Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I the only one that don't like the new format ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by langy, Jul 26, 2014.

1. There are a lot of members mistaking the profile post for the conversations, I get a bunch of guys wanting transport quotes posting on my profile post. Maybe if we went back to calling them P.M.'s instead of "conversations" it would cure the problem

2. Maybe if people would take the time to read the tutorial that says Conversations replace PM's it wouldn't be a problem. Honestly I think the Tutorials should be pinned to the top of Main board with a giant READ THIS on it so people might actually look at them. I bet it would solve A LOT of issues.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've adjusted. Now, if the Android app were not so crashtacular.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Shhhhh, but you pushed the wrong button in the wrong screen and its way to easy to do.

Terminology can really mess things/you up, especially by tetchy users. I had a real hard time with chemistry because of term "mole". Maybe you need to adjust to I've "invited you to a conversation". With the older format you could do the exact same multiple recipients, just different.

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

This is a better than ANY daytime soap opera.:D

6. I think I knew that the new Conversation feature could be used in this way But honestly, I haven't run into an occasion yet where this new feature would be useful for me. I can see situations, though, when it could be useful.

I'm not debating whether the features work well or not. I've had no problems with the newer version so far. Sure it would help if everyone read the tutorials. But as you know, members are still posting inquiries about not bring able to post a reply to the classified ads.

I think what HRP and I were trying to say is that the previous Private Message feature was poorly and somewhat misleadingly renamed. Combined with a complete revamp of the site it added a bit more confusion to learning your way around the new site. Like I said, I can understand why some members might think "starting a Conversation" was something different than "sending a Private Message".

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need Louvers? and I have already used the multi-user conversion to help a fellow Falcon owner. It works well.

8. alsancle

alsancle

For whatever reason I went from 9 years of checking 2 times a day to once a week. Not sure why as I'm sure the content hasn't changed. Change is inevitable but hopefully this isn't a new coke situation.

9. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

TOUGH TO PM, SEEMS LIKE MY FAVORITE THREADS DON'T GET UPDATED AS OFTEN I GUESS WE WILL ALL GET USED TO IT...........OR MAYBE NOT

10. Everyone keeps saying it is tough to PM could someone explain what they are finding difficult? Maybe someone could point out how to make it easier if the actual problem was mentioned rather than just general comment s like it's tough or it doesn't work. What aspects as guys finding hard other than the fact that it is called a conversation rather than a PM?

gwhite likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I find the conversation model vastly superior to the old PM model.

12. For me, the easiest way to send a PM is to click on the member's name under their avatar. In the window that opens, click where it says "Start A Conversation". This opens a new page and from there it's pretty much the same as posting a response in the forums.

By default, when you click the blue "Start A Conversation" button to send your message, it will only be viewable by you and the member or members you've sent it to. If you want to allow others to be invited into the conversation, click that option below the blue button before you send the message.

13. I agree and the basic operation is identical to the old system other than nomenclature. The only real legitimate complaint I have heard is the lack of a pop up to inform you that you have a message. It seems some guys are having a hard time remembering to look at the tabs at the top of the page to see if they have a message.

14. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

I agree. I used to check in a couple of times a day now I just come on a couple of times a week and don't see anything after a few minutes and move on. Why was it changed anyway? Is it easier to monitor or something? I personally don't like it and as much as I used to come on I just don't like it enough to do it.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I don't see my original post as moaning, I was just giving an opinion of how I see it, I have no problem negotiating the site but I don't seem to see a lot of the threads I was following anymore, for instance my own thread on my Willys coupe doesn't appear in my threads ever although this one does ???

16. Doesn't ever appear in your threads? Are you saying it's not in your "watched threads" or can you not see it through your profile?

FWIW, I found your Willys thread in about 2 seconds through your profile, so I'm not sure what the problem is...

17. Under your watched threads tab, it shows all unread watched threads. At the bottom of the list is "show all watched threads" , hit that and it should come up. Ill bump it and see of it shows up under " unread watched threads"

18. Not sure I'm doing it correctly, because it takes me longer than 2 seconds.
    Click on name center of page or under the avatar ( not avatar pic)
    Go to " profile page"
    Find "information"
    Find "all threads started by langy"

Threads, posts and pms used to be 1 click on avatar. That was much easier.
    And having the read vs unread separated & new posts vs recent posts is not real easy like it used to be. It reminds me of a damn video game where you need to remember where all the coins and keys are to clear the level.

And btw that doesn't say "I click" it says -- 1 Click ( one click)

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its kinda weird mate, If I go to top left button and select Watched threads I see all my threads except my Willys coupe thread, also if I go to the righthand button and look at My threads again they are there but not the Willys coupe thread, spooky !!!

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Just checked my recent posts and the Willys thread ain't there either :confused:

21. Ok, do me a favor...go to your Willys thread and look just below the title toward the right hand side of the screen...it should say "watch thread" or "unwatch thread"...which does it say?

22. That is strange...I see it under "Recent Activity";
    langy.jpg

Under "Postings";
    langy2.jpg

And under "find all content" on your "information" page;
    langy3.jpg

23. Actually on the old system you had to click on the avatar, click on statistics and then click on all posts by or all threads started by so 3 clicks. It now takes 4 not a huge difference. You could however, click on the name a see more posts by the member but it was just their most recent posts no other option you could not find threads started by without going to their profile and doing the above routine. Pm's are still exactly the same click on the avatar and then click start a conversation the old way was click on Avatar then click on PM member. I think guys seem to be imagining how much easier the old system was compared to the new when if fact they are not that much different.

gwhite likes this.
  24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

It says unwatch thread

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I just checked my posts and the Willys thread is now showing up :D Not sure what you did but it worked !!!

26. Didn't do anything...sometimes it takes a few minutes for everything to "sync". If that thread says "unwatch", then you are "watching" it and should receive alerts.

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I just realised your looking at my Willys truck thread, I'm talking about my Willys coupe thread, sorry for any confusion.

28. You've got soo much cool shit that its hard to keep straight. Bumped your coupe thread too

29. Lol, gotcha. Try this, "unwatch" your coupe thread, then log out. Log back in and "watch" the thread.

Let me know when you've completed this and I'll 'bump' it to see if you get a notification.

30. SimonSez

SimonSez

You can still get to someones posts with 1 click on an avitar - just hover over the avitar and it shows the number of posts and then click on the number and it will go straight to them.