the pits was Yesterdays Child.
    Thank you all that made this event happen.
    Jim

30dodgeboy likes this.
  9. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks for the offer. I had a carter electric pump that was just 100 gph I thought was good enough for the 389 now not enough for the 455, I have a 150 gph aeromotive pump coming and see how that goes before I start messing with the carb.

It was nice meeting you, hopefully by next year or sooner all of our cars will be sorted out .

10. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ric,I'm in a blind panic over here...!!!

I seem to have misplaced my BFF's phone number..!!!

Woe is me...Think of all the fun activities I'm missing out on:

-talking about shit I know nothing about

-switching sides in the middle of an argument

-being a general buzzkill and pain in the ass

-arguing with guys with decades of experience to my 10 minutes of reading Car Craft

And my personal favorite:

Putting the big tires on the FRONT of the car! :D

Scott

11. Watch your fuel pressure, Q-jets won't handle much over 6 psi, especially with a big need/seat, and, or the smallest floats

12. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I thought there was a difference what they could handle depending on what year they were? Mine is a 73 800 cfm Buick carb. I was running 7 .

13. 7psi, going down track, or 7psi, idling. If 7 psi idling, that little Carter pump probably wasn't keeping it a much more than 3 psi, on a run. I did the same thing when I was 18 years old on my sleeper '65 Olds Dynamic 88 4 door. It had a souped up 425 Olds, and I had a fuel psi guage on the cowl. The Carter wouldn't hold much more than 3 psi, and the car would laydown.., hello Holley Blue W/regulator (the "Standard" of electric fuel pumps back in the day) When my roommate (Rick Roberts and I built our 72 Chevelle wagon back in the late 80's, I used one of those huge Stewart Warner electric pumps that "ticks" as the pressure builds, then stops.., 3 psi @ wide open throttle also. Now I know why lots of old race car pics with the Stewart Warner pumps, show two at a time. Hello Holley Blue & regulator again. Your Buick 800, should have a "straight in from the front" fuel inlet angle, compared to the more common 90' angle versions, so its a little less restrictive to fuel getting in the bowl (as a rule of thumb, every 90' bend, in a 3/8 to 1/2 fuel line the approximately the same restriction as 5-6 inches of more fuel line. The "windowed" needle seats, flow better, but some think they may cause more float instability, I've never found that to be true. The biggest problem with Q-Jets, and float control is the smaller float surface area actually in the fuel, (compared to a 4150 style, or Dominator Holley, so less mechanical leverage against the needle to shut of higher fuel psi. The single feed 4160 style Holleys, Carter AFB's, AVS's, 4-Jets, WCFB's, and just about every other carb has the same issue as the Q-jet. Remember, fuel volume is more important than fuel psi, as long as there is adequate fuel available to keep the jets covered/feed the engine, the psi, becomes secondary. Ultimately, I would drill and tap the fuel inlet housing, and use a #3 or #4 fuel return line, and use a constant delivery system instead of a dead head setup. If you want to use a trick mechanical pump without a regulator, check out RobbMc Performance Products, they work, just get one that flows at a constant 6-7psi, and leave the regulator at home.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  14. I have a pair of performance producrs regulators i took off my car when i went to efi. They are high quality with returns. Also adjustable. Pm me if you need then.

15. 55chieftain

55chieftain

My fuel system is a sumped cell, -10 to pump and to Aeromotive return regulator, -8 return and -8 to carb. I tapped the factory carb fitting for 3/8 npt and have a -8 fitting. 100 micron filter before pump and 40 micron after pump, both Robbmc filters. Aeromotive doesn't show an after filter in the pump diagrahm so maybe not use it? I just don't think the carter pump is close to whats needed now , I got the one thats 16 or so psi so I could turn it down at the regulator. I haven't monitored the pressure on a run, just at idle. The new pump is here I just haven't had the time to get it installed. If all else fails my buddy has a Race Demon 950 he's been trying to get me to keep on the car instead of the qjet.

16. with that big fuel system that gets the gas out by the gallons what do you have for a vent. a plastic fuel cell may not have the correct venting. a lot of guys over look this important detail. on my car i have two #8s. on the meth tank i have two also. is the tank baffled in some way.? if it has the foam inside it i have seen it create a restriction. the returns should not be placed on the same side or close to the pick up. aerated fuel is not a good thing for the pump to suck up. i hope you get it figured out.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  17. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks, I have a -6 vent on the top of the cell going to the trunk floor, also the return is on the top of the cell, the -10 is off the bottom of the sump. I'm using the foam inside. I have to drain the cell to change the pump anyway and will pull apart and double check both filters .

18. just to eliminate some thing make sure the vent tube is clean and not plugged. with a vent hanging out of the trunk sucking in air who knows what else is being pulled up the tube. its out there picking all the dirt the car passes over. i have seen little filters put on these vents. if it has a tip valve on the vent is it open or possible stuck.

19. Saxxon

Saxxon

I have an basic inline gas filter at the end of my vent tucked up and hidden from site. Works great to keep the debris from being sucked into the tank

20. awsomeears

awsomeears

The group I was with had a blast, for me it was the 1st time racing my Nova ever, best time was 13.06 @ 109.6

My 60' were horrible or else I would have clicked off a high 12 run... I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked if anyone has any post them up.

The blue 4dr impala is my buddy Brian and man that thing is a sleeeeper !!!

[​IMG]

enloe and beebee78 like this.
  21. powrshftr

powrshftr

Bean:
    Just read your post on the YouTube video and went back and found this post.

All I'm gonna say is.......

STAY TUNED FOR NEXT YEAR....!!!

I've actually already been runnin my mouth about how if I do a cam and gear swap the Okie Doker better weld his doors shut so they don't get Blow'd Off...! :D

But it's a whole year away,so we better leave some smack talk in the tank for later!:)

Scott

30dodgeboy likes this.
  22. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool cars every corner of the facility, great time, and the spectators got a hell of a show. Car shifted better this year, maybe cause I took out the tach, was more fun with out it. I be looking for the American Graffitti 55 next year, way cool car..... 301 cu in dual quad... :)

23. tricky steve i forgot to ask you about those interesting oil returns on the back of your heads. tell us about them.

24. Hey Marc,I just tried to lkeave ya a pm but it didnt work....I yam [email protected] get in touch with me willya? Tanks! R~R

25. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Scott-

You have a year to get that "Lakeshore Shanker" ready for the Okie Doker. I hear you saying you might swap the cam and the gears, but I think the best chance you of beating me is to swap the Mustang out for a Chevy...

55belairx2 likes this.
  26. Better watch out Jeff, I hear he's planning something real special for the "Oprah Dorker", uh Opie Stripper, uh Oily Slicker, ah crap what was the name of that thing again:)

55belairx2 and 30dodgeboy like this.
  27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ric:
    Let the Oinky Doinker bring what he's got....

His ass is grass.....And the Shaker is one mean little lawnmower...! :D

Scott

28. Where's the 'sitting here eating popcorn and watching all of this go on' icon?
    ha ha ha

55belairx2 and powrshftr like this.
  29. powrshftr

powrshftr

AJ,
    You crack me up Man!:)

It's all in good fun.....Til the gloves come off at the track..;)

Scott