Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 frame with 8ba and f-100 box, header clearance question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 37 Millrat, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Pete

Pete

I just ran in to the same predicament, I moved the box back about six inches, remember.... It's a hot rod so you don't have to use the stock holes or location.

Pete-

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Really? your sense of hot rod aesthetic means nothing to me as you would not approve of the body going on the chassis anyhow. The concern is over heat transfer not a poll as to if it is pretty or "Ugly" Moving it backward is not possible because of pedal clearance and I do not want to move it forward. A certain level of maturity ids required and expected when responding to a post.
    Please don't waste my time again.

3. racemad55

racemad55

What I have done on mine is cut the front ear off the box just past the mounting hole, then there is enough material to drill another hole,also as said grind some off in a wedge shape also and make a much smaller wedge ,still close on the pinch bolt for the pitman arm.

4. Thanks, yeah the wedge plate has to go. I am gonna look into grinding that. Without the wedge and a little grinding it may be enough.

5. I just gotta jump in here!
    First, your headder pipe, looking at the pictures is on top of the box.
    Second, heat rises so not a whole lot is radiating downward to the oil in the box.
    Third, air doesn't transfer heat to easily from the pipe to the air to the case of the steering box to the oil in the box.
    Fourth, my car has an F-100 box in the standard holes in a 32 frame, with a set of Red's cheap headders with the regular hammer dent and kink and about 1/8 inch of clearance that runs alongside of the box for the whole length.
    I use Castrol 140 gear oil in the box. It's been on the road for 10 years and driven at least 40,000 miles with no problems other than a little weepage from never being rebuilt.
    Sometimes there really isn't a problem with what's been done in the past, and we still can learn a few things.
    Just my $.02

bct likes this.
  6. Make good sense to me. Thanks

7. prpmmp

prpmmp

Ten years and alot of miles!! Thats the facts!! Pete

8. Mart

Mart

Mickey made a perfectly valid point.
    I don't think you should have ranted at him like that.
    The setup you have, as it stands is severely compromised, and frankly "ugly". It certainly isn't pretty. If it were looking good you wouldn't be asking the question.

You can't move it forward, you can't move it back. If you leave it where it is it looks like it is too tight and the angle you have forced the pipe into can't be good.

It has already been established that virtually the only answer is to remove the flange and move the whole box outboard.

There was nothing immature in Mickey's comment, I am not sure about your reply.

Mart.

9. Again mart, it is a tech question about heat transfer not an opinion poll about pretty or "ugly".
    I like that you would stick up for your friend though.
    At the begining of the post I asked "Please respond if you have actual experience or have tried a similar thing." Do you? Several people with knowledge and experience answered the question and offered great solutions. It is up to me the direction I take with this and trying to be insulting does not sway my choice.
    I think Tony Martino hit the nail on the head and made a couple really good points. 10 years and 40 thousand miles is something cannot be disputed. The header is tacked together by me and I am not a professional fabricator but when I am done filling and grinding it will look fine. This is the way hot rods have been built for a long time.
    I don't think I ranted I clearly stated my opinion as you did.

10. frame bump for 32.jpg
    Saw this one in the 32 trad chassis post. Notice the f100 steering box is moved outboard with a bump in the frame. Neat idea!

11. Mart

Mart

Thanks for the measured response.

I do have experience. I have a similar setup in my RHD 32 framed A with Hudson steering. The problem is compounded by having the starter in that area too. I went over to headers recently and have tight clearances (1/4") between the header and the steering box.
    The Hudson box is moved outboard in the frame, with a new flange. I think this is what you ought to do with your f100 box to ease the exit of that first bend.

Here's my take on the tight clearance: If it is a fenderless hot rod with no hood sides, then the chances are there will be enough air circulating around so that heat will not have a chance to soak in. If it's fully fendered and has hood sides (especially solid hood sides) then you may have a problem.

My car is completely open and the heat soak has not proved to be a problem so far.

Have you considered a F1 box? It can help these clearance issues, but still needs a new flange. I have done that job as well.

Mart.

12. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Well i do have the experience too, but dont know your
    Possibilities of rework stuff.
    An F1 box with a new flange would give most clearence
    For the lake style headers.

Also when your german speech/typing gets as good as my english i will go back to school and learn more refined words.....till then i leave it that way :)

I use "liquid grease" from a tractor supply , its about the same
    As 600wt oil . It stays thick enough under heat so that your
    Box doesnt "leak"

If you like to see some of my work , check my albums...
    I hope the pics are still there

Without lake headers , reds has headers for nearly every application.

13. Thanks mart, yes it is an open hood car. Chances are good I am changing the flange to get rid of the wedge. I just want to know all the options available.

14. Thanks Micky, I have a pair of reds but wanted the headers outside. I think with the big header collector outside the car in the wind it will also tend to do some cooling on the header. The body for this is a cut down roadster pickup custom jalopy with a short bed 32 grille and no hood sides. good tip on the liquid greese.

15. touring20

touring20

Wow good post ! Got a f100 box in my 32 , 327 with f1 pedals very tight ! Box and oil filter almost touching . I have a wedge as well and might use a remote filter , if it will do me good Thanks !.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    I made this one myself.

17. Hey Tommy, would like to see a closer view of the box and header from the front.

18. Hey touring 20, you have a picture to share?